Question about S2 vs Core Studio models

ChickenRob

I’ve been looking for this info and my google skills are failing. How are the S2 versions of the pickups in the Studio model? I’m very interested in getting one to try out, but there are none near me, so I have to roll the dice buying online.

Thoughts?

I preordered one when first announced. I love the S2 Standard 22 as well as the Vela pickups. No brainer for me, right?

Wrong. The DS101 and DS102 pickups sound great in the Vela, but just didn't do it for me with the Standard 22 platform.

Concurrently, I had a 25th Anniversary SAS with 3 Narrowfield pickups. WAY cooler as a studio instrument. That versatility was there despite three narrow pickups.

I would assume (but you know what they say) that the Core Studio would be more akin to the SAS, but with the humbucker in the back...

Not the best info, but I hope it helps.

I have an S2 studio that was built in ‘21, kind of a unicorn, along with it’s 3 or 4 siblings. It’s all black with a black pick guard rather than the tortoise. I’m a pretty new player, so my description of the tones is pretty rudimentary. Here goes:
The bridge pickup is pretty bright, but responds well to the tone control. It splits well to my ears, as compared to a ‘21 SE Custom 22 humbucker that I owned previously. That one just did not split well to my ears.
The “D style” pickups are definitely single coil. They do not sound like a strat. They seem fuller, less bright and a bit hotter. I don’t think they sound like a P90 to me either. I’m not really sure what the Gretch version sounds like. The D styles balance nicely with the bridge humbucker. There’s lots of tones available for sure.

Again, beginner ears and playing, so add a few grains of salt. The S2 itself plays very nicely, better than my SE, and right in line with my Santana III. (Yes, I have a couple of guitars that exceed my skill. Because I’m old and I can.)

I have no experience with the core version. It’s pretty different from the S2 based on specs, components, wood, etc. It gets high praise. I *think* @László might have one?

Well, I’d love to hear more players weigh in but I pulled the trigger on one yesterday.

Like @aamefford, my guitar collection exceeds my ability because I’m old and I can. I’m a decent bassist, but a total hack guitarist and now in my 50s I want to learn to play better. I bought an S2 35th anniversary edition almost 2 years ago, and in the past month bough 2 more S2s and 2 Cores. I’m hooked. Gotta stop the buying though.

I got an S2 Studio that I can’t post pics of.

My only pic options seem to be to link something hosted elsewhere. Is there a way to UL pics here?

thanks. When it gets here I’ll have 5 blue PRSs. And I’ll be getting 4 custom pickguards for the ones that have pick guards.

Back