QUick Question About Headstock

Gaben

Hey everyone. I will start off by saying that this is the first guitar I have bought in almost 6 years now, and so I might not know exactly what to look for. Anyway, I was siting this guitar a little better after I bought it, and I noticed that the headstock almost seems to have a tilt to it, and I just wanted to check with you guys and see if you think anything looks wrong here. I will say it plays like a charm, and I'm not noticing anything noticeably wrong, but I will return it when if something is off here.

IMG_2344_01 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

IMG_2345 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

IMG_2344 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

It's hard to say from the angle of the photo. Put the guitar on a table so the body is flat on the table. The headstock will be off the end in order to have the body flat. Then take a photo of the headstock so we can compare it to the level of the neck and body. You can put a towel on the table if you want to protect the body of the guitar.

Last edited:
It's hard to say from the angle of the photo. Put the guitar on a table so the body is flat on the table. The headstock will be off the end in order to have the body flat. Then take a photo of the headstock so we can compare it to the level of the neck and body. You can put a towel on the table if you want to protect the body of the guitar.

Sorry about those bad pictures, here are some that are hopefully a little more useful. Also, I apologize for the grainy IPhone photos. I'm not able to use my camera at the moment.

IMG_2369 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

IMG_2356 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

IMG_2366 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

How does it sound?

It sounds perfect. The only thing I can think of is the E and A strings buzz some between the 7th and 12th(ish) frets, but I'm thinking that probably has a lot to do with the action being really low.

I think I do see a little clockwise twist to the headstock. It doesn't look like it twists the fretboard, but it does the headstock.

I think I do see a little clockwise twist to the headstock. It doesn't look like it twists the fretboard, but it does the headstock.

Yeah, that's what I was noticing. Do you know if this would be something that is likely to lead to problems in the future? I like the guitar quite a bit, but since I'm still in the return period, I'm tempted to exchange it if it is likely to lead to problems down the road.

My very best SE, a Tremonti Custom, has a similar tilt. It plays like a dream and has been the same for 3+ years. It is not an indication of a problem to me.

My very best SE, a Tremonti Custom, has a similar tilt. It plays like a dream and has been the same for 3+ years. It is not an indication of a problem to me.

Thanks for the input. I love the guitar, and I really am tempted to keep it, and I'm happy to hear that someone else has had this happen, and that hasn't gotten worse.

Does your iPhone have the compass on it? There's a level in there. I'd put the guitar on the table again, measure the table to see if it tilts, then measure the body then the headstock. If the body and headstock are the same, I think you'll be fine. FWIW, I think it's an optical illusion.

I got an SE from Japan that was loaded with 7.5s (!). The neck was seriously twisted because the guitar wasn't set up for 7.5s. Perhaps get the guitar set up properly? It might be something that can be fixed (if it's more than an optical illusion). What size strings are on there (caliper)? Do the frets buzz (either the low or high E string)? Are there any weirdnesses to the height of the string from the fretboard? If it plays fine now, it'll continue to play fine. I am actually of the mind that you can have a certain amount of helical twist to the neck, as long as the action along the strings is consistent. L, it might even make it easier to play!

PRS headstocks are asymmetrical. Sighting down them from the end may give the illusion that they are rotated. Add in the thicker strings on the low side and the illusion is reinforced.

Bottom line: if your guitar plays fine, there is nothing to worry about.

IF you had buzzing on the lower things getting worse from D to A to low E, that might indicate a headstock/neck twist.

Is that occurring???

As mentioned, optical illusion caused by the asymmetrical headstock shape. If you look at the photo but cover up the horns (or crop the photo so the horns aren't visible, only everything from the tuners up, the twist seems to diminish/disappear.

Hey everyone. I will start off by saying that this is the first guitar I have bought in almost 6 years now, and so I might not know exactly what to look for. Anyway, I was siting this guitar a little better after I bought it, and I noticed that the headstock almost seems to have a tilt to it, and I just wanted to check with you guys and see if you think anything looks wrong here. I will say it plays like a charm, and I'm not noticing anything noticeably wrong, but I will return it when if something is off here.

IMG_2344_01 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

IMG_2345 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

IMG_2344 by Gabrial Nell, on Flickr

Back