Pure Nickels are the bee's knees!

maxtuna26

So I was wondering how to tame my strat's bridge pickup. I've tried a custom wiring to put the tone control on the bridge, and I was pretty curious about how pure nickels would sound like on it. So I grabbed a set of the Fender Pure Nickel 150s, strung my strat up after I'm done with the rewiring, and I'm blown away. For once, the bridge didn't sound like it's trying to kill my ears. I've heard many saying they sound dull or dark, but my personal experience was that they are just marginally warmer than NPS and probably hit the tonal sweet spot for me! I guess its safe to say I'm converted. I'm probably getting another set of pure nickels for my SE the next time around and see if they would work for metal/hard rock, since people stereotype them to be blues/jazz/classic rock strings.

Anyone here fiddled with pure nickels or swear by them all the time?

I use DR pure nickel strings most of the time. The store in my town doesn't carry those so I have to order or go to GC.

I much prefer them, but lately I can't find DAddario pure nickel 9.5s, or the PRS 9.5s. Terribly frustrating TBH I've spent hours looking.

I much prefer them, but lately I can't find DAddario pure nickel 9.5s, or the PRS 9.5s. Terribly frustrating TBH I've spent hours looking.

You could try the Fender Pure Nickels. I hailed from a place where people just tell me Fender strings suck badly, but I tried it and find it to be absolutely pleasing. And they're probably easier to get, so it can be an alternative when you don't get the D'adds or PRS strings?

Fender strings are well liked by a lot of Gibson players. Prs strings are a little different because Paul has specked them out to prs standards. I've used pretty much everything out there and for me ,prs strings work the best. Great tone, not hard on the fingers and I get 3 months out of them. I used to get only a month out of Ernie balls .....

I like the plain jane Ernie Ball regular slinky's. I really like strings with about 3-4 hours of play time and then somewhere around 8-10 they lose the feel I like. I would like to try some other brands but I can't bring myself to pay $10 for a set of strings when I typically change strings once every 10-14 days. I tried the PRS strings on my 408 this week, since the guitar came straight from PRS with them, and liked them, but once I changed the strings to EB's the guitar felt better to me. I have tried D'Addario, VHS, DR's and didn't dig them too much. I did however play the Curt Mangan strings a few years ago when a local store had them on clearance and really liked them.

Back in the day (60s) when I started, guitar players didn't change strings for every gig, because most strings were pure nickel and they lasted a relatively long time.

String makers came out with plated strings later on because people wanted bright, bright and more bright.

There's room for everyone aboard this bus - you can get a more vintage and warm tone with the nickels, and they last a bit longer, or you can buy other strings for different vibes. Choices are what is great about being a guitar player in the modern era!

I recently switched to plated from pure nickel on my singlecut, and it has made quite a difference. My singlecut is a very warm sounding guitar, and the new strings perked it up quite a bit. I loved the tone before too, but now it has a bit more snap on the low strings. Conversely, my custom is a bright guitar, so I've been using pure nickels on it.

I generally can't get more than two shows out of a set of strings, if I try for three shows the risk of string breakage is pretty high. I'm heavy handed so my strings take a beating. Anybody else?

I generally can't get more than two shows out of a set of strings, if I try for three shows the risk of string breakage is pretty high. I'm heavy handed so my strings take a beating. Anybody else?

You really hit 'em hard, don't you? :tongue: Might need to consider going up a gauge to get more mileage out of a set.

Anyway, I did break it once, while I was rehearsing with the band one day before our performance, but those were pretty worn strings and I used to play like a punk. Then for the rest of my guitar-playing life, I've never snapped any. My recent obsession with "shreddy" and soft, expressive music has made me go back in gauges. Now I'm on 9s for about half a year, and still not a single broken string. :D

You really hit 'em hard, don't you? :tongue: Might need to consider going up a gauge to get more mileage out of a set.

Anyway, I did break it once, while I was rehearsing with the band one day before our performance, but those were pretty worn strings and I used to play like a punk. Then for the rest of my guitar-playing life, I've never snapped any. My recent obsession with "shreddy" and soft, expressive music has made me go back in gauges. Now I'm on 9s for about half a year, and still not a single broken string. :D
Going up a gauge will not really improve breakage risk IMO, I use monster heavy strings...I just don't want the hassle of string break during a set. Back, 10+ years ago, I used GHS Zakk Wylde sets since they came in a nice heavy gauge. I never liked the tone as I found them too zingy when fresh, but it was convenient for the gauge. If I left them on more than a show, I'd break a string. So I just started restringing every show. I played a lot harder back then, but my excessive sweating remains the same. :laugh: I used DR's for awhile which were fine, but I didn't love them and not a fan of the round core.

I actually started buying strings in bulk from Juststrings.com because of custom gauge and frequent changing after one show. I've been pretty happy with them feel and tone wise. I still change after every show but I'm only paying like $38 for 12 "sets" so it's much easier on the wallet. If I don't have another show, I leave the strings on til the next show even if its a month down the line.

I really like the PRS strings a lot. I like the way they sound and feel right outta the package and they seem to last a long time. I occasionally buy them if I want a standard gauge for a guitar, I will get D'addario from a store if I need 'em quick.

You could try the Fender Pure Nickels. I hailed from a place where people just tell me Fender strings suck badly, but I tried it and find it to be absolutely pleasing. And they're probably easier to get, so it can be an alternative when you don't get the D'adds or PRS strings?

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to use the Fender nickels for years, and they were fine but then something happened to make me quit using them, I forget what it was now. A lot of bad sets in a row I think it was, but I forget what the actual problem was now.

The good news is though I checked back at the PRS accessories shop and the 9.5s are up again:cheers: I'd begun to consider a pack of 24k gold plated strings instead, but now I won't have to do it.

Last edited:
Back