Pup rings: who knows the trick to this?

Herr Squid

I was severely impressed
Does anybody have any secrets, tips, or tricks to getting pickup height screws started into the pickup legs? The springs on PRS' new pickup rings are pretty stout and I'm having trouble getting 'em compressed enough to get the screws in. Muchas gracias for any tips!

pupring.jpg

Compress the pickup, ring and spring in your left hand and use the screwdriver with your right hand. Or vice vesra if you're a lefty.

So just kinda grab them in a big wad with one hand and squeeze, then guide the screw in with the driver in the right hand?

Well it took two pairs of hands and a few oddball tools, but I got it!

Swearing profusely worked for me! ;)

Heh! That's always worked for me before, but the new PRS strings are much more, um, studly than other guitars I've torn apart in the past.

It took both me and my wife swearing to get it done. :D

Compress the pickup, ring and spring in your left hand and use the screwdriver with your right hand. Or vice vesra if you're a lefty.

What Shawn said. I'm right-handed, so I put the pad of my left index finger under the hole of the pickup leg, then handle the screw and spring sort of like I'm using a syringe. Get the whole schmear lined up and started in the hole, then grab the screwdriver I (hopefully!) remembered to have closeby. It's really fun when I'm dumb enough to have to do it with the strings still in place on the guitar! I loudly question my own heritage when that happens.

Goldtop

Last edited:
Back