Question: PRS SE Angelus or $999 Taylor?

Note, again, that unlike the maryland-made PRS acoustics, the SE Angelus has a 3-piece neck, including a scarfed headstock and a spliced heel, just like the Taylor.

I was not aware of that, though as I said, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Incidentally, the Maryland acoustics also have a spliced heel (but not a scarfed headstock). I don't mind a scarfed headstock, though for purely aesthetic "inside my head" reasons, I like the idea of a single piece of wood running the length of neck and headstock.

I think sometimes we look to these differences and worry about the construction ideas, but the bottom line is the sound. For me, there was no comparison.

Im only buying a new acoustic because a couple people in supervision have complained about my tone:confused:

Dude, that sucks, really? What are you playing now?

My church youth band is where I primarily play my acoustic. I am a rocker, and prefer electric, and would be quite content with my fender except that my youth band does not have an acoustic amp. just goes from the direct box to the sound board. And that doesnt look like it will change anytime soon

Have you considered picking up a Boss AC-3 pedal? You plug in an electric and it simulates an acoustic tone. It can send out to the sound board as well, you don't need an amp. Should sound roughly as good as the under-saddle transducer pickups that come in either of the acoustics you're considering, and way cheaper than buying a new acoustic. As a bonus, you can play the guitar you prefer.

WHen Im ready to buy one I'll be having an SE angelusshipped to my GC since they do that for free. I will play both for an hour or so each before my decision.

I fully endorse this strategy.

Well, all this talk about the SE Angelus has prompted me to go out and test play a few Taylor's and of course an SE Angelus Custom... guess which I brought home yesterday. The Taylor's seem a bit thin to me, at least in that price range, where the SE AC was much fuller sounding. Much more definition at mid/low end where Taylor 200 series sound too trebly to me. I had a Breedlove 12 and Martin 6 that were both pretty beat up and suffering a but. Dumped them a bit ago, so kind of needed something to fill that gap. Happy with purchase, and I avoided playing the $6K PRS Angelus (core) that was safely in it's case.... so wallet is happy too.

SE-AngC.jpg

Great thread and thanks to all for the info on the SE. I've had my Custom about 6 weeks now and have a hard time putting it down. Just love to hear the tone. ENJOY!

Well, all this talk about the SE Angelus has prompted me to go out and test play a few Taylor's and of course an SE Angelus Custom... guess which I brought home yesterday. The Taylor's seem a bit thin to me, at least in that price range, where the SE AC was much fuller sounding. Much more definition at mid/low end where Taylor 200 series sound too trebly to me. I had a Breedlove 12 and Martin 6 that were both pretty beat up and suffering a but. Dumped them a bit ago, so kind of needed something to fill that gap. Happy with purchase, and I avoided playing the $6K PRS Angelus (core) that was safely in it's case.... so wallet is happy too.

SE-AngC.jpg

Beautiful guitar! Enjoy it!

Great thread and thanks to all for the info on the SE. I've had my Custom about 6 weeks now and have a hard time putting it down. Just love to hear the tone. ENJOY!

I think we need pictures...

Well to answer the question, alongside an apology for being so late, I'm currently running a Fender T-Bucket 300CE. I like it a lot and it sounds great unplugged, but even I have to admit the pickup kinda sucks. I have thought about getting an acoustic affects pedal and running a solidbody, but that would not be acceptable in that environment.

On a side note, Im going to GC tomorrow to help a friend choose an amp/ talk to the manager about work/check a ton of stuff out. Ill ask if they have an Angelus in the back

I couldn't find an SE Acoustic to try locally either. I did try a few lower end Taylors and Martins but wasn't all that impressed. I did however really live the Breadlove I tried (can't remember the model but it was under a grand).

Since everyone I asked gave the SE's such high marks I took the plunge. Got the Custom w/Electronics. (BTW: The built in tuner alone is worth the extra cost of the electronics) Couldn't be more happy. Sounds great, looks great, plays great, and just this past week I played it live, direct into a sound board (not even a direct box :eek: ) . Sounded very, very good!

I think Ive decided on the SE with electronics, and not the Custom, because It seems to be of the same quality, save the wood types, and is $100 cheaper.

If anyone knows something I dont about the differences between the SE w/Electronics and the custom, Im all ears.

I think Ive decided on the SE with electronics, and not the Custom, because It seems to be of the same quality, save the wood types, and is $100 cheaper.

If anyone knows something I dont about the differences between the SE w/Electronics and the custom, Im all ears.

Slightly different voicing on the Standard than the Custom. Standard is a bit brighter, pushed a little more to the treble side. Custom is a bit warmer. Neither is bad, but if you can, try both of them - just in case you have a preference one way or the other.

Let's be absolutely clear what models we're talking about here. The SE Angelus comes in two flavors: Standard and Custom. Each of those versions is available with or without electronics, for a total of four distinct models.

