Question about Darkening Rosewood Fretboards

No experience with these.

I’ve used Keda wood dyes (eBay) for a kit guitar. Results were very good. A powder that you can mix to your required colour. It’s water or spirit soluble.

I’ve used Crimson’s stunning shots.

First pic is a kit guitar that I stained with Keda dyes (water based).

Second pic is a test piece for a custom build that I will hopefully be staining later in the year.

Angelus leather dyes are also very effective. See Big D Guitars on you tube.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FZMauZ1Pc45Yn7Zu5

Dude, nice job!

I thought I would give this a try on a piece of scrap rosewood.
Please keep in mind, this is not a service offered through the PTC, this was done simply for my general curiosity.

Natural vs Black stain and PRS fretboard conditioner
tie dye.jpg

Wow thanks @Shawn@PRS that is quite telling. Thanks for posting that comparison.

After giving it another few days, I decided to go ahead and order some of the india ink sold on the stewmac website. Don't have much free time on my hands currently, but I'll update when I can. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Just recently picked up a 2008 Hollowbody 1, and needless to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. If I could change anything, though, I think I would like the rosewood on the fretboard to be a bit darker to match the aesthetics of the blue finish.

I've read a lot about people using different stains to darken rosewood fretboards, but I was curious if PRS has a recommended brand that they use to stain rosewood (i.e. something beyond a simple lemon oil treatment). I ask because my 2015 Custom 24 has a significantly darker fretboard, and I'm curious if this is because it has been stained.

Any advice here? Has anyone done this to any of their guitars before. Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of the new hollowbody:

https://tinyurl.com/ydbhozwo
I think it looks great as is! :)

Black guitars sound the best, but this will be a close second.

@Shawn@PRS did you ever go through with dying the Martin fretboard? If so, how'd it turn out?

Considering giving my PRS silver sky a light coat of fretboard dye I got from Stewmack. I used it on a Fender AVRI neck and it come out beautifully. Wipes right off the inlays, hopefully it wipes right off the birds :eek:

k92fnufv5ftyoz08qth8.jpg

@Shawn@PRS did you ever go through with dying the Martin fretboard? If so, how'd it turn out?

Considering giving my PRS silver sky a light coat of fretboard dye I got from Stewmack. I used it on a Fender AVRI neck and it come out beautifully. Wipes right off the inlays, hopefully it wipes right off the birds :eek:

Do have a picture of the neck you did for us to see, please?

Back