Random. No more or less

@Moondogwilly I love your dream. It blew me away to think what the mind is capable of, I mean when it comes to dreaming.
What an amazing dream and to think that you were able to continue on when you went back to sleep.

I have had 2 detailed dreams about EVH being at my neighbours house just kickin’ it with her and when I went over for a coffee as we usually do IRL I met Eddie. In my dream I lost my mind.I woke up crying. Why? Idk.

Had a second dream about him a few weeks later. Eddie was in the neighborhood and so he decided to pop in on me. We went for a walk together. Eddie was 20 something in my dream.

I will never forget these two dreams.
V Cool on the EVH visits in the dream world! Sounds like a great time hanging with that legend!! Now if we could just dream away the medical issues, right (including migraines)!!!

I need to learn this. I love this song. I am so motivated by it. Still have 4 other projects on the go but I definitely have learn this.

Great song! Always my favorite "Southern Rock Anthem." (@ScottR get your epi pen...) BETTER than Freebird!!!

And, great jam song, but nothing too tricky on learning to replicate this song. Solos are good and fit the song, but not difficult. FUN song to play.

Great song! Always my favorite "Southern Rock Anthem." (@ScottR get your epi pen...) BETTER than Freebird!!!

And, great jam song, but nothing too tricky on learning to replicate this song. Solos are good and fit the song, but not difficult. FUN song to play.
This will be a major project for me personally. I haven’t been playing as long as some of you guys. I just asked our singer if she think she could handle this and I am waiting for a response.

This song brings back so many good memories. My son on Guitar Hero guitar, an me on drums and my other son with the vocals and then we would switch. We had so much fun.

You know those songs you hear and immediately you are drawn to happier times in the past?

Last edited:
This will be a major project for me personally. I haven’t been playing as long as some of you guys.
Don't be intimidated by the length of the song. Yes, it's 9 minutes or so, but the form is rather basic on the verse-chorus structure in the beginning and the chord structure is not hard and is repetitive. The end is just a jam over a simple chord progression. You can do this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be intimidated by the length of the song. Yes, it's 9 minutes or so, but the form is rather basic on the verse-chorus structure in the beginning and the chord structure not hard and repetitive. The end is just a jam over a simple chord progression. You can do this!
Thank you for believing in me. That’s a part of the equation to beating this. Thank you so much for your unbridled support. You are a wonderfully kind and as always your always incredibly supportive!

Thank you for believing in me. That’s a part of the equation to beating this. Thank you so much for your unbridled support. You are a wonderfully kind and as always your always incredibly supportive!
As much as I like this song, it's not complicated. And, while long, the chord structure is simple and repeats. So yeah, it's a LONG song, but not a complex one. So yes, I know you can do this! And when you do, record it, so we can post it up and say "Better than Freebird!" LOL

I played it years ago when I had a couple buddies that were good southern rock players. We'd meet at the one guys house, get some beers and some doobage, and play 20 minute long versions of Freebird, Green Grass... and Highway Song (Blackfoot) and just have a ball jamming and taking turns on solos. After an hour and a half of that, we'd take a beer break and I'd start playing Van Halen, Rush and Ozzy stuff. When they came back, we'd compromise and play some Jimi and Trower. I think my ears are still ringing from those da$& cymbals crashing just 10 feet from my ear!

@DreamTheaterRules you are quite the accomplished player. I am not in your league yet but nothing is stopping me. As soon as I get better I have so much to look forward too. This is so exciting! All kidding aside. It’s ppl like you that augment the confidence that I already possess. I am indebted!

The Outlaws are my favorite southern rock band. I'd even go so far as to say they're better than Skynyrd. First time I saw them was in the 80s - a stadium show/demolition derby. Went to see them a few years ago because my buddy is a big fan, and I was blown away at how good they still are. Tix go on sale tom'w for their pretty much annual show around here - next November. I'll be all over those bad boys. We saw them three times this year, including the annual show on a Saturday followed by an acoustic fund-raiser performance less than 24 hours later. Both great.

Green Grass And High Tides is a great song, and a big part of the soloing extravaganza is the dynamics and tension points that they've built into the solos. I don't know how faithfully the current guitarists play the solos, but I don't care - they sound awesome.

I would absolutely love to see these guys live. I never remember them though ever coming to Toronto.

Green grass & High tides is a song that really speaks to me. Not the lyrics but just their sound alone. This right up my alley. It takes me away from this crazy world and into a world of something that I don’t hear too often.

