Questions! Modern Eagle V vs 509

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
My favorite PRS model is MEV. Curious does anyone own both MEV and 509? Is it wiorth owning both? I know MEV has more switchable tones than 509 but, are 509 tones different enough where it is worth owning both models? Please advise :confused: Thanks

Watching this too as I am interested in the MEv but have a 509. I don't know if I'd keep the 509 or play it much if I did as I think I'll prefer the MEv to play based on scale and neck carve...

i own both. While the tones are a little different the MEV is my go to choice. Both great guitars and glad to have both.

Theres a great youtube video of the versatility of the 509 but i couldn’t find it.

If I had to pick only one it would be the MEV.

My favorite PRS model is MEV. Curious does anyone own both MEV and 509? Is it wiorth owning both? I know MEV has more switchable tones than 509 but, are 509 tones different enough where it is worth owning both models? Please advise :confused: Thanks

I don't have an answer, but this is going to be a cool thread.

Watching this too as I am interested in the MEv but have a 509. I don't know if I'd keep the 509 or play it much if I did as I think I'll prefer the MEv to play based on scale and neck carve...

Thanks for replying. I absolutely love my MEV and remember I liked the 513 but sold it before MEV even came out. I didn't care for the 513 25.25" scale though. I did love the 513 humbucker sound choices, modern/vintage and single coil sounds. I'm saying a lot about 513's when my questions are about 509's. Here's why, I saw a PS 509 recently that my eyes are telling me to buy but it's expensive eye candy and my common sense voice is saying you already have an MEV you love with tons of switchable tones... you don't need a private stock 509 that does less...

With that said I wouldn't have that dilemma if it were a 513........... DAMN I HATE GAS

05_jm-mod-eag-v-4-png.722318

Once I had the opportunity to play a JM ME V, which belongs to a friend.
It's a monster of a guitar, and stunning regarding craftmanship, material, tonal versatility.

If budget is no limiting factor, go ahead to purchase it.
Prerequisite: Don't be an owner of other versatile PRS likewise: Brent Mason, 509, 513, P's Guitar, 408.
Then you'll realize, that the ME V switching is not intuitive like 513 or 509 do offer.
And you have to question yourself, if a third person (and perhaps yourself) will hear actual a difference in all those positions.

05_jm-mod-eag-v-4-png.722318

Once I had the opportunity to play a JM ME V, which belongs to a friend.
It's a monster of a guitar, and stunning regarding craftmanship, material, tonal versatility.

If budget is no limiting factor, go ahead to purchase it.
Prerequisite: Don't be an owner of other versatile PRS likewise: Brent Mason, 509, 513, P's Guitar, 408.
Then you'll realize, that the ME V switching is not intuitive like 513 or 509 do offer.
And you have to question yourself, if a third person (and perhaps yourself) will hear actual a difference in all those positions.

I thought that was called a Super Eagle...

The Current MEv is not that 'complicated' and very similar to a 509. The only real difference is the push/pull tone Pot that enables you to use 'Both' Humbuckers together (position 1 & 5) - which adds '4' more options, and can use 'ALL' pickups too (positions 2, 3 & 4) which adds another '4' options - each depending on the whether you choose to split 1 or both HB's.

The 509 has '9' Pickup combinations, the MEv has '17'. Both have a Master Tone, Volume and mini-toggles to split the HB's and a 5-way blade so the 'only' difference is the Push/Pull pot on the MEv.

Older versions of the MEv have an 'extra' Mini-toggle to switch between 250k/500k pots - so you have the 17 options with either the 250k or 500k to 'double' the potential tones but the Core MEv has dropped that.

The Super Eagle had 3 mini-toggles to split the two HB's and NF as well as a Pre-amp and treble boost mini-toggle - its closest 'Core' Counterpart is probably the Special - which doesn't have the Pre-amp, treble boost or option to split the NF as well as a Shorter 25" scale - like the MEv. The Super Eagle has a 25.375" scale...

I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to play a Super Eagle but as they are 'Rare' and cost more than my entire Guitar collection is worth nowadays, I doubt I'll have that experience...

Damn, sure, you're absolutely right, @Mozzi. It was a Super Eagle II. My writings will remain that false, to leave your correction untouched.

But something of my opinion could be taken generally. The switching of a SE II is of course more sophisticated than of a ME V, though even the three micro switches and one blade switch of a ME V require a decent knowledge of where you are and where you gonna go next.

Last edited:
Damn, sure, you're absolutely right, @Mozzi. It was a Super Eagle II. My writings will remain that false, to leave your correction untouched.

But something of my opinion could be taken generally. The switching of a SE II is more sophisticated than of a ME V. Even the three micro switches and one blade switch of a ME V require a decent knowledge of where you are and where you gonna go next.

