Rattling volume pot

mphw

Hi all, new joiner to the forums, hope you're all well!
I got a second hand CE24 - amazing guitar and totally stoked to own a PRS at last! Slight issue with it I didn't notice when buying, is the volume pot spindle rattles. It's not really noticeable when playing, but it feels irritating when rolling the knob and is audible if hit by the picking hand. I am assuming I will need to get the pot replaced, unless someone can suggest an easy way of tightening it up perhaps? TIA - keep safe!

Is it just the spindle itself or is the pot moving? If it's the pot, it's easy - pop the knob and tighten the nut there (carefully so you don't scratch the top). If it's the spindle, I'll have to defer to the others here.

Is it just the spindle itself or is the pot moving? If it's the pot, it's easy - pop the knob and tighten the nut there (carefully so you don't scratch the top). If it's the spindle, I'll have to defer to the others here.
Thanks. It's the spindle itself unfortunately. I popped the knob thinking the same about the nut tighten, but it's only the spindle moving in it's sleeve.

Hi all, new joiner to the forums, hope you're all well!
I got a second hand CE24 - amazing guitar and totally stoked to own a PRS at last! Slight issue with it I didn't notice when buying, is the volume pot spindle rattles. It's not really noticeable when playing, but it feels irritating when rolling the knob and is audible if hit by the picking hand. I am assuming I will need to get the pot replaced, unless someone can suggest an easy way of tightening it up perhaps? TIA - keep safe!
Most pots are assembled by crimping ears on the back cover onto the front (threaded nut) section. The wiper disc attached to the shaft is sandwiched in between. If the pot takes an impact straight to the front, on the knob I mean, it can loosen the back from the front. You might remove the pot and see if you can tighten the metal ears holding it. Failing that, it’s just a few solder connections to replace it.

I found a pic of the internals, which might help you understand what might rattle if it’s loose.

disassembled-pot-guitar-amp-carbon-track-contacts.jpg

Last edited:
Most pots are assembled by crimping ears on the back cover onto the front (threaded nut) section. The wiper disc attached to the shaft is sandwiched in between. If the pot takes an impact straight to the front, on the knob I mean, it can loosen the back from the front. You might remove the pot and see if you can tighten the metal ears holding it. Failing that, it’s just a few solder connections to replace it.

I found a pic of the internals, which might help you understand what might rattle if it’s loose.

Great pic.

That's amazing - thanks for the pic and advice. I'll have to brave it and take it out to look further, but I may just get it replaced.

Back