I don’t like the Allman Bros., Leonard Skinner(I over played them when I was younger) or any other Southern rock band with the exception of these guys. I have always held these guys in my go to place if I feel like listening to SR.

I really would love to master this song and start now but I have to give my body time to heal.

I got my PRS back today from repair and I desperately wanted to pick it up and play. Just have to wait until I am better.

Well it’s 1:39 am and here I sit trying to learn the intro to Green grass and high tides. I didn’t last very long did I? Lol I have a tiny pillow between the guitar and my stomach. Everything is a okay. Probably be up all night doing this. Everyone is fast asleep, thank god for headphones.

Something I never knew about my PRS. They automatically get set up with 10’s for strings. All along I thought they were like a 9/42. My fingers have gained some strength along the way. These 10’s are really easy. I can remember playing with 8’s at one point. I did like those.

Starting to analyze this song via the lessons on YouTube and it certainly looks very doable. Just a helluva of a lot of doable.

Ya, a project I’m the making but so much damned fun already.

Last edited:
Another guitar dream. Nothing to talk about except being freaked out because I was late to rehearsal. I don’t know exactly what msg my sub conscious is trying to reveal to me.

I think I might have a clue. Get my a$$ out of bed and start practicing before it’s too late.

Last edited:
@DreamTheaterRules you are quite the accomplished player. I am not in your league yet but nothing is stopping me. As soon as I get better I have so much to look forward too. This is so exciting! All kidding aside. It’s ppl like you that augment the confidence that I already possess. I am indebted!
I don't know about all the first part of the post, but as you've posted later, you can get this down. It's not hard. One section at a time.

Are you wanting to do the whole rhythm parts and the leads as well? Or just the rhythm?

I don't know about all the first part of the post, but as you've posted later, you can get this down. It's not hard. One section at a time.

Are you wanting to do the whole rhythm parts and the leads as well? Or just the rhythm?
I want to learn the complete song.

I am sure you have been playing a way longer then me. It makes me wanna cry because I started too late in life at the age of 46. I might never get as good as I want to be.

I am sorry to get emotional but the above statement haunts me constantly. Why didn’t I start earlier. I ask myself that a way too much but have no answer!

I want to learn the complete song.

I am sure you have been playing a way longer then me. It makes me wanna cry because I started too late in life at the age of 46. I might never get as good as I want to be.

I am sorry to get emotional but the above statement haunts me constantly. Why didn’t I start earlier. I ask myself that a way too much but have no answer!
We all have regrets in life. What matters is that you DID start playing. And it doesn't take decades of experience to play. I was better at 21 (with 5 years experience) than I am now. But before a job/familly/life, etc got in the way, I played more, so like anything, the more you practice, the better you are. Plus I didn't have arthritis in my hand, wrist and fingers then.

Just remember with anything, start out slower than the song is played and learn the chords/notes first, then with practice, bring them up to speed. Also, (and I'm guilty of not doing this a lot) but ALWAYS try to play with metronome, unless you are playing along with tracks. I learned by playing along with albums, which I found fun and inspiring. Way better than just sitting down with a chord sheet and trying to learn a song. You get to hear the band and enjoy the song WHILE learning it. If you haven't tried that way before, I'd try it. Just jam along with some albums to get used to it. While I'd never tell someone to abandon studying out of a book and learning to read music, etc., if you're in a rut, this is a FUN ENJOYABLE way to learn music while breaking rut. Plus, it will develop your ear, which is critical when playing live with others!

I play a lot by ear. This is a skill that I picked while taking clarinet and piano lessons. I can usually hear things once or twice and then replicate it.

I would rather play while listening to the jam tracks. It’s just so much more fun then reading tab. Too slow to read standard musical notation. I haven’t done that in ages.

I have some projects on the go for our band as well.

It’s all about fun and if it’s not, while I am not doing it. My heart and soul usually dictate what I play and practice. I am an emotional player as I am sure many of you are as well.

Once again DreamTheatreRules thank you for your input and encouragement. It means a great deal to me!!

Guys you don’t get it. I have certain standards that I need to aspire to. I have come so far with what I have set out for myself. I would love to be able rip off a Van Halen tune or something along those lines but I am not even there yet. I can’t lower my standards. To me that isn’t the answer. I have to keep on pushing but to what point?

Back