Question about 2002 Standard 22 with rotary pickup switch

Eli D

I was just gifted a 2002 Standard 22 with the rotary pickup selector for 2 Dragon II pickups. Sounds great. When I looked up the explanation for the 5 pickup options I was surprised to read that none of the options included both pickups as double coils. Is this accurate? I read 10 - bridge humbucker alone, 9 - outside coils of both pickups, 8 - single coils, 7- parallel single coils, 6 - neck pickup alone. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

Yeah that sounds correct for the switching. You could always go down the switching rabbit hole and throw a different one in with more options.

Do you know the reason why there is no option for both pickups to be engaged as humbuckers simultaneously?

Do you know the reason why there is no option for both pickups to be engaged as humbuckers simultaneously?

My assumed answer is “because that’s what Paul wanted”.

I’m sure if you are wiring inclined you could make it so it’s a double humbucker.

I've wondered this myself, too. In fact, there's even a YouTube video that was recently shared around here, which prompted the question for me...
(here it is:
)
...where he compares a CU22 with Dragon II pickups in "middle position" (with rotary switch), which I do not think is equivalent to the "middle positions" of the other guitars in the shootout. Am I wrong here?

I do have my eyes open for a really great CU22 with DII pickups and rotary. But I also know that I really like the middle-position sound from my typical dual-humbucker guitars (i.e., both humbuckers fully on). Wondering if anybody has thoughts on those positions 2-4 of the 5-way rotary.

first off congrats on wonderful gift - I have a 2001 standard 22 with Dragon II's and freakin love it.

The pickups used in conjuction with the 5 way rotary switch are out of phase with each other, to give the 5 various selections.
Using the Dragon II as a reference.
The bridge pickup is north side of magnet facing the screws
The neck pickup is south side of magnet facing the screws

combined with the clever design of the rotary switch you get the following settings
Position 10: Treble pickup
Position 9: Outside coils - deep and clear - parallel
Position 8: Inside coils - Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"- Series
Position 7: Inside coils - Crisp version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups" - Parallel
Position 6: Bass pickup

If the magnets were in phase with each other (like 99% of most humbuckers) you wouldn't get the middle 3 options - this is why if you want to use other makers pickups with the rotary switch one of the pickups (usually the neck) needs to have its magnet reversed 180 degrees making it out of phase with the other pickup.

if you tried to wire for both humbuckers on, they would be out of phase (giving the Peter Green mod) with both pickups selected.

like I said above I personally love the 5 way rotary, I have 3 PRS fitted with it.

2001 Standard 22
50461472941_7f7e57a175_k.jpg

2006 CE24 Mahogany
50461655337_9380af8158_k.jpg

I converted my old Santana SE into a pre-factory shape (Santana 22 / Goldern Eagle / Custom 22) homage using the 5 way rotary and and pair of Dragon II's
51189745563_bca646b58a_k.jpg

I don't miss the 2 humbuckers combined sound (I have other guitars for that) I really love the position 8 sound for rhythm work in a live setting.

Last edited:
Thanks all. This thread clears up the switch questions I have been pondering since receiving my 2008 custom 24 two years ago. Nothing is more playable. However I find myself picking up an Epi 335 type to play, on which the switching is more obvious.
I will stop looking for something that isn’t there on the CU24 and enjoy what it can do.

Back