Quickest/easist way to lower action on a PRS?

phillybri

I'm not the sharpest knife in the tech drawer, but I'm hoping to lower the action on my new DGT just a touch.

How can I do this w/o screwing up everything else?

Remove the Saddles....................... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Hehehe! Sorry B, You can lower the saddles with an allen wrench. There is a set screw on each side of each saddle (looking from the front)..................

Remove the Saddles....................... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Hehehe! Sorry B, You can lower the saddles with an allen wrench. There is a set screw on each side of each saddle (looking from the front)..................

That's the smartass I know and love! :)

Will doing that affect anything else or make me need to adjust something else?

If you're unsure of how to do it really well, I'd advise finding a tech who has solid experience with PRS guitars, because everything depends on the individual guitar.

Action can be affected not only by saddle height, but also nut slot height, string type, and how much neck relief there is - often a neck adjustment solves a lot of concerns.

So first you have to know for sure what will work best on the particular instrument, as there are several variables.

I recently got my Artist V back from the PTC. I sent it there because after a couple of years, I wanted a few adjustments. The guitar was very well set up in the first place with low action, etc. But I had a little fret buzz that I wasn't even concerned about. It came back to me with an even lower action, no fret buzz at ALL no matter how I strummed, and the most buttery playability I have EVER experienced in a guitar.

Absolutely worth it in every way. A true rock star setup. The PTC are the most amazing group of guitar techs out there, IMHO.

But my point is, I'd have thought very little was needed in the way of a setup, and in truth, they took a great setup and made it into an incredible, pro setup I had never even imagined was possible.

So yeah, there's a big difference between great techs experienced with PRS, and the average Joe who can set up a guitar kinda-sorta. ;)

I can't wait to send them my Sig Ltd!

Last edited:
I had to do this today on my '97 McCarty (fixed bridge). Noticed there was too much relief so slackened off the strings until there was no tension and tightened the truss rod just under a quarter turn. Pulled the bridge away from the posts so they didn't drag when I turned them down a little on either side (I have a tool that fits neatly in the slots so doesn't chew anything up). Lowered pickups a little too.

Not expecting instant results but playing it back-to-back with my others was emphasising the need for attention.

With a bodacious looker like that Brian, you need it playing exactly as you want. I couldn't agree more with sending it to PTC. Be very specific in your description of how you like it, and don't forget about some other optional "lovin' of awesomeness". ;)

Back