$Rant? Rave Review? I can't decide. PRS SE Zach Meyers 2017 model.

so I've spent a few band practices with this guitar (the S2 single-cut standard) and here's what i think; I played it with my rock cover band and my r&b, soul, blues pop band. First, the guitars weight is great. The guitar feels great to play. Stays in tune well, and has good intonation. The sound of the guitar is more warm and mellow, not biting or shrill. But the high end is still there. Nothing wrong with this guitar. The coil tap is better than many others. Sounds great with distortion and has good clean rhythm sounds. I really cant complain about much, if anything; I think these strings are pretty old, have probably been on the guitar since sometime in 2018, possibly even several months or longer.

so I've spent a few band practices with this guitar (the S2 single-cut standard) and here's what i think; I played it with my rock cover band and my r&b, soul, blues pop band. First, the guitars weight is great. The guitar feels great to play. Stays in tune well, and has good intonation. The sound of the guitar is more warm and mellow, not biting or shrill. But the high end is still there. Nothing wrong with this guitar. The coil tap is better than many others. Sounds great with distortion and has good clean rhythm sounds. I really cant complain about much, if anything; I think these strings are pretty old, have probably been on the guitar since sometime in 2018, possibly even several months or longer.

Weird that you have a coil tap. The stock pickups are only 2 conductor so there is no coil tap as standard like on some other SE models. I do really like mine and find it pretty versatile so long as I make full use of volume and tone knobs.

Weird that you have a coil tap. The stock pickups are only 2 conductor so there is no coil tap as standard like on some other SE models. I do really like mine and find it pretty versatile so long as I make full use of volume and tone knobs.

i think you misunderstand, I am talking about the S2 singlecut standard satin 2018 model, Not an SE.

i think you misunderstand, I am talking about the S2 singlecut standard satin 2018 model, Not an SE.

Ah ok. Sorry I came back from a notification responding to the thread before and saw Zach Myers in the thread title. That's actually something I will probably end up doing to my ZM eventually. Congrats on the S2, quite a few people prefer the feel of those to the core models :)

I just bought a New 2017 Zach Meyers SE From a retailer. I was trying out every guitar in the store within the $600 to $1,000 range, looking for a rock solid instrument that stayed in tune and would intonate beautifully. I was about to buy an Ibanez Iron Label (hard tail version) when I saw the PRS ZM SE. It was the first time I ever played a PRS (SE) and I couldn't believe how well the guitar felt and sounded, as well as how great the guitar looked. Just Wow. So i bought it. Here's my experience two three hour gigs later: 1.Clean sound is beautiful
2.Guitar is light and comfortable.
3.Plays like butter.
4.Looks sexy as hell.
5.Intonation is great.
6. Have to tune after nearly every song to maintain proper tuning!!! (with 9 gauge strings and 9.5 gauge strings)

So I either take it back for store credit and get the Ibanez, or i try to fix what PRS should have never let out of the factory. I've seen the You Tube video; supposedly each SE guitar spends about 15 minutes in the hands of someone who sets up the guitar and QC. What the hell happened here? I spend $800 and still have to put time and effort (and more money) in making this guitars most fundamental aspect proper? Have those guys heard of bending strings while playing? I have a $1500 fender tele that i rarely have to tune during a gig. Will a prs core nut fit this SE?

I had a se ZM and loved it every bit of it . have the store's tech set up the guitar. including the nut. or replace the nut like the others mentioned.
it was my first PRS. I wish they made a core version sc semi hollow. maybe they do but I haven't seen it.

Ah ok. Sorry I came back from a notification responding to the thread before and saw Zach Myers in the thread title. That's actually something I will probably end up doing to my ZM eventually. Congrats on the S2, quite a few people prefer the feel of those to the core models :)
sorry no S2 for me.

Congrats on the S2. My S2’s are the first guitars out the door if it’s a good gig. The SE’s do the lesser gigs, and the core are great, but there’s something about the S2’s the last couple of years............

This model guitar has been on my radar, in Trampas Green for a long while, but I'm gun shy with too many electrics as is. It's a beautiful guitar, but tuning would be an issue if that is the case. I would take it immediately to my guy and have a bone nut installed and cut properly anyway.

Back