Questions About My Silver Sky's Neck....

PeteM

I've had my SS for a couple of weeks now and have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with. I didn't get it directly from PRS but via dealer who advertised it as a store model. First, I've struggled to get it feeling just right and have noticed that the saddles are pretty high compared to a couple of other strats I have, with the same relief and string height. Why would that be? A neck angle issue.

IrDhVzW

Last edited:
I'm also wondering why the neck joint has a hole in the middle and what the arrow means. Thanks. (Don't know how to shrink the photos!)

ihlU3m8TcylS4yRKghrXVX3TEgGWA4yPcDcUv0OcOEmO5cdVz06p5QN2zY6WPqwgJIfjOVhtW2S4mbt98omMySaDr5KYwtkJCGQMcdh0EYhtfzeadMvtoPiXghU1u7iwKwOUGyAeSNObjwdxCtGXfVm8atoOazBDa7vGYfdLMdsQxHBXXg3T-O1Oc2uLOdDLEc1_BCFYJR9ei6Im_XtWr7WNGRwmryGGjhTwYxjH1zpLUMpAimPO37zVHDsV_EW1ArdJiTmJGwMZTfNpnCR0TFO1UhTmVtJOHZe9sMuWc_axetvY9kWOvhPoY-jgKml6MQ3pJSpn3J-Gcv7IGQXOjLgXDJCZWdZ5f-ny5Lf30m2TLHOX12BVa2kJcMopA35hkj-vywUT7-HNnUJnR1qAT52yOdlF8-woAKnvVTwPV1Kk_c09NCT66bHXdVN2W06-g2BeEtQZYbq5WRp2SRq8bwlMYZZENEQWdZlk6P8BfcJ_A6b2kU5_QWVidAOPARJhXutbIAaho-_lPR7P0Tyzp_e6RwS526sMEP7QOeNDy9G0WwvWE_NTO1Yp8cKomjq1edFVkSa0aHQWkIUUu8wEx9KZ8aj_hcdbZJO3OQVXNnJSbQ2cKF_fva3Itdr2AHVLUsX0gQy3rvqOPFmZXYRNnLphHMRr1eh9T8ZDcfSMFAeS454CMqtZwjpKF5bqjera9moPyg_e3Z1Quer3UiRQ6CCl=w1002-h1334-no
cW0qWW-kzwDi0BqlEDLIvBT-ikQnWrWaW2x3lUI0-phpTaYx5cntXHGMCn2aUt-XSLKH7uf2Nc13PM3H5OZnBY3OVYpvA9Bm-zi64iqs8WXhj1_F7clc1pdpUQhJVLXYrYJmPVJMce1Y5xZ3tB-MnN_UgBHsQsjar3qM34mgW4QGbxXWoygYEx6jZwpsWkaxou5CAVcYC1uLtxSwf6kK_nnLbWmW9uStrxh6yRdgBwvMneG9F7sXoVMcH4hVnKgRFJx5luICpdGcKOebdnBAxqf3H_ThLIoLlljUtqW9_0BY80D0ad8eTg0dWyFHlqL-UWWrsQ9fWAQsXtAOFZZRr1XMDPIrN3CcxvvWMdBOjdfVOBsNy4HxW63f60L5oyfaTOsle8ejbAfZs-Ew1sie_ubGHjx3-E7vrp1fFKRo9BZ5KGsvfCMYesATLcRA0OXk9tNdac30alBZ2ANFCpcW9tv5j3eaOLGZ-Le_X-ZqBQ6yhdOP83HLYN38F_YdKEeXoq--YTFzEubCkiX_6rtLlIuc03NdeO7b2sQkPtwy5vaCv1yIabdqVJ25DLUftIWzjE6MIXItqcE8DmMjEAorlulEvQxcRFJxI2d3S916VDUuBYpgCrjcgdCC0A9iCuGEnhlbvdytX1QzipUFA4urQuuS7ZryhOC5v5cHunfx-Zb8JtRXmEFRm3HEjQDj4iPQK180MdovhpY9ff4QmdzRepEW=w1002-h1334-no

The holes and markings are part of the guitar making process. If you could separate all the glued-together components, you’d find even more! It’s one of the reasons that they are so consistent, guitar to guitar.

Setup of things like the bridge and neck angle all work together to create the feel. While “right” varies from player to player, there is such a thing as too high, too far, etc. You can contact the PRS service department (link below) to discuss what it should start at, then adjust from there. First stop, though, if you bought it from an authorized dealer, is to take it back and have them check it.

Frankly, I’ve never seen a purpose in removing the neck from any of my bolt on guitars. It pretty much assures you’ll need to start from scratch on setup. In your case, you weren’t happy with it anyway, so no big deal but it might be something the dealer won’t want to do for free after being disassembled.

Extra hole is one of the typical ways bodies are secured to a stick for finishing.
As for the arrow, nobody will know except PRS.

How 'high' are the saddles and the bridge ? Your pictures from the initial post aren't showing up.

If it's a recent purchase and you're not happy with how it feels, send it back/return it.
I've had 3-4 of them over the years and, while I wasn't always fond of the factory setup on some of them (too high of an action), they were all easy to adjust to taste (typically a 4/64"-5/64" action). Letting the tremolo base parallel to the body by loosening the tremolo claw helped with the feel (as opposed to the decked/blocked setup from the factory).

Thanks for these responses. I took the neck off to see if a shim had been added and thought neck angle might be an issue. I've read that PRS has sent out new SSs with shims. I'll look into adjusting the tremolo. I couldn't get the pics to take. They were of the heel so not needed now given the explanations given. The dealer is across the country and the purchase was a couple of weeks ago so returning may not be practical at this point. I have never bought such an expensive guitar online and probably won't again!

The holes and markings are part of the guitar making process. If you could separate all the glued-together components, you’d find even more! It’s one of the reasons that they are so consistent, guitar to guitar.

Setup of things like the bridge and neck angle all work together to create the feel. While “right” varies from player to player, there is such a thing as too high, too far, etc. You can contact the PRS service department (link below) to discuss what it should start at, then adjust from there. First stop, though, if you bought it from an authorized dealer, is to take it back and have them check it.

Frankly, I’ve never seen a purpose in removing the neck from any of my bolt on guitars. It pretty much assures you’ll need to start from scratch on setup. In your case, you weren’t happy with it anyway, so no big deal but it might be something the dealer won’t want to do for free after being disassembled.
Interesting to note that after putting the neck back on, a touch less fret buzz where I had a problem, on the low E and A, lower frets. Perhaps the screws were on a bit tight.....

Back