I'm assuming you're only looking at the Standard with electronics vs. the Custom with electronics, since you stated that you're playing live with amplification.

The differences between the Standard and the Custom are only the types of wood used. The Standard has a Mahogany back and sides, and a Rosewood fretboard and bridge. The Custom has a Rosewood back and sides, and an Ebony fretboard and bridge. Both have a mahogany neck and a spruce top.

There is an audible difference between the two. Which one you prefer is a matter of taste. The Custom is a little more expensive, yes, because of the tonewoods. That doesn't necessarily make it better -- I personally prefer the Standard -- but I will note that most people prefer the sound of Rosewood back/sides.

You were originally comparing against the Taylor 214ce, yes? That's got a rosewood back and sides, so the Custom is probably a closer comparison than the Standard. But as I mentioned, I personally prefer the Standard; it's got a more pronounced midrange, and responds really well to adjustments in pick attack, whereas the Custom has a wider tonal spectrum, so it's more balanced with sparkling highs and deeper lows.

It's really just a matter of which sound you like. The best video I've seen for comparison is this one:

It's in Thai, but they demo each guitar at the end, so you can get an idea of what the tonal differences are like. I recommend using some good headphones or speakers to listen to it; laptop speakers aren't going to convey the tonal subtleties here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Sage, I think based on the sounds Ive made my decision.

They do sound very similar, with different tonal subtleties, but I like the slightly more noticeable sound of the Standard. The visuals of the wood are also more attractive, and I think I have a home run with this guitar.

Of course I will play one first.

one final(hopefully) question is Do the electronics differ on either model?

one final(hopefully) question is Do the electronics differ on either model?

Not as far as I'm aware. They're both using an under saddle transducer, which is the most common and basic acoustic pickup. Same electronics as far as I know.

Speaking of which, be sure to demo the pickup sound against your current guitar. While I think you'll be pleased with an SE Angelus, I wouldn't expect the pickup to be much different from the one you already have. Your T-Bucket has a Fishman under saddle transducer, and I don't have any personal experience with it.

Well, good people, this is my first post on this forum and the reason I registered here is my interest in SE Angelus guitars.
Tell me, do these guitars have thin neck profile? How would you compare the neck thickness to Taylors or Yamaha A series guitars?
Unfortunately, there is no PRS in local stores here, so your comparison is very important.

from what ive seen, PRS acoustics play like an electric, but the neck is listed on Guitarcenter.com as "Wide", and same on PRSguitars.com. not sure about the thickness.

I have not yet ordered mine as I lost my job and am trying to save my $$

I've only played the Angelus Custom (solid rosewood back and laminate sides, and spruce top) Very nice guitar. If I didn't have a very very nice Martin would have taken it already. Anyone looking for a good acoustic should definitely go for the PRS SE's, I have owned a few Taylors in the past and I'll agree with Les's take on the 'stringy' sound. I find PRS (and Martin for that matter) acoustics sound better.

Angelus Custom SE ...

I've only had my PRS Angelus Custom SE for a few months and have tried several different strings sets on it and so far, my favorites were a set of Martin FX130 Phosphor Bronze over Silk core.

To understand why, you have to realize how even toned this guitar is. The silk core adds some growl to the bass side that I find to be quite amazing and they also make playing it all day long, a real joy!

I've owned many guitars including a 1998 Taylor which I bought used back then for $400. No question it was a nice guitar, at that time.

As others have noted, the Angelus Custom SE has a narrower neck, similar to the electrics. I can confirm that it is nearly identical in dimensions and carve shape to my USA 2000 PRS Custom 22. It makes switching back and forth a no-brainer.

You are on your own with the electronics ... no documentation as far as I can find? But I've been able to get a close representation of my acoustic sound over a good PA system so, it isn't rocket science.

And one aspect I hadn't considered when I bought it was that tuner. It is very accurate! And I've found that I miss having one on all of my other guitars so, I now use a Roadie tuner which connects to my iPhone for the rest of the guitars.

One upgrade to the Angelus that I did which seemed to make a noticeable improvement in the sound for me was to get some ebony bridge pins. Naturally, they didn't fit the bridge (my luck) so, I had to sand them down (by hand) to fit properly. But it was worth it!

The only other upgrade I've done was to buy a pair of PRS solid nickel strap buttons ... the ones that are twins to what you get on the USA electrics ... so my strap will never come off! The ones that the SEs come with are standard (read small) strap buttons.

My only gripes about the SE were that the case came with some torn fabric because the plywood's edge had not been completely eased so where they'd stopped (about three inches of it) at the base, it cut through the fabric like a knife! It got me $50 off but still?

Also, they didn't get the string spacing slots on the nut perfect. Close, but not exact. The B string is just visibly closer to the G than it is to the E. Eventually, I will replace the nut, myself. The bridge is perfect so it is more aesthetic than functional. And they nailed the action, out of the box!

But if it is tone you want, the Angelus Custom SE delivers!

Back