Question about Darkening Rosewood Fretboards

Thanks @Alnus Rubra . I think I likely will sit on the notion for a while and see how I feel a few months into owning it. I'll likely decide then what to do. Good to know, though, that leather dyes are fairly ubiquitous for this application. Any other suggestions on staining materials are welcome.

Crimson guitars in UK also have water based and spirit based guitar stain. There are probably suppliers in US with similar products.

It’s a beautiful instrument, as-is. Leave it as PRS and the Great Goddess of Guitar conceived it.

Guitars made with quality materials don’t need to have dyed fretboards.

Then why paint/stain guitars (including tops) at all? It’s ok for tops, necks, and even some maple fret boards, but not rosewood fret boards? :confused:

Last edited:
Then why paint them (including tops) at all?

I brought that very inconsistency in my thinking up in an earlier post, just for fun. But I have my reasons, and here they are:

Rosewood is an oily wood that doesn’t need a finish. Play it for years and years, and it stays nice and smooth. The natural oils tend to resist dirt and detritus.

Maple and mahogany do better with a finish, even if it’s just an oil finish; otherwise they become furry, can even get splinters or develop cracks from stuff like sweat from your forearm and hands, and entropy has its way with them much sooner. They also tend to absorb dirt and grime unless finished.

Put simply, it makes more sense to finish maple and mahogany (and many other hardwoods), and it makes sense not to finish oily tropical woods like rosewood.

And if you look at historical instruments, you’ll see that most going back a very long time have the more perishable woods like maple and spruce finished in some way, and leave the less perishable woods like ebony and rosewood unfinished. Seems to me that people who make instruments do things for hundreds of years for good reason.

So that’s why I make the distinction.

I certainly understand the aesthetics issue; on the other hand, I’ve bought 3 PS guitars with Madagascar rosewood that’s lighter in color than IRW or BRW (it’s got more tan coloration), because the stuff sounds great. I’d never dye it.

Last edited:
:
I brought that very inconsistency in my thinking up in an earlier post, just for fun. But I have my reasons, and here they are:

Rosewood is an oily wood that doesn’t need a finish. Play it for years and years, and it stays nice and smooth. The natural oils tend to resist dirt and detritus.

Maple and mahogany do better with a finish, even if it’s just an oil finish; otherwise they become furry, can even get splinters or develop cracks from stuff like sweat from your forearm and hands, and entropy has its way with them much sooner. They also tend to absorb dirt and grime unless finished.

Put simply, it makes more sense to finish maple and mahogany (and other hardwoods), and it makes sense not to finish oily tropical woods like rosewood.

Finish is one thing; stain is another. We, PRSers, like maple stained for aesthetics. I like the look of “black” fret boards. While some on this forum claim to only care about tone, the vast majority of us care about aesthetics, too. If we didn’t, I see little reason why we post NGDs with photos followed up with admirer’s posts of “oohs” and “ahs” and calls for dibs without ever hearing a sound bite.

:

Finish is one thing; stain is another. We, PRSers, like maple stained for aesthetics. I like the look of “black” fret boards. While some on this forum claim to only care about tone, the vast majority of us care about aesthetics, too. If we didn’t, I see little reason why we post NGDs with photos followed up with admirer’s posts of “oohs” and “ahs” and calls for dibs without ever hearing a sound bite.

Once you’re gonna paint it with a clear coat or a color, it’s no longer natural wood, so why not stain it?

If you like black fretboards, man, it’s your guitar! I say have at it!

I’d try to talk you out of staining rosewood that’s left unfinished on aesthetic grounds (the subtle colorations in a rosewood board are interesting and beautiful), but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. ;)

I’d try to talk you out of staining rosewood that’s left unfinished on aesthetic grounds (the subtle colorations in a rosewood board are interesting and beautiful), but a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. ;)

Really? I’ve never noticed that. I’m going to have to look into this wood thing. :rolleyes::p

Les, it’s about what looks good together; the complete picture. I might have a beautiful plaid shirt and an equally beautiful pair of plaid pants, but I’m not going to wear them together. But, a man’s gotta do what a.......no scratch that. :eek: I personally think a black fret board allows some figured tops to stand out. I too love figured fret boards and necks (which is why I took Ziracote, snakewood, and other exotic fret board woods to PRS for the first builds), but for me, they need to compliment the top, and the guitar as a whole, visually.

I too love figured fret boards and necks (which is why I took Ziracote, snakewood, and other exotic fret board woods to PRS for the first builds), but for me, they need to compliment the top, and the guitar as a whole, visually.

That’s a matter of taste and aesthetics that it’s pointless to argue over. Would I try to talk you out of dyeing a fretboard? Sure. That’s my sense of what’s aesthetically cooler.

Would you do it anyway? Obviously.

There’s no absolute right or wrong in this. How could there be? It isn’t even important in the greater scheme of things. So it’s just opinion.

No one’s sayin’ you have to actually listen to me!

“Erick Coleman shows why black fingerboard stain is a standard item in any guitarmaker's shop, including the big name builders.”

Erick is senior technical advisor at Stewart-MacDonald. He also is published in notable guitar magazines for his repair work alone and with Dan Erlewine.

Thanks @Alnus Rubra . Have you ever heard anything about the black fingerboard stain that Stewmac sells? See the link below:

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_a...Tints_and_Stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

No experience with these.

I’ve used Keda wood dyes (eBay) for a kit guitar. Results were very good. A powder that you can mix to your required colour. It’s water or spirit soluble.

I’ve used Crimson’s stunning shots.

First pic is a kit guitar that I stained with Keda dyes (water based).

Second pic is a test piece for a custom build that I will hopefully be staining later in the year.

Angelus leather dyes are also very effective. See Big D Guitars on you tube.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FZMauZ1Pc45Yn7Zu5

any guitar with a cat sleeping on it has my vote.

No experience with these.

I’ve used Keda wood dyes (eBay) for a kit guitar. Results were very good. A powder that you can mix to your required colour. It’s water or spirit soluble.

I’ve used Crimson’s stunning shots.

First pic is a kit guitar that I stained with Keda dyes (water based).

Second pic is a test piece for a custom build that I will hopefully be staining later in the year.

Angelus leather dyes are also very effective. See Big D Guitars on you tube.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FZMauZ1Pc45Yn7Zu5

Thanks for the responses, guys. It wasn't my intention to commit to such an intense discussion! I think I'm going to give it a few months of oiling and see how dark that gets the fretboard. I'll make a decision after than, likely sticking with a water based dye if I do follow through with it.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It wasn't my intention to commit to such an intense discussion! I think I'm going to give it a few months of oiling and see how dark that gets the fretboard. I'll make a decision after than, likely sticking with a water based dye if I do follow through with it.

Hope you achieve the finish you want Bear.

Back