Random. No more or less

Eruption = 1000M
I miss Eddie terribly. I have tried listening to his son Wolfgang but totally two different styles of playing. Nothing against Wolfgang but I prefer his fathers playing style. There will never be another Eddie in yours and mine lifetime. I am extremely fortunate to grown up in the 80’s. No other decade can compare.

Don’t ya love it when you get a chance to sleep in and you can’t. The neighborhood has exploded with noise and it’s only 9 am. Two new house being built on the next street over. The neighborhood behind is playing dueling chainsaws. The wood chipper annoying as heck. The guy across the road is get his driveway done.

I miss Eddie terribly. I have tried listening to his son Wolfgang but totally two different styles of playing. Nothing against Wolfgang but I prefer his fathers playing style. There will never be another Eddie in yours and mine lifetime. I am extremely fortunate to grown up in the 80’s. No other decade can compare.
I think Wolfie's album is really good, especially considering he played all the instruments and sang all the vocals. But yes, very different style.

And I agree, nobody will ever compare to Eddie. I used to learn every song they had as soon as a new album came out. Top 3 band ever for me.

I think Wolfie's album is really good, especially considering he played all the instruments and sang all the vocals. But yes, very different style.

And I agree, nobody will ever compare to Eddie. I used to learn every song they had as soon as a new album came out. Top 3 band ever for me.
I was thinking about expansion of my horizons once again and want to learn some VH tunes. In your opinion what would be the easiest song of theirs to learn? And….can I pick your brain if I get stuck?

I was thinking about expansion of my horizons once again and want to learn some VH tunes. In your opinion what would be the easiest song of theirs to learn? And….can I pick your brain if I get stuck?
That's a tricky question. Eddie really swings on some songs, and the vibe can be hard to capture. On others, it's a technical skill he uses that may be new to you. Which albums are your favorites? Let me know and I'll try to pick an easier one from that to get started on. And yes, I'll be glad to help any way I can.

That's a tricky question. Eddie really swings on some songs, and the vibe can be hard to capture. On others, it's a technical skill he uses that may be new to you. Which albums are your favorites? Let me know and I'll try to pick an easier one from that to get started on. And yes, I'll be glad to help any way I can.
I love all of VH. I was thinking of starting with Unchained. Is it drop D or Eb tuning? I am using my 95 SG for this mission into Eddie’s world. My SG could stand some real loving! Lol

So this was weird. Last night, my wife and I went out for date night. Hit a couple spots in the mall together, then I headed for Barnes & Noble, but first, a stop at the car to drop off the stuff from the Hallmark store. Walking out, I passed a woman who was wearing a long flowing skirt, which made me think of Hannah Wicklund (who I've mentioned here numerous times - if you haven't checked her out, people, do yourselves a favor).

Dropped the stuff off at the car, walk into Barnes & Noble. Got about 10 feet or so inside, and I can hear the CSNY song "Ohio". But it's a cover by a female artist. Damn, I think that's Hannah's version of the song. Okay - weird enough that I was just thinking about her, but even weirder that it's playing on the sound system at B&N. So I reach into my pocket for my phone so I can Shazam that sh!t, and...it's not the PA, it's my phone. My phone a) that has been in my pocket, untouched through all this; and b) that I don't use to listen to music; and c) did I mention I didn't touch it until I pulled it out to Shazam that sh!t?

200.gif

Don't know why I've never checked out this topic before now, but I'm glad I did. I just could not start from page one so I jumped in at 35 and I'm treated not only to a great freaky story, but a link to a helluva great guitarist I'd never heard of. HOLY CRAP is she good. Not just her spot on ballsy rock 'n roll, but her cool little flourishes she adds to her tightly rhythmic lead runs. Big thanks Alantig for adding that link in your VERY weird story. Weird enough to be the opening scene in Twilight Zone. De-de, de-de, de-de, de-de.

