Put DGTs in my Custom 22

rabidhamster

I got some DGT pickups for my Custom 22 - Wow! They're perfect - I feel like I got a new guitar. I wouldn't change anything about em. Looks like I'm done searching for dragons...

EMGs. I didnt do it on purpose though, I got it like that. :laugh:

Well then that explains it, excellent choice, DGTs are among the best in the business.

On a side note I was hoping you had 57/08s in there previously, as I'm still wondering how those and the DGTs stack up.

Have fun.

Well then that explains it, excellent choice, DGTs are among the best in the business.

On a side note I was hoping you had 57/08s in there previously, as I'm still wondering how those and the DGTs stack up.

Have fun.
DGTs have a bit more 'bite' and power, at least compared to my earlier 57/08s. Both are nice pup sets but the DGTs have something special.

I liked my Custom 22 with Dragon 2s. It remained unmolested from 2006 to 2009. On a whim, I had some DGT pickups that I had bought used and installed them with an aftermarket 3 way rotary in the CU22. It sounded great. Then I needed money for some other GAS, and I thought, "I can go back to the Dragon 2s, no problem." So, I sold off the DGT pickups before I had even taken them out of the guitar. I put the Dragon 2s back in and I realized in about one strum of a chord what a grievous error I had made. I went through with the deal but immediately started hunting for another set of DGTs.

On ebay of all places several months later I found the holy grail for me, a set of DGT pickups wired to work with the rotary. I paid a heck of a lot for them. They are never coming out of this guitar. This is the benchmark. This is the sound. Every other guitar on planet earth is a tone shootout with this one.

So yes, I agree with you.

DGTs have a bit more 'bite' and power, at least compared to my earlier 57/08s. Both are nice pup sets but the DGTs have something special.

Interesting, Kerry...I found just the opposite. DGTs in a DGT and 5708s in a SC. The DGTs, to me, were very smooth. I could push them hard, but I never felt they had as much bite as the 5708s.

I replaced the DGTs with some Dragon 1s, giving up some versatility of the DGTs to get even more oomph from the D1s.

A side question then please, are the DGT pickups hotter/higher output than the 57/08s?

A side question then please, are the DGT pickups hotter/higher output than the 57/08s?

I don't have the exact numbers, but Kerry did bring up a good point about "earlier" 5708s. When they first came out, the output numbers had some pretty wide variances. He may have had one of the mellower sets...that, or the fact that my ears aren't the best.

I've had at least three of the four (at least I think) different versions of the 57/08's....unmarked, 57/08's, and 57/08TM's....all VERY different....I mean so different it's hard to imagine they are the same model pickup...
So, 57/08s are made with wire produced by the same machines that produced the wire for vintage Gibson PAFs. Just like the original PAFs, 57/08s vary widely. Who'd a thunk it? :wink:

Back