Question About New SE Standard 24 (Frets)

Scottinpa44

Hi, I just received a new SE Standard 24 from Musician's Friend today and when I checked it over, I noticed that there are some small black spots on some of the fret wire (like possibly it was worn down), as well as what looks to be rust spots (reddish/orange) on some of them too. The fret wire looks pretty rough too, like it's scratched. I've bought new electric guitars in the past but never had this happen before. The date of inspection on the guitar is 3-28-16. I'm just curious is anyone had this happen with any of their PRS's or can give me advice on what to do. Thanks for any help! -Scott

I'm sure you can send it back. That don't sound good. I haven't seen any of the SE standards Indonesia models. How's it sound and play?

Do you live in a city near the beach? Hanging in a guitar shop near the salty air might do some of that. If not it could be folks playing it since March that have corrosive sweat. You can polish them with 000 steel wool or you can just return it and get another one.

Possibly it's been kicking around the Musician's Friend/Guitar Center warehouses for a while and didn't get looked over before they sent it. I'd contact MF with the issue and likely return for a replacement.

Thanks for the replies, it was listed on Musician's Friend as new so if it's been played since March, that would be bad. LOL I was thinking about using the steel wool but will probably just return it for a replacement. It does sound good but it definitely grinds when doing string bends. Thanks again!

Back