Questions about the private stock program

I get it from Brian's perspective and that streamlining has some definite benefits... But in my mind, a custom shop should be just that, a custom shop... especially when all you're requesting different from run of the mill core guitars is the controls configuration. That's not redesigning anything, it's not like you're asking them to come up with something they've never done before. Are they going to put an end to custom color matching requests next? I build my own guitars from scratch (for my own enjoyment, I don't sell them to anyone), so every time I build one, it's a slight redesign of something, but that's miniscule scale compared to PRS. In fact, I probably couldn't build the exact same guitar more than once anyway, as I'm not set up with CNC.

But business is business, PRS has to make whatever design it is make financial sense as well as protect their image.

I get it from Brian's perspective and that streamlining has some definite benefits... But in my mind, a custom shop should be just that, a custom shop... especially when all you're requesting different from run of the mill core guitars is the controls configuration. That's not redesigning anything, it's not like you're asking them to come up with something they've never done before. Are they going to put an end to custom color matching requests next? I build my own guitars from scratch (for my own enjoyment, I don't sell them to anyone), so every time I build one, it's a slight redesign of something, but that's miniscule scale compared to PRS. In fact, I probably couldn't build the exact same guitar more than once anyway, as I'm not set up with CNC.

But business is business, PRS has to make whatever design it is make financial sense as well as protect their image.
I do think it is good business for them to do something to reduce the delivery time. Restrictions on customizations is an easy place to start.

I am glad I got mine when you could build a hybrid of models (like a 22 fret Santana with signature electronics) and I never had to wait 6 months for the finished product. And my requests were always approved the same day.

Honestly, I’m glad they have so much demand and lots of people are getting their hands on the best a guitar can be.

This makes no sense - they met me and still sold me a guitar, so how concerned can they be about how it sounds?

Of course, mine had some post-factory seasoning added...

brian.jpg
I love the layout on this guitar, man. Taps on tones?

I love the layout on this guitar, man. Taps on tones?

Nope - it's even better. Coil taps on the volumes, sweet switches on the tones. Tremonti layout on the controls. What I didn't expect was that the tone knobs would still change the tone w/the sweet switches engaged - it's like a sweepable effect.

Imagine my surprise at Experience 2016 (about six weeks after I got the guitar) when I saw the first DC McCarty 594s. I believe those were the first production DCs w/the four-knob setup.

Nope - it's even better. Coil taps on the volumes, sweet switches on the tones. Tremonti layout on the controls. What I didn't expect was that the tone knobs would still change the tone w/the sweet switches engaged - it's like a sweepable effect.

Imagine my surprise at Experience 2016 (about six weeks after I got the guitar) when I saw the first DC McCarty 594s. I believe those were the first production DCs w/the four-knob setup.
Do you find yourself using the sweet switches much? I have one on the tone control of my 30th CU24 PS, and I haven't found it useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Admittedly, I haven't tried it much.

Last edited:

True that, and with the 4-knob "vintage orientation" unlike previous PRS SC 4-knob models. I liked the Tremonti layout just fine until the 594 came out, and now I find it hard to switch between them. But your layout is perfect to integrate the lower bout 3-way switch. That's just awesome, dude. Taps AND sweets? Sounds like tonal heaven.

Do you find yourself using the sweet switches much? I have one on the tone control of my 30th CU24 PS, and I haven't found it useful. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Admittedly, I haven't tried it much.

Honestly, no. But it's not that I don't find some value there, it's more that I tend to play distorted tones more often, and the sweet switch difference doesn't show up as well there. On the old CU24 I picked up, I tend to hit it more often because it's the only tone adjustment, but on the PS, I tend to fiddle w/the tone knobs and blends first. It's the whole "look what's right in front of me" thing - I don't always think about the push-pulls.

My wife thinks some of this is because I was dropped on my head as an infant, but I disagree - "dropped" implies "accidental".

Back