Question re: "Hemp Green" (and Super Eagle II NGD)

SE2Slinger

Hi, first post here.

Was wondering if perhaps Paul or John could chime in and divulge which strain served as inspiration for their "Hemp Green" colour? I just got my Super Eagle II a couple days ago and have been enjoying it immensely, but can't stop wondering about this pressing matter. Below you'll find a photo of my new SE2 adorned by some "velvet bud" strain (acquired purely for scientific comparison) as well as another couple images of the guitar alone.

It all happened so fast... I was at my local shop for some strings when I spotted the SE2 they'd just gotten in and I walked out a lot of dollars lighter, completely unexpectedly. I'd had one on order with Wildwood, but backed out when I learned there'd be no Brazilian board. Guess I felt at that price it's expected, but I admit it's foolish to afford such great weight to such a little thing. After playing it for a short while at the shop I couldn't care less about something as trivial as fingerboard wood- not that African Blackwood is in any way subpar (I'm aware it's a CITES wood). "Brazilian" has really just become a buzz word for marketing and I can firmly state it offers *no* sonic advantage in my experience (which has been quite vast)- sorry, wouldn't want to live with the golden ears some folks live with as I'd waste all my time chasing nuance instead of playing/writing.

The guitar is a complete departure from anything I've owned, from both a sonic and tactile standpoint. Most guitars I've owned have been either vintage ('54 LP, '55 Strat, '59 345, etc.) or vintage-inspired boutique (Gustavsson, Yaron, Bartlett, etc.). PRS was never really on my radar as there was a sort of unjust stigma surrounding the brand among the vintage crowd which I foolishly bought into. It took some getting used to the Eagle, but now I'm pretty darn comfortable with it and have no qualms operating all the switches.

What's blown me away most is the vast array of incredibly usable tones available at the flick of a switch (or six). Operating in split coil mode doesn't yield the anemic sounds I'd always been accustomed to with split coils, but rather ones that rival (or I'd say even best) the greatest single coils I've played. A good portion of my music is sort of groove-based mellow stuff like some of Mayer's and the ability to coax all these sounds while playing over my own loops is terrific.

On the neck: my main guitar for years has been a Nocaster with a fat "U" profile and anything less doesn't usually agree with me, but the medium-chunky profile of the SE2 is actually really well paired with the kind of guitar it is and works just perfectly.

The attention to detail is absolutely bogus and is leaps and bounds beyond any boutique guitar I've owned before. Areas most builders neglect PRS goes above and beyond on. Really love the top on mine as well- not at all a fan of the sharp/perfect fiddle tops.

Overall a huge home run, imo. I can't put the thing down and it has already inspired some wicked tunes, which is what it's all about, right? One thing I've noticed is that the Eagle begs the player to practice more finesse and not bash away at it like you might on other guitars. I like that though, as it forces you to approach it differently, which often yields new material.

Anyways, if John or Paul could comment re: colour inspiration, that'd be great!

6SVuaRH.jpg

XpGRZfJ.jpg

UQtwt7o.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I hear in Mayer's playing on the Super Eagles, the finesse on picking, phrasing and lighter tones. That is one beautiful instrument.

Great post. I'm also a Tele guy and I think that helps a bit when playing this guitar because you simply can't hide anything on it. It WILL call you out on your mistakes... haha! Really nice images btw - did you take those?

Beautiful guitar! And the photographs are really nice, too!

You mention an interesting point about fretboard woods. I don't think there's an inherent advantage or disadvantage to any of them -- but I do find they each have sonic signatures that affect the tone of the guitar, especially when it comes to the attack of the note. Of course, we're all different, and perceptions vary.

Love that color, love the guitar design, and I would take African Blackwood or Gaboon ebony over Brazilian any day, and I have both on PRS. I think it looks & feels better and imparts an immediacy to the note.

Really nice images btw - did you take those?

Thanks, yes I did! I'm actually a full-time photographer. If you like nice photos of nice gear and happen to be on Instagram you can check my page out @electricavenueguitar. There'll be a website up soon as well where I'll have artist interviews, builder profiles (hoping to get PRS onboard), gear reviews, etc.
You can visit the page even if you're not on Instagram at www.instagram.com/electricavenueguitar

Here's one more shot of my new SE2:

ay7DPj9.jpg

It's such a chameleon, isn't it? Hard to capture the true colour, which is constantly shifting around depending on the angle and light.

I'm curious about the JM NF3. What does it sound like?

Hard to describe tone with words, but I'd say focused, bright, snappy. A bit like a Firebird Mini Humbucker but with better sustain. Not really "round" like a full sized HB but not as chimey as a Single Coil. Reminds me a lot of the pickups in my Paul's Guitar which seems to make sense.

Some of this could come down to the guitar as well. Overall I find the entire guitar bright and focused and... transparent... if that makes sense? Obviously there is a lot of tonal variation available but at it's base it is a very clear guitar that doesn't attempt to be "vintage" or "modern" IMO. It kind of is what it is and it transmits a lot of what you put into it rather than pushing it's own agenda... haha.

Hard to describe tone with words, but I'd say focused, bright, snappy. A bit like a Firebird Mini Humbucker but with better sustain. Not really "round" like a full sized HB but not as chimey as a Single Coil. Reminds me a lot of the pickups in my Paul's Guitar which seems to make sense.

Some of this could come down to the guitar as well. Overall I find the entire guitar bright and focused and... transparent... if that makes sense? Obviously there is a lot of tonal variation available but at it's base it is a very clear guitar that doesn't attempt to be "vintage" or "modern" IMO. It kind of is what it is and it transmits a lot of what you put into it rather than pushing it's own agenda... haha.

It does make sense. Chalk that up to your semi-hollow construction. And everything else. Enjoy that beast!

Back