Radical Pick-up swap (Custom 22) or new guitar

Have you tried a Paul’s guitar (2019 and after) 408 pickups are excellent in those. Also used in Modern Eagle V. Necks are fantastic.
I have not tried those. Seems like a ton of tones on tap. I think I’ll need to check those out.

I wouldn’t.
Maybe I’ll tinker with the McCarty instead… there is something really nice going on with that guitar in the low-mids/resonance and how it comes through the pickups, so maybe not.

This is going to play out with a third PRS - right?

Maybe I’ll tinker with the McCarty instead… there is something really nice going on with that guitar in the low-mids/resonance and how it comes through the pickups, so maybe not.

This is going to play out with a third PRS - right?
Yes the need will drive it. Swapping the guitar in your hand is easier than swapping pickups.

Demos sound cool, but from what I’m reading some folks seem to think that it just does an ok (but not great) job of each pickup style. I wonder if a more dedicated P90 in hum size would do a better job of that sound? I’d trade versatility for a killer tone.

As an aside - any thoughts on ditching the five way knob? Can’t say I love it…
I changed mine out for McCarty switching. It’s a question of how much you like/use the middle 3 positions of the rotary. I mean if you wanting different, spending time outside of full humbucker mode might be worth the time, especially on the clean/light crunch Hendrix-y stuff.

D7FEA7EB-D230-4564-9A6B-17996F235ADA.jpg
I

I have 57/08’s in my Custom 22

Don’t. Swap. The. Dragon I’s!!!
Yeah - I’ll probably leave it stock.

For folks that have made the switch to 57/08 from either Dragon or McCarty pickups - are you happy you did it? Was it a big tone change?

My latest thinking is that these are relatively subtle differences between these humbuckers and maybe I should reorient toward adding a guitar with a whole different p/up style like Soapbar or SSS Strat.

Or would a 57/08 (say in a Singlecut) add something different enough to the mix?

Back