Random question of the day

ArnaudS1979

So with PRSs having a different scale length to Fenders and Gibsons, that got me wondering, could you make a guitar with any scale length you want, or are there some rules to follow? I understand it has an impact on the sound of the guitar, but theoretically, could you?

Yes, any scale length is possible. The only real limitations are the reach of most humans (a scale length of 6 feet would be difficult to handle).

The rest is just math.

So are we saying that between 24.75 and 25.5 is going to give you the best balance between sound and playability (string tension and fingering ability)?

So are we saying that between 24.75 and 25.5 is going to give you the best balance between sound and playability (string tension and fingering ability)?
Partly, since human hands probably don't form chord well with huge scale lengths at the end near the nut, while the same is true at much shorter scales. I think ~25" +/- 1" allows the most natural chord formations at the zeroth fret area.

I think of it also as the conventional scale length ranges arrived at through years of lessons learned and construction compromises. It might be that 27" scale, but with bridge at far end of body, is more ideal for one thing, but less ideal for others.

So, I suppose I am agreeing with your summary.

I don't think the range stops there. Play a ukulele, play a mandolin, play a violin. The make it work somehow.

I don't think the range stops there. Play a ukulele, play a mandolin, play a violin. The make it work somehow.

So that would make it a defining trait of a guitar. As the others do work as you said but they are different instruments. Never thought of this in this way.

Back