Quick! Nerdy HFS question

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
In a pre 2007 HFS/VB set in a CU24, which pickup’s magnet is flipped, HFS or the VB?

I’m in the middle of a pickup-ectomy and need to not rewire multiple times because my memory is failing me! I think it’s the VB but can’t be certain.

I can beat bodia's 88% by 7% and it's the HFS. Look at which wire goes to ground...
The HFS is only in diagrams with the VB, so this is plausible. Technically, either one could be flipped if you go by the diagrams and that no one arbitrarily chose which pickup to flop phase. Granted, one would think that black wouldn’t normally be hot. But coil split wires are both white and red, depending on the PRS pickup. So looking for logic was something I gave up on a while back. Maybe I should call it consistency instead. The rotary pin out is no help either.

Thanks guys!

Correction...

According to my VOM and the rotary switch (v2) the black lead on the HFS goes to ground while the VB’s white lead is ground. Now, does that mean the 59/09 is not reversed and should phase properly using the same wiring as the VB? Or is PRS flipping that magnet on all bridge pickups?

Last edited:
If you have a compass you can check the magnet orientation, if that helps, search utube

Correction...

According to my VOM and the rotary switch (v2) the black lead on the HFS goes to ground while the VB’s while lead is ground. Now, does that mean the 59/09 is not reversed and should phase properly using the same wiring as the VB? Or is PRS flipping that magnet on all bridge pickups?
I can't say for sure, but I wired my 59/09's the same as the HFS/VB on a 5 way and it worked fine. Hope that helps.

I can't say for sure, but I wired my 59/09's the same as the HFS/VB on a 5 way and it worked fine. Hope that helps.
Thanks a Joseph! It did help.

A response came from a highly reliable source that the magnet isn’t flipped, just the polarity swapped. I could have sworn that I read somewhere (previously thought reliable) that the magnet was flipped on one of the two pickups. It’s good to dispel misinformation.

So, like AP515 suggested, I’ll wire it like the 3-way legacy drawing suggests but add the DGT split resistors. :eek: Yep. Going with a half-step detuned, 11s only setup, too. The CU24 transformation is under way.

Special thx to Sergio for answering panic texts and bird-dogging the answers from highly reliable sources. :cool:

I read on here some where that if you're replacing a pickup and you want the polarity correct to hold the new pickup against the old pickup to see if the the screw coils attract or not????

I've never tried it.

Might as well just post about the project here.

Goal: match bass player with a bass tuned in Eb. Need Wang bar, clarity, girth and sustain with several amp types.

Solution: Custom 24 face lift

Pulled both pickups this time. The 59/09 went back in the bridge, but after a brief brainstorm with Serge, pulled out the Vintage Bass. For the audience participation part of our show, your job is to guess what I dropped in.

While gutting the stock electronics, putting the 3-way back in, also added DGT split resistors on the push-pull.

Then reset the action for 11s detuned a half step.

The results are yet to be realized. Everything seems to work properly and the setup feels good, so the biggest thing to warm up to is the appearance. (Get your pitchforks and torches ready) The neck pickup is zebra. I think it looks better than I expected...

So how’s it sound?

I’ll stay outta the audience participation part ‘cause I think I know what’s in there.

Might as well just post about the project here.

Goal: match bass player with a bass tuned in Eb. Need Wang bar, clarity, girth and sustain with several amp types.

Solution: Custom 24 face lift

Pulled both pickups this time. The 59/09 went back in the bridge, but after a brief brainstorm with Serge, pulled out the Vintage Bass. For the audience participation part of our show, your job is to guess what I dropped in.

While gutting the stock electronics, putting the 3-way back in, also added DGT split resistors on the push-pull.

Then reset the action for 11s detuned a half step.

The results are yet to be realized. Everything seems to work properly and the setup feels good, so the biggest thing to warm up to is the appearance. (Get your pitchforks and torches ready) The neck pickup is zebra. I think it looks better than I expected...

Dragon II

cu24zebra.jpg

cu24zebra2.jpg

no, it’s not a Dragon II, but good guess! (I would try one of those instantly)

I hate to admit it, but yes, it’s an SE pickup. :oops: And it sounds fantastic!

The tone circuit isn’t working properly - as in, no tone control :mad:- but the “split” is glorious.

...I hate to admit it, but yes, it’s an SE pickup. :oops: And it sounds fantastic!

The tone circuit isn’t working properly - as in, no tone control :mad:- but the “split” is glorious.

Which generation of SE? Some of the new ones are as good as USA versions.

I once shorted the capacitor lead on one of my soldering attempts since it is exposed. Just moved it away from a lead and it worked fine.

That is one beautiful Cu24.

Which generation of SE? Some of the new ones are as good as USA versions.

I once shorted the capacitor lead on one of my soldering attempts since it is exposed. Just moved it away from a lead and it worked fine.

That is one beautiful Cu24.
I was in a hurry this morning to button things up and I clearly screwed something up. I’ll find it tomorrow.

The pickup is actually fairly old. While texting Sergio, I jokingly said I could swap my real USA PRS pickup for my SE because I don’t hardly have any other neck pickups available. Tons of bridge, but all the necks are in use. Then I realized that I’d only had one other neck pickup in it in 18 years. Why not? So here I am. In it went.

Thanks for the compliment, AP!

Back