I didn't mean any offence, I totally agree that it is a bit more complex than a MEv. All those mini toggles is quite a challenge.

The Core MEv layout though isn't all that different from numerous other PRS guitars. Paul's & Cu24-08 both have mini-toggles to split the HB, but not having a 'middle' Pick-up, only have a 3-way but you still have Master Tone/Volume, Pick-up Selector and 2 mini-toggles - both also in the SE Line too. Point is, chances are, more and more people will be familiar with mini-toggles to Split. Its only 'simpler' in the fact you only have '3' instead of 5 positions and no Push/Pull tone pot.

The 509 and Special basically have the same controls as a Core MEv - 5-way Blade, Master Tone/Volume and 2 mini-toggles, with the 'only' differences being the way they are wired. The Special gives 12 Pickup selection Options because Position 3 gives both HB's instead of just the 'Middle' Pup like the 509. Because you can use the 'mini-toggles' to have HH, HS, SH or SS - that gives slightly more options on the Special than the 509. The MEv is wired more like the 509, but with the Push/Pull tone activating 'Both' HB's, you have 4 more options as you have the option to use ALL pups together HSH, HSS, SSH, SSS as well as without the Middle Pickup. Just a 'Push/Pull' difference here.

I don't tend to use the Mini-toggles a lot - usually its more a set and forget thing for the duration of a Song at least. If I want/need a HSS or SSS for a song, I'd set the 'mini-toggles' before the Song starts and just use the 5-way - after all, 5-ways have been very common on guitars for years so I'd think most 'experienced' guitarists would be familiar with that. I also find the mini-toggles to be the 'best' option to switch between full/split options as they not only provide a quick and easy way to change (sweaty hands pulling up Knobs isn't the easiest) and provide more 'visual' and tactile feedback than Push/Push or Push/Pull options - a quick glance or touch can tell if the switch is up or down.

With PRS making much more affordable guitars with two mini-toggles, there are likely to be more and more people 'familiar' with this type of control scheme. The MEv, compared to a SE Pauls or SE Cu24-08 for example is just a 5-way blade (common with PRS and of course many 3-pick-up guitars like Strats) and a Push/Pull tone Pot to add 'both' HB's.

Compared to the 509, which is what the thread is about, the difference is literally a 'Push/Pull' Tone Pot. Its 5-way blade is essentially wired the same - Bridge-B/M-Middle-M/N-Neck. The 'mini-toggles' do the same too as in split the HB's individually and both have a master Tone/Volume. The 'older' MEv's did have an extra mini-toggle for the different values 250k/500k but the Core MEv and 509 are very similar in that respect - although the 509 does have a different scale length and neck profile.

Again, I didn't mean to offend or upset you, I do agree that the Super Eagle is on a different Level again with Pre-amps, Treble Boosts and able to split all 3 Pups. I am sure it would take me a bit of time to feel comfortable with the Super Eagles Layout and to be totally honest, the actual Layout (as in where the Blade/switch, Mini-Toggles and Tone/Volume knobs are positioned) takes me the longest to get used to after switching Guitars. I played a Les Paul for MANY years so that feels most comfortable and getting used to switches/Blades below the strings throws me more than neck shape or scale length so I do appreciate that its not easy and going from guitars without mini-toggles to a Super Eagle no doubt is very daunting seeing all those switches and knobs.

@Mozzi, I never felt it as an offence. I was my fault only. And you made me aware of my low qualitiy research prior arguing ;-)

I had to learn to cherrish easy switching.
In 2013 I had a luthier built me a guitar. I took role model regarding the switching by a LP style semi hollow he made for British contemporary blues guitarist Aysnley Lister. It has got a toogle to select between bass, bass + treble, treble. And it has got for each pickup a 6-step rotary resonance frequency selector switch instead of a ordinary tone control poti.
I wanted separated coil split for bass and treble and a piezo brigde.
In total the guitar could deal with stochastik 217 sounds. But are they different enough? Is that stage practical? Rhetoric questionaires indeed.
Though it was MY custom made guitar (which should be #1), it could push my 513 from its #1.
In 2020 I ordered a second custom made guitar. Easy layout: Three way ordinary toggle switch, master volume control, master tone control (additionally an infinit bass cut control (it means no steps) and to split the pickups one micro switch each pickups, actually I don't use them).
In 2022 I got a third guitar by the luthier (his design, the only personal item is my signature on the TRC), 3-way-toogle and one volume control for each of the two humbuckers.

The second custom made guitar made it at least - as desired - to #1, but for a production line guitar I recommend the 513 for tonal versatility and intuitive quick switching.

Last edited:
Back