Q For The Seven-Stringers

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
In the video Q&A w/Emil that Mike posted, Emil said he views the instrument as a standard tuning six-string with an extra low B. Which, so far, is how I've approached it.

But the other day I was reading something (maybe the Carcass article in Guitar World? - really don't remember) that made me think...

Has anyone approached it as a down-tuned six string with a higher 7th string? The thing I read talked about this guy tuning down to B, and for whatever reason, it suddenly popped into my head - I could tune down to B with the high E string becoming an added D above the high B.

Anyone doing anything like that?

Well, I don't know that, but I do know Steve Vai and Ibanez are credited with making the 7 string as we know it but there was a guy in the early 80 that had one but it had like a 22 or 23 in scale and had a high A added to it but he was kind of embarrassed about the "kids" scale and never tried to patent it.

Lenny Breau was the guitarist. I am only talking solid body electric guitars, I know there is a long history of 7 string in jazz.

I've never given any serious thought to a higher string. I often tune to B Standard so I hear what you're saying.

Back