Pulling off consistent sustain

Anim8me2

OK, so I am relatively new at electric and I am building my sustain and I have noticed that on either of my PRS (Korean SE Custom and US P24) I can't keep the sustain going for very long, especially trying to use vibrato.
I wouldn't really have as big a problem but I have an LP Traditional and I can hold sustain and vibrato for a lot longer.
Any suggestions or comments?

More often than not sustain is heavily effected by set up and small changes can have a HUGE effect.
First check your set up try raising the action a very small amount that should help increase overall sustain and make doing you vibrato easier.
second
Your Les Paul has a flatter radius ( 12 degree ) and a shorter scale ( 24.5 ish ) and I believe larger frets than your PRS ( 25" scale ) 10 degree radius which will make a difference you may just be more comfortable on a flatter radius neck

I've found that sustain lies in the hands of the player, though, like Rider1260 mentioned, the guitar needs to be just right. Some guitars do seem to "sustain for days" and others drop off more quickly, so you can't expect every guitar to be the same. Each guitar also seems to have their own resonant frequencies where some notes really pop out. It's all relative. Standing in the speaker wash of your amp can also excite the wood enough to get things moving, so don't forget to turn up! :biggrin:

Look also for bridge defects or saddle burs. You might also examine how well the nut is slotted. And the truss rod adjustment. Once the machine looks in order, try upping the string gauge. Maybe the guitar wants more tension.

I'd guess you're simply more used to the LP due to the scale length. And of course, the much thicker body will also play a role on the LP.

Keep at it, the sustain will happen as you become more used to your instruments.

Turn up the GAIN.

Just kidding. One thing that seems to be true in my experience is single cut guitars like an LP or Singlecut have great sustain compared to other designs. So unless notes are dying off really quickly I wouldn't worry.

Not familiar with your PRS models, but if they have a whammy bar they will not sustain as long as a LesPaul, with its fixed bridge and tailpiece, will. Nonetheless, good playing technique will definitely make the notes sustain longer.

Sorry I could not disagree more my Trem equipped PRSi eat my Lester for lunch sustain wise now my ME and SC58 well they do sustain pretty well ;)

Not familiar with your PRS models, but if they have a whammy bar they will not sustain as long as a LesPaul, with its fixed bridge and tailpiece, will. Nonetheless, good playing technique will definitely make the notes sustain longer.

I've noticed on both of my trem equipped S2's that certain notes sustain longer than others. I think it has to do with the natural resonant frequencies of a guitar. Maybe also some vibrational energy absorbed by the tremolo springs? My Akesson (singlecut, thick body, stoptail) is the best sustaining of my PRSi, but I don't let it get me down about the others!

I second micro-managing the nut and bridge and maybe raising the action a smidge.

String Gauge! String gauge significantly contributes to sustain. The lighter the strings, the better the sustain. I am not sure what strings come on this particular model (P24), or what you may have on yours, but piezo equipped PRS Hollowbodies have 11's. Perhaps try a lighter string gauge.

I've got just the opposite problem, if I'm finger picking on my Singlecut (and Tremonti SE to a degree) and I leave a string ringing it can make the sound seem weird as the two strings shouldn't be played together, if you see what I mean? I automatically palm damp it, that isn't a problem, I just have to be careful the way I pick.

Back