Question about guitar's nut and string gauge.

Krhosef

I thought I'd try a heavier gauge of string than I'm used to, and bought some 11 - 56's. But from the D to the low E string, the strings were a little too wide and wouldn't fit in the nut. I have a Standard 24, so I'm guessing maybe that's why. If I need to replace the nut to be able to use heavier strings, what should I look for?

I thought I'd try a heavier gauge of string than I'm used to, and bought some 11 - 56's. But from the D to the low E string, the strings were a little too wide and wouldn't fit in the nut. I have a Standard 24, so I'm guessing maybe that's why. If I need to replace the nut to be able to use heavier strings, what should I look for?

You could just have a tech widen the string slots on the nut, if you're not familiar with how to do that yourself. You'll have to replace the nut to return to a lower gauge string, of course.

If you don`t have experience doing it, I`ll suggest you have a good tech do it. You can make or break the guitar with a good/bad nut. It will affect the action, the intonation, and the tuning.

Cool, thanks for the responses. I just bought this guitar and am happy just playing it and getting used to it, so for now I'll probably just buy different strings.

Back