“Oh dear little Flo, I love you so, especially in your nightie.
When the moonlight flits, across your t!ts, Jeesus chr!st almighty”

Another Derek & Clive fan! I bought a cassette of theirs with this little ditty on it in Toronto back in the 80s. Loaned it to a friend, and his car got stolen. Some years later, I made another trek to Toronto and found a CD with it (yes, I've driven 5+ hours to buy CDs, but that wasn't the main purpose of that trip - just don't ask about the second Sarah McLachlan album).

Now I've got to get these lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's bum...

I love all of VH. I was thinking of starting with Unchained. Is it drop D or Eb tuning? I am using my 95 SG for this mission into Eddie’s world. My SG could stand some real loving! Lol

It's drop-D. It's the swing that's the hardest thing to get about Eddie. I've heard guys get the notes - they never get the swing. Eddie's thought process - well, it's kind of like John Lee Hooker at times. The number of measures doesn't really matter as long as he gets his point across. I remember discussing the "Ice Cream Man" solo with my guitar teacher at the time, and he said, "Well, let's listen to it first." And it's maybe three measure before EVH breaks the format, and my teacher just shook his head and said, "Oh, Eddie!" Not that I copped that solo, but I can play my version. I can't play Eddie's.

Wolfie's album is excellent, and it's great that he doesn't try to be Eddie. Dude took a lot of crap from people telling him he should take Eddie's place in Van Halen, to which Wolfie had the ONLY answer - "There is no Van Halen without Eddie." And from people telling him he should play VH songs, that his dad would be proud. And again, Wolfie had the best answer, which was, "My dad was proud that I was playing MY music."

Don't know why I've never checked out this topic before now, but I'm glad I did. I just could not start from page one so I jumped in at 35 and I'm treated not only to a great freaky story, but a link to a helluva great guitarist I'd never heard of. HOLY CRAP is she good. Not just her spot on ballsy rock 'n roll, but her cool little flourishes she adds to her tightly rhythmic lead runs. Big thanks Alantig for adding that link in your VERY weird story. Weird enough to be the opening scene in Twilight Zone. De-de, de-de, de-de, de-de.

Glad to hear it, sir! Another win!

That young lady is just an awesome player, and she seems to have her head on pretty straight. The first time I saw her, she was opening for the Marshall Tucker Band. Took maybe a song before I was hooked, and it just got better all night. Talked to her a little after the show - with her dad, because she was still like 17 at the time. Check out "Ghost" and "Shadow Boxes And Porcelain Faces". "Ghost" has groove for ages, and "Shadow Boxes" I just love to play. I talked to her about the chords and how deceptively simple they were.

When I heard that Eddie had passed, it knocked the wind out of my sails for two days. I mean, I was really out of sorts. Even though I was 25 when VH's first album came out in 78, I felt like part of my youth had been taken away from me when he left this earth. Even though I don't play like him at all he was probably the biggest influence on me to try and get better on guitar. You know....do something and find your own thing.

When I heard that Eddie had passed, it knocked the wind out of my sails for two days. I mean, I was really out of sorts. Even though I was 25 when VH's first album came out in 78, I felt like part of my youth had been taken away from me when he left this earth. Even though I don't play like him at all he was probably the biggest influence on me to try and get better on guitar. You know....do something and find your own thing.
I know exactly how you felt! I heard about it at work and freaked out. My guitar heroes will always be Mr. Edward Van Halen as well Angus Young. When I got home after work I cried my eyes out. It took me many months before I could even listen to VH.

Last edited:
I am learning this as I type. This guy is a great teacher. I like to look at all the different lessons on YT because it gives you a different perspective on how others interpret and teach the song. I pick and choose what I like and try to put it all together. So this is what I am doing with particular song.

When I got home after work I cried my eyes out. It took me many months before I could even listen to VH.
I told this here before, but two old high school friends (who I rarely hear from) both called or texted me condolences when Eddie died. That's how much my friends knew I loved Eddie.

But, I was the opposite... Sirius XM had a VH channel after Eddie passed and I listened to it until they stopped it, playing VH 24 hours a day for weeks. I listened to NOTHING BUT Van Halen for weeks... but I didn't play anything by them for months. I'd sit down ready to do it and just couldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back