Random. No more or less

Guys you don’t get it. I have certain standards that I need to aspire to. I have come so far with what I have set out for myself. I would love to be able rip off a Van Halen tune or something along those lines but I am not even there yet. I can’t lower my standards. To me that isn’t the answer. I have to keep on pushing but to what point?
I think you need to keep it fun, as you stated earlier. I know my place in my band and I'm accepting of it. I keep learning and enjoying.
I'm not going to beat myself up over where I stack up compared to others.
Enjoy the learning and keep that smile on your face.

I think you need to keep it fun, as you stated earlier. I know my place in my band and I'm accepting of it. I keep learning and enjoying.
I'm not going to beat myself up over where I stack up compared to others.
Enjoy the learning and keep that smile on your face.
I know that I should think like this but it’s really hard for me to think along in those terms at times!

quote-don-t-worry-don-t-be-afraid-ever-because-this-is-just-a-ride-bill-hicks-67-87-27.jpg

Guys you don’t get it. I have certain standards that I need to aspire to. I have come so far with what I have set out for myself. I would love to be able rip off a Van Halen tune or something along those lines but I am not even there yet. I can’t lower my standards. To me that isn’t the answer. I have to keep on pushing but to what point?

^what these guys have said^

It’s not a case of lowering your standards, it’s about taking it a piece at a time and then realising that the phrase, lick, chord sequence etc. that you thought was out of reach, becomes attainable.

A lot of sage advice has already been given Lola. You need to take a positive approach to things, put the work in and then you will meet your goals.

You may find it worthwhile to get a copy of "The Inner Game of Music." It helped me overcome a number self imposed barriers to my progress.

A lot of sage advice has already been given Lola. You need to take a positive approach to things, put the work in and then you will meet your goals.

You may find it worthwhile to get a copy of "The Inner Game of Music." It helped me overcome a number self imposed barriers to my progress.
I have that book and I read it 10 years ago. Maybe time to refresh my memory.

I have that book and I read it 10 years ago. Maybe time to refresh my memory.
It certainly will not hurt! "Zen Guitar" by Philip Toshio Sudo is another good one. "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner is another and it come with a CD with guided mediations.

"Thinking in Jazz -The Infinite Art of Improvisation" is an incredible work that is well worth the effort to explore.

Music is a language. Consider how we learn to speak, from simple copying of sounds and then making associations between the sounds and objects/action etc all the way through to leaning grammar and extended vocabulary in order to communicate complex thoughts and ideas. When I started to apply that thinking to my playing things fell into place.

Music is a language. Consider how we learn to speak, from simple copying of sounds and then making associations between the sounds and objects/action etc all the way through to leaning grammar and extended vocabulary in order to communicate complex thoughts and ideas. When I started to apply that thinking to my playing things fell into place.
I understand exactly what your saying. Like a baby Learning to crawl.

I am still good friends with my mate from the very first band I was in but got fired. I was green, naïve and inexperienced. He’s sort of like a big brother to me. I ask for advice or opinions. He’s never failed me yet and vice versa.

I was in a band with one of my good friends. We live a long way away from each other now, but when we talk or get together it’s like we were never apart.

He and I have a very similar sense of humour and had such a blast playing together all those years ago.

Isn’t amazing how a chemistry between two strangers can evolve into such a friendship?

That happened with me and the guitar player in my very first band foray. He moved to Boston but we talk every couple of weeks. Such a humble guy.

Sitting here watching and listening to the ice pellets hit the picture window in the living room. I am a dog sandwich. Lol One across my legs and one either side of me. They have had their playtime with all their toys and now they’re sleeping.

Do you ever have guilt eat you to the eyeballs because you haven’t picked up your guitar for whatever length of time?
No.

Usually, if I'm not playing guitar for a bit, it's because I'm working on ad music, piano or orchestral music instead. A person can only do so much.

However, taking periodic breaks is important to remaining creative from time to time, too. When we get back at it, we often bring different experiences/inspirations into play. Also, the hands and brain need recuperative time. All to the good!

Back