Question about the 58/15 LT TCI pickups' volume drop

Sheena_Ringo

Hi,

I just received my new 2020 PRS McCarty guitar and I have a question about the pickups, I noticed there is a volume drop when I split to the single coil, I would say it is easy to notice the volume difference. The humbuckers sounds really good, warm, full and lively, but the single coil doesn't have those character to me. When I watch Brian's demo for the McCarty, I don't notice there is a volume drop when he splits to the single coil, they sound as good as the humbuckers.

Here is the youtube video:

So please let me know, thanks!

Is it on both pickups you notice the volume drop or just one? Do you have a multimeter you could check it with?

Both pickups and also individual.

I talked to my guitar tech and he said this is totally normal, there will be 2-3db difference when split to single coil. But I also have the Paul's Guitar and it doesn't have the volume drop, I thought the new TCI pickups won't have the volume drop tho

I don’t know about the regular McCarty’s but my 594’s have a resistor so that when split they “steal” some of the second coil windings instead of grounding them out, this causes less volume drop.

a normal guitar definitely won’t have this but this is a PRS.

The pickup output should read about 7.7k for each pickup. If you are getting 3.8k or so when split there will be a volume drop. It should probably be 4.2-4.8k for less drop. Are there resistors on the push pull pot? What do your controls look like? Maybe there’s a loose wire or someone didn’t add the resistors to the pots.

But I also have the Paul's Guitar and it doesn't have the volume drop

Of course the Paul's guitar (along with 408s and 24-08s etc) is specifically designed to have a more even volume between the single coil and humbucker sounds. It does this because there is a coil tap on the split coil side. When in single coil mode the pickup engages more windings on the coil for a higher output, this way there is less of a noticeable drop in output when switching between humbuckers and single coils. The TCI is a different technique concerning tuning of the pickups not about equalising volumes.

I don’t know about the regular McCarty’s but my 594’s have a resistor so that when split they “steal” some of the second coil windings instead of grounding them out, this causes less volume drop.

a normal guitar definitely won’t have this but this is a PRS.

The pickup output should read about 7.7k for each pickup. If you are getting 3.8k or so when split there will be a volume drop. It should probably be 4.2-4.8k for less drop. Are there resistors on the push pull pot? What do your controls look like? Maybe there’s a loose wire or someone didn’t add the resistors to the pots.

Thanks for the detailed reply, here is my guitar's controls look like (Not sure if you can see it tho)
edit

I bought this guitar from SweetWater and my sales engineer replied me that "I'd say the volume difference is typical - since you're splitting the pickup a drop on volume is normal and can vary between guitars based on the other electronics in the guitar."

So when you split your McCarty 594 to single coil, can you hear less volume compare to the humbuckers?

Of course the Paul's guitar (along with 408s and 24-08s etc) is specifically designed to have a more even volume between the single coil and humbucker sounds. It does this because there is a coil tap on the split coil side. When in single coil mode the pickup engages more windings on the coil for a higher output, this way there is less of a noticeable drop in output when switching between humbuckers and single coils. The TCI is a different technique concerning tuning of the pickups not about equalising volumes.

So you also agree that my McCarty's volume drop is typical when split to single coil? I think there is around 3db less volume compare to not split. And I still don't quite fully understand what TCI does.

So you also agree that my McCarty's volume drop is typical when split to single coil? I think there is around 3db less volume compare to not split. And I still don't quite fully understand what TCI does.
Yes I would say it would be more noticeable than your Paul's guitar. Like mentioned by someone else here, PRS do a trick where they use a resistor to bring in some of the other coil when in coil split mode in order to reduce the volume difference. I don't know how effective it is compared to the extra windings approach of the Paul's guitar though.
The TCI stands for tuned capacitance/inductance. I'm not exactly sure what it does, but it's a way of making the pickups more consistent and well, fine tuning their response

your wiring looks right. I can see the resistors on the push pull pot. You could check resistance with a meter if you think it’s still a problem.

I don’t hear a huge volume drop on my pickups on the 594’s. What I do hear is a lot less mids which can be perceived as volume when split. The split sound is much thinner and brighter.

The 58/15 LT are low output and very responsive to changes in pickup heights, I’ve found most of mine that are new need dialed in to get the balance right, and dialing in the heights can also help the split volume/sound. Bring the bridge pickup up until it sounds thicker but not muffled then put the neck down till it matches the volume. You can fine tune the highs by raising the pole screws. Use your ears to find the sweet spot where it sounds best.

your wiring looks right. I can see the resistors on the push pull pot. You could check resistance with a meter if you think it’s still a problem.

I don’t hear a huge volume drop on my pickups on the 594’s. What I do hear is a lot less mids which can be perceived as volume when split. The split sound is much thinner and brighter.

The 58/15 LT are low output and very responsive to changes in pickup heights, I’ve found most of mine that are new need dialed in to get the balance right, and dialing in the heights can also help the split volume/sound. Bring the bridge pickup up until it sounds thicker but not muffled then put the neck down till it matches the volume. You can fine tune the highs by raising the pole screws. Use your ears to find the sweet spot where it sounds best.

Thank you! Yes, the split sounds much thinner and brighter, just like the single coil, and also I can hear the volume drops, of course not a lot, I would say 3db. But I think my McCart should be ok, cheers!

Back