Question on push-in tremolo arm

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Riplead, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Hi! I just got my first core model PRS yesterday and am in heaven. It's a Custom 22. I also own an Angeles SE acoustic, and a Zach Myers SE, which are also awesome. My question is, when I push in the tremolo arm, it feels great and I know I can adjust the tension with the set screw, but it's too close to the body. I don't want to have to bend the arm in a vise or anything. I noticed if I snug up on the tension, I can push it half-way in, and it seems to stay put. But I'm afraid of it falling out and damaging the guitar. I read someone dropped a small dowel in the hole as a workaround, but figured this may be the best place to ask. Thanks in advance. Lol, I'm thinking of what guitars I want to sell to get another PRS! :)

2. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Using a dowel is a good tip.

The stock arm has long been a pet peeve of mine. I don't like how close to the top it sits when pushed all the way in. I tighten the set screw very tight and push the arm in only part way. But then I get rough with it and the arm pushes in and loosens up. I have to tighten it before every gig. Annoying.

I use an old Hipshot arm on mine. It is longer and has a better bend to it. It is still a little closer to the body than I like if I push it all the way in, but somehow it stays in place much better than the PRS arm. I don't have to tighten the set screw as often.

3. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Hey Garrett, thanks for the reply. I might have to go for the Hipshot arm. Any particular model? Sorry I'm relatively new to PRS. I also read someone used a spring from a pen. I have Strat tremolo springs, but i don't want to damage anything. Dowels seem much safer.

4. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

My favorite arm is from the first gen Hipshot bridge, which I bought in 2003. I liked it so much I bought a second arm to use on my PRS a couple years later. The second arm isn't bent quite the same way, but is still better than the PRS arm for me.

Long story short, I don't know what the newer Hipshot arms are like. I can't remember the thickness off-hand, but 3/16" seems right.

5. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Plenty of folks just bend the arm to taste, I believe John Mann also sells arms with a different bend.
    Below is one I got on a used guitar worked perfect on a guitar that had two push push pots on it, kind of a jeff beck bend

[​IMG]IMG_3068 by

6. gush

gush New Member

I bend all mine at the 90 degree area. Don't put it in a vise though. Lay it over something round and solid 1 1/2 inch diameter or so and take a smooth hammer tap on the back side of that bend. Go easy because it will open right up.

I don't lie the stock angle because it's harder to grab and I need to dive bomb that baby!

sergiodeblanc and garrett like this.
  7. Riplead

Riplead New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I'll try a few different arms and see what happens.