Pulled the trigger on a Paul's amp.. And there's and issue..

If the price was right, I'd apply a couple of drops of super glue on those dings and revel in the score of a great amp. Again, for the right price. I'd then send it to PRS and bring it back to new condition.

I think I might do the same thing. Again, it depends on whether you got a bargain.

I paid ***** plus ****shipping . Wonder how much it would be to send it to PRS for repair?

Last edited:
I paid $1500 plus $83 shipping . Wonder how much it would be to send it to PRS for repair?

No idea on the repair, I'd call PRS and find out - Doug Sewell is a great guy and I'm sure they'd do a great job..

Since a new CAD amp similar to that would set you back a couple of grand on top of what you paid, give or take, it would probably be well worth having the amp's builders bring it back into spec.

No idea on the repair, I'd call PRS and find out - Doug Sewell is a great guy and I'm sure they'd do a great job..

Since a new CAD amp similar to that would set you back a couple of grand on top of what you paid, give or take, it would probably be well worth having the amp's builders bring it back into spec.

A big +1 on this!

If you decide to keep it, will you be able to get a partial refund due to the condition? That would be cool, but if not, $1500 is still low enough to factor in the repairs and be happy.

The green looks really bad a$$ so of course I would vote to rescue the head. I like the super glue idea, but if you really got anal about it there's a guy on the ernie ball forum who had his scraped up transparent purple evh refinished and it came out looking like new. He sent it to Pat Wilkins Custom Guitars in Van Nuys,Ca. http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/finishing.htm

I'd be pretty happy if PRSh wrote "sings" on my amp and then signed it.

Great price IMO, you might be able to negotiate with the seller for then to foot the repair bill or maybe split the costs.

I'd be pretty happy if PRSh wrote "sings" on my amp and then signed it.

I'm going to guess that amp sounded good enough to use as a demo either on stage or on video at Experience, and that's why he noted how good it sounded. I haven't seen that on any of my PRS amps, and one of them was made for Experience a few years ago. These hand wired amps do vary a little in tone from amp to amp.

In fact, even the transformers on that model are old fashioned, with variations in spec from unit to unit. You might have a really superb example on your hands.

Not that your seller is any less of a doofus in the way he's handling this issue, but it's probably worth sending the amp to PRS.

I'm going to guess that amp sounded good enough to use as a demo either on stage or on video at Experience, and that's why he noted how good it sounded. I haven't seen that on any of my PRS amps. These hand wired amps to vary a little in tone from amp to amp. You might have a really superb example on your hands.

Not that your seller is any less of a doofus, but it's probably worth sending the amp to PRS.

+1 (a total doofus) and, I agree that you have a special amp here that's worth saving and may even become your favorite (based on PRSh's endorsement that it "sings").

That price range is good for an impending repair. My experience was similar but my failure happened a few months later (reverb transformer and tank). Yes, I had to pay for shipping but my experience with Doug and Jeff was second to none. This is coming from a long time Mesa customer. No company cares more about their products than PRS and especially the amp department. Don't hesitate, just get that amp away from an unloving home.

Yes, I had to pay for shipping but my experience with Doug and Jeff was second to none. This is coming from a long time Mesa customer. No company cares more about their products than PRS and especially the amp department. Don't hesitate, just get that amp away from an unloving home.

Funny that you mention this, because my experience is the very same -- I'm also a long time Mesa customer, and also was good friends with the guys who formerly owned Two-Rock, who really took care of me when I played their amps.

And yet, even though PRS and Doug didn't know me from the man in the moon, whenever I've had a question (it's always proven to be a tube issue, in my case, no surprises there) they were just great about helping me out with answers. My amps haven't needed to go in for work, but my interaction with PRS' amp department has been stellar in every way. Meeting Doug at the 30th Anniversary event was special.

The man really cares about the amps he's building, that is clear.

I would not care about the chip and I'd get in contact with the people at PRS regarding the issue.
I'm sure it is not something hard to fix.

PTC took great care of me, looks like you might have a special amp there Fed Ex cost me about $50 to ship to PTC
while it is there I bet they would take case of the finish also :)
As far as Ebay goes try and get a couple of bucks back but even if not you did fine IMHO

If you know that you like the type/style of amp that it is, it sure seems like it'd be worth repairing. That seems like a good deal. Reach out to PRS and see if they can give you a guess on cost of repair. When you filed for the dispute, did you say you wanted a refund or??? The amp seems like a special one, so if you could file a claim for the amount PRS would charge to fix it, that would be ideal. Hard to guess whether PRS can give you an amount before they have it there.

So I bought a Paul's amp on eBay. It arrived yesterday with some dings on the front, and when it warms up, it gets a really bad static sound. The gain doesn't affect the loudness of the sound, only the master volume. I've tried multiple sets of power tubes. And pre amp tubes.

Side note , I put in a request for a refund, but the seller is claiming the amp was perfect when shipped and that I caused all of the problems the amp is having .. Go figure.

So I may end up having to keep it and repairing it.

I also noticed it was made in August 2012, and is marked "experience " on the inside of the head cabinet. Is this a prototype possibly?

Here's the eBay listing picture

Here's the actual amp

I've also attached a short video of the noise..

Any ideas???
Consult PayPal.

I reached out to Doug Sewell. He was so kind in the email and said to send it to them and they will take care of me! I'm shipping it out tomorrow . Looks like it's staying with me.

That is excellent news. You must feel very relieved.

I reached out to Doug Sewell. He was so kind in the email and said to send it to them and they will take care of me! I'm shipping it out tomorrow . Looks like it's staying with me.
He's a man of his word. You'll get a perfect amp back. I'm excited for you!

Back