Random. No more or less

I know exactly how you felt! I heard about it at work and freaked out. My guitar heroes will always be Mr. Edward Van Halen as well Angus Young. When I got home after work I cried my eyes out. It took me many months before I could even listen to VH.

What an amazing and touching picture. Goes to show how fast it all goes by.

Day off and up and practicing Unchained already, with headphones. There are so many little details( sound, techniques and timing) to wrap my head around so I get the sound as close as possible. I do love my flanger. It’s the classic Eddiesque tone. My amp is really excellent but I wish I had some of the old school Marshall’s Eddie played on. That “brown sound”!

Later on if the weather permits I am going to busk all afternoon in our beautiful neighborhood park. It has a huge gazebo with a stage. Just absolutely perfect!

This is going to be a great day. Finding my mojo again has given me an incredible boost to my motivation.

I don’t have to ask myself why I play because I just know I will never stop loving to play. I always knew that though! It just took awhile to resurface. I am so excited!

Last edited:
My guitar playing has been taking a back seat to my annual ride every day of the Tour. I think next year I should build a guitar equivalence into my formula. Playing Beethoven could be worth 100m of climbing. Playing Free Bird might be negative 10km, or maybe minus 1km for every minute you play it.
Sweet Home Alabama = -1,000,000.000

I despise that friggn’ song!! Makes me wanna throat punch somebody every time I hear it! Kinda like when I hear somebody scream “Rowwwww Tide”

Yup just checked…just triggered myself…now I wanna throat punch somebody because I typed it!:mad:

Last edited:
Day off and up and practicing Unchained already, with headphones. There are so many little details( sound, techniques and timing) to wrap my head around so I get the sound as close as possible. I do love my flanger. It’s the classic Eddiesque tone. My amp is really excellent but I wish I had some of the old school Marshall’s Eddie played on. That “brown sound”!

Later on if the weather permits I am going to busk all afternoon in our beautiful neighborhood park. It has a huge gazebo with a stage. Just absolutely perfect!

This is going to be a great day. Finding my mojo again has given me an incredible boost to my motivation.

I don’t have to ask myself why I play because I just know I will never stop loving to play. I always knew that though! It just took awhile to resurface. I am so excited!
Yup!! Sounds like an awesome day! Soak it all in and enjoy!

This is just bloody crazy!!! I am sitting here trying to practice Unchained but I am so excited that I am finally able to pull this off I am shaking I almost can’t play. I can feel the adrenaline coursing through my body!!! This is monumental for me.

This is just bloody crazy!!! I am sitting here trying to practice Unchained but I am so excited that I am finally able to pull this off I am shaking I almost can’t play. I can feel the adrenaline coursing through my body!!! This is monumental for me.
Once tuned correctly for that song, the rhythm part is not that hard. You said you were doing it with an SG so you'll have to slide around where he's using the vibrato. Don't laugh... my first "good" guitar, the one learned to play the first 3-4 albums on, was an Ibanez Artist... no vibrato. I'd do slides for all the dive bombs etc. until I finally got my Kramer Barretta with a Floyd on it.

Another Derek & Clive fan! I bought a cassette of theirs with this little ditty on it in Toronto back in the 80s. Loaned it to a friend, and his car got stolen. Some years later, I made another trek to Toronto and found a CD with it (yes, I've driven 5+ hours to buy CDs, but that wasn't the main purpose of that trip - just don't ask about the second Sarah McLachlan album).

Now I've got to get these lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's bum...

Ironically, several years ago I worked for a lady from Amsterdam.

Honest to God, Alnus, that's the funniest little ditty I've ever heard. I can just picture some old Irish gent reciting it in a little pub somewhere.

As Alan says, it’s Derek & Clive.

Sorry to butt in to the Eddie conversation.

I have a whammy on my Parker but am having a bit of trouble doing Eddie’s horse and dive bombs. If I am going to start playing VH I have to learn these techniques. These sounds are what ppl identify VH with.

I have a whammy on my Parker but am having a bit of trouble doing Eddie’s horse and dive bombs. If I am going to start playing VH I have to learn these techniques. These sounds are what ppl identify VH with.

I don't remember much of anything about the Parker trem, but not all trems can do the dive bomb thing like a Floyd can.

I after the technique on how to perform this correctly. I can’t do it half arsed!

As Alan says, it’s Derek & Clive.
Yes, thanks to both of you for enlightening me on that. Good thing I was not eating or drinking anything that day when I first read that ditty or it would have been all over the kitchen! Don't know why, but it just tickled my funny bone in a massive way.

By the way, I think I've found my "new" favorite guitarist - Hannah Wicklund. I swear, that kid has it in spades.

I told this here before, but two old high school friends (who I rarely hear from) both called or texted me condolences when Eddie died.
Similar thing happened to me when Bach died.

Via letters I got a couple of months later.

Hey, they didn't have the Pony Express in Silesia in 1750. Air Mail was a guy with a cranky pigeon. The pigeon only flew when the pigeon felt like flying. Which wasn't often.

They tried a parrot, but people got tired of hearing news delivered like, "Rawk, Your mom died, Rawk!"

The town crier was depressed, which was why he was...yeah, the town crier.

Also, mail delivery was slow because they only had one dude who could read the names and addresses, and he was out sick with the pox for three weeks. Not that the mail is much faster now, but supposedly there's a literacy test to work for the USPS. Ya wouldn't know it by the mail I get addressed to other people.

But enough complaining, it's time to go practice harpsichord.

Last edited:
Similar thing happened to me when Bach died.

Via letters I got a couple of months later.

Hey, they didn't have the Pony Express in Silesia in 1750. Also, mail delivery was slow because they only had one dude who could read the names and addresses, and he was out sick with the pox for three weeks. Not that the mail is much faster now...
Where you out Chopin wood when the letters arrived? ;)

Back