Quick (embarrassing) video

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Well, here I am again making a fool of myself. I know I am no singer. But, a good friend who was teaching me (when times were financially more stable) kept trying to get me to sing or use my voice to assist me in playing the guitar. If nothing else the "doe ray me fa so la ti do" thing. So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have to get over myself, keep my embarrassment under some level of control, and use my voice occasionally. This song, Strange Design, was written by Trey Anastasio (and absolutely butchered by me). I am at work playing my 2007 Paul Reed Smith custom 22, through a Blackstar ID core 20 practice amp. Just clean with a little Reverb to moisten the sound. Yes, I do understand that I am opening myself up to mass amount of criticism. But, screw it! I'm posting it anyway. But anything important, like on stage or in the studio, I think I am going to leave all the singing responsibilities to Angela...lol

Bro, the trick to getting better is to do it. Keep at it, and you’ll get where you want to be. :)
There ARE those who just don't have the voice to sing.....lol.....I fall into THAT category. *sigh*

There ARE those who just don't have the voice to sing.....lol.....I fall into THAT category. *sigh*
The voice is a muscle, and even good singers suffer when they don’t keep it in shape by regular use. I’m a middle of the road singer who can sing harmony, so I get to sing a lot, which has gotten me (at least) to the good side of the middle! Trust me, man, we all improve the more we do it. Onward!

Everyone can train their voice to sing.
Rick is spot on: keeping doing it and it will come along.
You might never want to sing lead, but there are lots of things that will work with your voice. The band gets richer every time a voice contributes. It doesn’t have to be the whole song, or even actual words.

That's probably not true. But I have one bit of advice for you. If you want to learn how to sing, don't do it while playing the guitar. The guitar will distract you from what you're trying to focus on as you learn to sing. I used to be able to sing really well before years of allergies and allergy meds destroyed my voice, but I couldn't sing while playing guitar. I know I could have taught myself to do it, but never stuck with it long enough to learn, because as soon as I'd start playing it messed up my playing and my singing. I strongly suggest that you don't try to do both at once, until you're good at both, then gradually learn to do both at once.

I would say... do not try to sing and play at the same time until you know you sing well. Train your voice first, then try to work the two together.

And, not to be argumentative with other opinions, but I do not believe that anyone can be trained to sing well. My father was a pro and I saw him work with people for years trying to teach them to sing. ALL improved. Some went from bad to really good. But some people just can't do it well. But I think I've heard enough of your playing to know you aren't tonally challenged because you play guitar. Just learn the singing first, then try to add it while playing a little at a time. IMO, the stage, and while playing guitar, is not the time to try to learn to sing. I actually think you could sing well with some lessons or someone to help you who knows singing. Just to get you started on some basics and doing things correctly.

I would say... do not try to sing and play at the same time until you know you sing well.
That is kind of backwards from the point of the singing. . .I wasn't trying to sing to be a good singer. It was suggested by the friend who was giving me lessons that I use my voice (singing or otherwise) to get familiar with notes on the guitar. Apparently him, and all the other Berklee kids HAD to do that for a couple of their classes, whether singing was part of their eventual goal or not. Everything from Solfege stuff to singing while playing. I have been ......... "resistant" to the idea. But, I must admit, it has helped a bit (with the playing....not the singing...lol).

That is kind of backwards from the point of the singing. . .I wasn't trying to sing to be a good singer. It was suggested by the friend who was giving me lessons that I use my voice (singing or otherwise) to get familiar with notes on the guitar. Apparently him, and all the other Berklee kids HAD to do that for a couple of their classes, whether singing was part of their eventual goal or not. Everything from Solfege stuff to singing while playing. I have been ......... "resistant" to the idea. But, I must admit, it has helped a bit (with the playing....not the singing...lol).

I get what you’re saying and am aware of that method. But I thought you meant you wanted to learn also so you could sing some with the band or something. If you think singing (humming is better at first, as he may have suggested) helps you follow or “hear” a melody better while you’re playing then by all means, have at it. That can definitely help some people. My advice was more for if you plan on singing with the band or just while playing yourself for others. That’s obviously different.

I’ve played with several guys who were solid players, and solid singers, and couldn’t do both. Guys who while they didn’t have great voices, could definitely sing the notes. Start trying to sing while playing and their pitch was all over the place. Their brain couldn’t do the two things at once and they seemed to lose their pitch for one when hearing the other. One was the rhythm guitarist for an established band, who had a nice voice, and they would literally have the lead guitar player take over the chording so he could stop playing when he sang.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what you’re saying and am aware of that method. But I thought you meant you wanted to learn also so you could sing some with the band or something. If you think singing (humming is better at first, as he may have suggested) helps you follow or “hear” a melody better while you’re playing then by all means, have at it. That can definitely help some people. My advice was more for if you plan on signing with the band or just while playing yourself for others. That’s obviously different.

I’ve played with several guys who were solid players, and solid singers, and couldn’t do both. Guys who while they dind’t have great voices, could definitely sing the notes. Start trying to sing while playing and their pitch was all over the place. Their brain couldn’t do the two things at once and they seemed to lose their pitch for one when hearing the other. One was the rhythm guitarist for an established band, who had a nice voice, and they would literally have the lead guitar player take over the chording so he could stop playing when he sang.

Anyway, good luck with it.
I don't think I ever had any real ambitions of being a singer. I know what I have (and what I don't). But, my Berklee friend seems to think it will help. He specifically said that "it doesn't have to sound pleasant, it just has to allow you to sing what you hear in your head.....if you can sing it, you can play it. It will also allow you to harmonize between your voice and your chording". Again. I was RESISTANT to say the least. But I am trying it anyway :(o_O

He paid a buttload of loot on that Berklee education. I am getting it on the cheap. Who am I to question it. (though I have questioned it many times anyway)....lol

Our other guitarist is in the same boat as you KB, he like you has taken vocal lessons.

Familiarisation, practice and trying to be as relaxed as you can.

Just own it and enjoy it!

Last edited:
Back