Putting covers on Dragon 1 pickups - to pot, or not?

AndyK

I scored a set of Dragon pickups, and would like to cover them with nice nickel covers. Should I dunk them in wax after I cover them, or no?

If I do, what do i do to protect the Dragon Bass and Dragon Trebble labels on the back of the pickups?

I had a Dragon I in a CE-22 maple top and put covers on them. Instead of dipping in wax, I put a bead of silicone across the slugs, clamped the cover on and soldered it in place. The guitar never squealed or feedback. I have wax dipped a few pickups and it seems to kill the sound. It did on a 57/08 bridge pickup I have that squealed.

I have successfully added covers to pickups using this method that doesn't involve a full wax dip. No squealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've put covers on humbuckers before with good results using that Mojo tutorial. They don't squeal at all. However, you should be aware that adding covers will affect the tone...it typically makes them a little more "polite". Personally, I wouldn't do it with Dragons, for fear of losing what makes them so special. BUT...it's your guitar. Do what you want with them. :)

Retroactive thanks! I'll just sell the Dragon Treble pickup then, not worth messing up a killer pickup - like you all said.

Back