Question about my 305

cshallcross

Not too long ago I picked up a pretty spotless sea foam green 2009 305. It was shipped to a local store for pickup, and I think something in my brain just clicked today. I'm pretty sure the tension was taken off the string when shipping and the bridge was loosened up some. Maybe, maybe not.

The action on the guitar was a bit high, and I noticed the 6 screws at the front fulcrum were loose or undone enough to allow the bridge to have a decent gap between it and the body. I've been playing it like this since I picked it up as I honestly wasn't sure about it. I mean, it was high but super easy to play still.

So, this was pointed out to me today when I hit up a few local shops to see if there was any trade bait I had to have. I brought the 305 with me as I saw a local used McCarty soapbar 10 top that I thought I had to have. Outside of some insane low ball offers being made on the 305, I decided I liked it far too much to let some GAS and trade bait get the best of me.

Got home and loosened the strings. I tightened the 6 screws down some, but I wasn't sure how far I'm supposed to go. They will easily bring the bridge fulcrum down to touch the body, and the action is amazing now. Almost lower than what I'm used to. Would anyone mind telling a set-up noob roughly how I should treat these screws and how much I should tighten them down? I know that's probably a stupid question, but I'm new to the PRS trem/bridge as my others have all been hard tails.

Last edited:
Some Strat guys like to deck them, but that defeats the purpose. They should be 2.5mm from the top of the base of the trem to the bottom of the screw. Watch this video to see how it's done. Also, NEVER loosen or tighten them with string tension. You risk snapping them off.

What's probably more important is that all 6 are the exact same height. I installed 2 mann trems but using the Allen wrench to set height was weird for me. Did it or did it not touch???? I tend to be a bull in a China shop kind of guy so I set them as even as I can so trem is at recommended height. I use my phone to take very close shots of the fulcrum heads then expand the photo so I can visually see the differences in height. Adjust as needed with zero tension on trem. I think I read prs recommends a tiny bit of machine oil on the screws too.

Some Strat guys like to deck them, but that defeats the purpose. They should be 2.5mm from the top of the base of the trem to the bottom of the screw. Watch this video to see how it's done. Also, NEVER loosen or tighten them with string tension. You risk snapping them off.

Thank you for that video! I did all but remove my strings and started with lowering them a little. That was extremely helpful and I appreciate it!

Would the Strat guys just be looking to sort of turn it into a fixed bridge?

Would the Strat guys just be looking to sort of turn it into a fixed bridge?

No, it still depresses, a little. I snagged a beat up 513 (in Seafoam!) that had the trem decked. I ended up,leaving it that way because the action was super low, and it played fast. Each to his own!

I think strat players are just used to that type of trem and have a hard time dealt with a floating trem. I could be way off on that thinking though o_O

I could deck it as it doesn’t get use with my playing, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t messing anything up in the process.

I think it’s the different design, the Strat trem is designed to be on the deck. The Mann/PRS has specially designed/machines screws, I believe, that allow the trem to pivot on. Am I right?

I think it’s the different design, the Strat trem is designed to be on the deck. The Mann/PRS has specially designed/machines screws, I believe, that allow the trem to pivot on. Am I right?

Yes, you are correct. So it floats. I will say, a lot of people don't get it. Three of the used PRS I have bought in the last year have been decked. Which is ok, if that's what you're after.

Yes, you are correct. So it floats. I will say, a lot of people don't get it. Three of the used PRS I have bought in the last year have been decked. Which is ok, if that's what you're after.
Thanks brother.

Surely with a PRS trem that’s decked out the effect of the trem isn’t the same. Also, due to the underside of the trem being counter-sunked to allow the trem to work in the way it does, it is more prone to damage (i.e. metal fatigue/fracture) if it’s decked out and the trem is used heavily.

The whole point of a PRS/Mann trem is the fulcrum on the screw?!

Thanks brother.

The whole point of a PRS/Mann trem is the fulcrum on the screw?!

Yep, you nailed it! I will say, I was tempted to leave a couple where they were. That low action was sa-weet! Two of them went back to normal (and still play great!). The other is still decked, but not for long.

I saw one with white pickups and everybody was posting comments aout what they would change to make it better. The seller finally asked people to stop posting negative comments.
I’ve seen a used one floating around online with some white aftermarket pups, but I love the black.

I caved and added a Boss NS2 yesterday which has really helped with the hum on the Boogie. Going to fix the bridge height tonight and give the neck some oil.

Back