Putting humbucker covers on Custom 24 to reduce ice-pick

James Stoffel

Two questions:

1. Any experience with this? I get just a little too much shrill on the high end, particularly when the humbuckers are split. I figure I’ll give this a shot, unless somebody here has any major objections.

2. The C24 is a stock 2018, so it has 85/15s(?). What size covers to I need? I’m not even quite sure how to measure them.

thanks!

I'd also dial in the pickup height and/or the pole pieces. You measure from center to center of the poles for the E strings. Should be 50mm covers as long as it's not the square bobbins. Is it a core, se, or s2?

I'd also dial in the pickup height and/or the pole pieces. You measure from center to center of the poles for the E strings. Should be 50mm covers as long as it's not the square bobbins. Is it a core, se, or s2?
Core

Change the pickups from 85/15's to 58/15's. Done. Same pickups--one without covers, one with. (PRS's published specs show no differences in magnet or windings. Plus I've played both, and cannot necessarily bond with either.. for the same tonal reasons. I don't think I'm off-base here, even if PRS won't admit they're "the same.")

Change the pickups from 85/15's to 58/15's. Done. Same pickups--one without covers, one with. (PRS's published specs show no differences in magnet or windings. Plus I've played both, and cannot necessarily bond with either.. for the same tonal reasons. I don't think I'm off-base here, even if PRS won't admit they're "the same.")

Yes, they're the same besides covered and uncovered. I didn't know PRS said otherwise?

Well, they haven't said otherwise. But they also haven't directly said... wise(?). Yeah. You know what I mean...

I want to say I saw Paul confirm it in a YT video. I can't even remember which I saw it in. Maybe launch? Something about adding the cover tames the highs. Again, all from memory and not to be taken as the gospel.

Back