Random. No more or less

Give us some of your proudest sports moments.
I spent all of my hockey life between the pipes. In my younger years I took a serious run at the Tier 1 Calgary Centennials, but only made the tier 2 league. That's where my knees went sideways (literally LOL). Spent 30 years on the ice playing right up into my late 30's; all recreational in senior and the Alberta Major Intermediate league and eventually old timer leagues. Broken foot and blocker hand (including the insert in my blocker, some guys in the higher leagues shot bullets) and got my bell rung several times from slap shots between the lookers. Played a ton of baseball and fastball up until I was 40 (that netted me a broken jaw when I misread bunt and took a line drive in the head). But had one totally awesome tournament with no strikeouts and 4 homers, a double and a triple over two games. The motorcycle race crash was my own bad, just had terrible results. Was having a great weekend up until I screwed the pooch. Took a few lumps in the karate ring, but never really got hurt fighting. Recreation does have consequences, but I probably wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over again; yeah, it was serious fun.

I spent all of my hockey life between the pipes. In my younger years I took a serious run at the Tier 1 Calgary Centennials, but only made the tier 2 league. That's where my knees went sideways (literally LOL). Spent 30 years on the ice playing right up into my late 30's; all recreational in senior and the Alberta Major Intermediate league and eventually old timer leagues. Broken foot and blocker hand (including the insert in my blocker, some guys in the higher leagues shot bullets) and got my bell rung several times from slap shots between the lookers. Played a ton of baseball and fastball up until I was 40 (that netted me a broken jaw when I misread bunt and took a line drive in the head). But had one totally awesome tournament with no strikeouts and 4 homers, a double and a triple over two games. The motorcycle race crash was my own bad, just had terrible results. Was having a great weekend up until I screwed the pooch. Took a few lumps in the karate ring, but never really got hurt fighting. Recreation does have consequences, but I probably wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over again; yeah, it was serious fun.
Wow! That sounds like quite the adventurous lifestyle. It sounds like a very crazy, fun and productive lifestyle AND you did it YOUR way. Not many ppl can say that.

Give us some of your proudest sports moments. Like a touchdown etc. I bet you had a lot of fun. Memories.
I was a decent tennis player. My favorite match (in fact, the only one I clearly remember) was beating my first (and only) law firm boss. You had to win, on the court, and in court, to earn his respect. So there was a modicum of vindication.

He was a fine athlete and a wonderful guy, and we remained friends until his death, one that came way too soon last summer.

The last time I attempted tennis after a many-year layoff, I realized I was hilariously past being able to play the game. Such is life. It goes by in a whir. As my wife always reminds me, "Use it or lose it."

I was to lazy to amount to anything sports wise, but I had lightening fast reflexes which made for some exhilarating moments and gave me the opportunity to play whenever I felt like it. And I was tireless. I just needed time to drink some water and I could play another match. I was good for 3 matches a day if I was feeling motivated.

Are we still talking about sports, cuz I got some stories. :p

Let ‘em rip!

I have one. When I was in a small competition for a bike race I got side swept by another cyclist and tore the skin off from hip to my knee on my right leg. Severe road rash. That was like a pain from another world.
OUCH!

I have way too many sports stories. Pretty much played competitive sports into my mid 50s. So, pick a category: Good ones, funny ones, bad ones... LOL

Here's one related to guitar. (Most here already know this) I got undercut while going up for a rebound, and fell backwards over the guys shoulders. I managed to get my left hand down to break my fall. I broke my wrist and after a few months, gave up on playing guitar and sold all my guitar except my Ibanez Artist that was my high school graduation present. It was over 10 years before I could try to start playing guitar again but I did.

Meantime, I never quit playing sports (even played softball and basketball while the cast was still on!) but that injury cost me 10 years of guitar playing and the first few back I was limited to 15-30 minutes at a time before pain made me stop. But I eventually got everything stretched back out to where I could play again.

I did a karate kata once with my leg in a cast (broken leg). Wasn't pretty but I did it. After I finished and the class was over I asked Sensei why he made me do it: "I never said you had to, just asked if you thought you could. You showed me you could."
Lesson learned.
Can I play like David Gilmour?
Nope, but I can have a lash...

OUCH!

I have way too many sports stories. Pretty much played competitive sports into my mid 50s. So, pick a category: Good ones, funny ones, bad ones... LOL

Here's one related to guitar. (Most here already know this) I got undercut while going up for a rebound, and fell backwards over the guys shoulders. I managed to get my left hand down to break my fall. I broke my wrist and after a few months, gave up on playing guitar and sold all my guitar except my Ibanez Artist that was my high school graduation present. It was over 10 years before I could try to start playing guitar again but I did.

Meantime, I never quit playing sports (even played softball and basketball while the cast was still on!) but that injury cost me 10 years of guitar playing and the first few back I was limited to 15-30 minutes at a time before pain made me stop. But I eventually got everything stretched back out to where I could play again.
That would really devastate me if I couldn’t play again. I am so careful and vigilant about my hands.

Are we still talking about sports, cuz I got some stories. :p
I played soccer once. I actually played very well and was about to make the JV team in Junior High, then I ripped my hamstring. ( I really should have stretched more) needless to say, I missed the entire season. I got into distance Bicycling for awhile and despite being hit by a car, kept that up until my early 20's. now I just play computer games and watch NASCAR.

Back