Ratcheting F clamps for repairs?

Scott Kaplan

Are ratcheting F clamps suitable for regluing a fingerboard? Whenever I watch repair videos they always use the screw adjustable type

A clamp is a clamp. Glue and wood don't care what the clamp looks like or how it mechanically functions. Long as the pressure is there....

**edit** - Also, too many people use too much clamping pressure. All you need is 'just enough'. You want a little squeeze out, but you don't want to mash it so much it starves the joint. You also want your pieces to fit together nicely. Clamping doesn't solve a poor fit.... It just delays the inevitable.

Maybe a spoonful of sugar ……

…….helps the fretboard go down.

On a serious note, I've not tried sugar, granulated grains would be too big I would say, and caster too fine.

I'll stick to the table salt, and might try sugar on a scrap while I'm up to no good in the workshop :D

On a serious note, I've not tried sugar, granulated grains would be too big I would say, and caster too fine.

I'll stick to the table salt, and might try sugar on a scrap while I'm up to no good in the workshop :D

No don’t, the locating pins was a serious suggestion, the song was because I was getting my Julie Andrew’s thing on!

Back