Random. No more or less

What great memories. My brothers and I bickering over who got to get the prize out of the cereal box. If it was one of those plastic submarines that you put baking soda in to propel it, it was there’s. And then off to watch Saturday morning cartoons. And then it was the Twilight zone at 8;00 which was my bedtime. If my parents had gone out my brothers would let me stay up with them and watch it. They would be merciless with their taunts that would scare me to death especially when we slept out in the tent in the backyard on summer nights.

What was the best Christmas present that you ever received when you were very young and maybe still believed in Santa?

Mine was a second had bike that my father reburbished. It was teal and white. I can remember wanting to take it outside and ride that very minute. Nostalgia. These memories are priceless.

I’ve driven myself crazy a few times looking for an old episode of a show that terrified me as a kid.

I can’t remember if it’s Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock presents, but it was B&W and something about an escapee and ends with a pan of the basement showing a window flapping in the rain. Like, the person was already in the house!

The Twilight Zone movie from the 80’s was where my “boogie man” came from as a kid. That gremlin on the plane wing (with John Lithgow reprising William Shatner’s role from the show) was what I’d imagine was living under the stairs of our family’s basement when the lights got turned off and I had to bolt for my life upstairs.

There was one episode I have been looking for with the ppl who had pigs heads.
I saw that one!

One thing I remember about that show was that when I watched it regularly, it was not a consistent love, hate, like, it's OK, or whatever. I'd like one episode, really like the next, the one after that I wouldn't care for much... I guess it was "out there" enough that it was hit or miss with me a lot of times, but "hit" enough that I still watched it regularly.

I’ve driven myself crazy a few times looking for an old episode of a show that terrified me as a kid.

I can’t remember if it’s Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock presents, but it was B&W and something about an escapee and ends with a pan of the basement showing a window flapping in the rain. Like, the person was already in the house!

The Twilight Zone movie from the 80’s was where my “boogie man” came from as a kid. That gremlin on the plane wing (with John Lithgow reprising William Shatner’s role from the show) was what I’d imagine was living under the stairs of our family’s basement when the lights got turned off and I had to bolt for my life upstairs.
I remember that one. That also terrified me! Absolutely frightening.

Was the Outer limits made before the Twilight zone? I don’t remember much about it.

I'm not one to admire in the least! After all these years, I've simply realized that everyone has something wonderful to offer when it comes to creativity.

Props to all of you!
That's an interesting observation. I talked to a young guy last night who failed music class because he found what they were doing boring and felt he could do something more interesting. We got talking about guitar and his was terribly out of tune, but he could still be creative with it. I'll set hi up with something better in the next little while.

I don’t know where to put this. My SG keeps on going out of tune between songs. I played one song last night and then went to the next and it sounded flat. I got out my tuner and sure enough it was flat. The only string I have ever had a problem with was the G string but now every string is flat. This is a conundrum. I can’t figure it out. Any ideas?

I don’t know where to put this. My SG keeps on going out of tune between songs. I played one song last night and then went to the next and it sounded flat. I got out my tuner and sure enough it was flat. The only string I have ever had a problem with was the G string but now every string is flat. This is a conundrum. I can’t figure it out. Any ideas?

You are NOT going to trick us into talking about your G-string!

You said a couple days ago that you were going to limit yourself to 15 minutes - is it possible that the guitar is just warming up and you're done before it settles in? Mine are usually a few degrees sharp when I first pull them out, but if I tune them down, they go flat after a song or two, just while they're warming up. If I just play about five minutes or so first, they're almost spot on in tune and they stay that way.

My fiddles usually come out of the case 5-10cts flat. If I just play them aggressively for about 5 minutes, they are then back in tune or within a cent or two. I generally don't have the patience though, so I tune them up and then after 5 minutes they are a bit too sharp so I tune them back down! From there on, they stay in tune (PRS) unless I take a long break and then the process starts all over again! Classic expansion/contraction from the body and friction generated heat/lack thereof!

I've been an SG Special owner since 1967. Gibsons are notorious for the G going out of tune. The reason lies with the headstock design. If you compare the angle from the nut to the tuning machine with your PRS, you'll see that the angle on the Gibson is far greater, and that the PRS offers close to straight string pull.

Why the angle should affect it more or less, I have no idea. But I found the same problem existed with mine.

Back in the day when Gibson designed their headstock, it's possible that players used a wound G - this is just a guess on my part, since 1967 was so long ago my brain from that era has dissolved into dust.

I do know that wound Gs were more prevalent then, I just don't remember what was on my guitar originally.

One of the reasons that PRS designed one of the first Non-Fender style guitars with straight string pull on all the strings was to keep the tuning more stable. The original string pull with the winged tuners that came on the first factory designs was just about perfectly straight. It deviates a little now with the current, non-winged tuners, but not enough to affect the tuning.

However, even the very slight angle from he nut to the current tuner's peg on the G is far, far less than with the Gibson.

Anyway, I believe that's your answer.

I'm guessing that you already stretch your strings well, and that you wind enough wraps on the peg of your Gibson to prevent slippage. If not, do that. Otherwise there isn't much that can be done. You might try a different brand of strings, or go to a higher gauge string. There is something called the String Butler that was designed for Gibsons. It's a non-permanent gizmo that puts the strings straight at the nut, and it just clamps onto the strings. I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it, but I'd sure try if I had to depend on a Gibson for my work.

There are lots of reasons I find PRSes superior to Gibsons, and one of them is staying in tune much better, but there are an awful lot of little tweaks that PRS simply thought through more carefully or in light of acquired knowledge, compared to Gibson. When you get a PRS, you really do get a guitar where the details were sweated over to the nth degree for players.

My Gibson lives with my son in LA. I don't miss it.

Last edited:
Back