question on replacing nut

hord1080

Hey all - I have a 2008 Singlecut SE and decided to change the nut myself. I bought a PRS Core nut which looks like exact dimensions as the SE nut it's replacing. I watched a bunch of YouTube vids and got the nut off easy - it took a few splinters of wood away from the neck but nothing too crazy, and not much glue left behind, but i hit the area with some 400 grit sandpaper quickly. Should I be filling in the few pieces of wood that got ripped off by the old nut? seemed that it was a few very small splinters.

My main question is, when I put the new nut down to test, it sits flat but does not contact both the fretboard and where the nut sits - if i try to push it towards the fretboard it rocks forward and is not touching all of the neck underneath. Since the strings push mostly down, I am guessing this is OK? I would have liked for forward contact and to sit in the "L" perfectly and contact both the fretboard wood and neck, but it looks like i would need to do more filing than i would feel comfortable to achieve this (and not sure if this matters or not). Thoughts? I tried to get a pic but it was a very minimal amount of space so it didn't image well.

Back