AragonWingfoot

So I’ve heard a lot about blue fading and seen what that looks like. Does anybody have examples of what a purple would look like when it fades. I have a Wood Library Purple mist and would like to “see into the future.” Thanks everybody!

Not exactly the same thing, but here are a couple of threads talking about Northern Lights. I would think these examples would be too dramatic for what you can expect. I have a Custom 22 that is finished in Purple Hazel Burst that I think is beginning to fade a little. It may just be me thinking it though. It hangs on a wall in a room with an east facing window. Blinds are always shut, but it does get a little sunlight in the room. Bottom line, if you want to keep it from fading, keep it in the case when you're not using it.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/northern-lights-fading.34794/
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/private-stock-is-fading.32484/

K1gKNfR.jpg

13tQWFM.jpg

Basically the blue component of the purple fades leaving only the red.

We could call it the purple-raspberry fade stain.

“Where’s the raspberry? I’m not seeing it.”

“Heh....you will be.....you will be”

Er-hem....Yoda

Is it really that difficult to put your guitar in its case when you are done playing it? If you do that, worry about fading becomes moot.

My purple McCarty, not my avatar, is a 2001 and I haven't noticed any fading. It does not spend much time in its case but it also doesn't go outside very often. I can't find any pictures of it to post.

I seem to recall a couple of VERY long threads here claiming that any photons will degrade the blue pigment used by PRS. Sunlight will fade it quickest, incandescent lighting will do it slower, but even LED lighting will degrade the color at a slow rate. I have no evidence, but the argument stuck with me.

I only have one blue translucent guitar and it’s an SE Standard. All my guitars go into hardshell cases as soon as I’m done using them (after a wipe down). It’s what I was taught as a teen and is totally ingrained in me.

I seem to recall a couple of VERY long threads here claiming that any photons will degrade the blue pigment used by PRS. Sunlight will fade it quickest, incandescent lighting will do it slower, but even LED lighting will degrade the color at a slow rate. I have no evidence, but the argument stuck with me.

I only have one blue translucent guitar and it’s an SE Standard. All my guitars go into hardshell cases as soon as I’m done using them (after a wipe down). It’s what I was taught as a teen and is totally ingrained in me.
The finishes on SE guitars are different than core US’ - kinda chemical type and are applied by spraying, not staining like those expensive US guitars that they’re talking about. I’ve never seen a blue finish SE got faded before, so if I were you I won’t be worry about color fading.

Back