Quilt or Flame?

Eilif

Is this a quilt or a flame? I'd call it a quilt, but I am not certain.

I have wanted a Custom 24 for quite a while and finally bought one. :)

The photograph was taken by Sweetwater, but they emailed it to me when I bought the guitar. I hope my posting here does not violate some rule.

black-gold.jpg

That looks like a flame maple top to me. I would be 'disappointed' if I received that expecting a 'quilt'

Quilt is generally reserved for the higher priced Core models - usually at least a 10-top but more often Wood Library or Private Stock. To me, this looks like a regular core Custom 24 in Black Gold wrap colour - not a 10-top or above.

EDIT: Quilt or 10tops shouldn't affect the quality or the tone - its a cosmetic choice. Whilst I would be disappointed if I was expecting a quilt top, there is nothing wrong with this as an instrument.

Last edited:
The adjective "flamed" seems weird for a wood pattern come to think of it, I mean, when have you seen flames that look anything like the typical top that we associate with that name?

I guess "stripey" didn't sound as cool. :D

That kinda gives off a rural connotation, which doesn’t sit well for the more metropolitan demographic.

You need to visit New Castle (and incidentally, you are invited ALMOST any time*). Also, I might add, fiddleback is good enough for Stradivarius (but maybe he was a hick like me).

*EDIT: Actually, I don't hold the keys to the City, so scratch the "almost" part.

I believe I read somewhere that PRS now only puts quilt tops on wood library models and up. A very nice flame top on that one though.

You need to visit New Castle (and incidentally, you are invited ALMOST any time*). Also, I might add, fiddleback is good enough for Stradivarius (but maybe he was a hick like me).

*EDIT: Actually, I don't hold the keys to the City, so scratch the "almost" part.

I would love to visit you! I’m only coming if you’re around.

Do we know if Antonio spoke English?

Is this a quilt or a flame? I'd call it a quilt, but I am not certain.

I have wanted a Custom 24 for quite a while and finally bought one. :)

The photograph was taken by Sweetwater, but they emailed it to me when I bought the guitar. I hope my posting here does not violate some rule.

black-gold.jpg

Excellent guitar! Congrats

I have its cousin, Cu 22 in that same finish. Beautiful!

Back