Pulled the trigger on a Paul's amp.. And there's and issue..

DGT_JJJK

So I bought a Paul's amp on eBay. It arrived yesterday with some dings on the front, and when it warms up, it gets a really bad static sound. The gain doesn't affect the loudness of the sound, only the master volume. I've tried multiple sets of power tubes. And pre amp tubes.

Side note , I put in a request for a refund, but the seller is claiming the amp was perfect when shipped and that I caused all of the problems the amp is having .. Go figure.

So I may end up having to keep it and repairing it.

I also noticed it was made in August 2012, and is marked "experience " on the inside of the head cabinet. Is this a prototype possibly?

Here's the eBay listing picture

Here's the actual amp

I've also attached a short video of the noise..

Any ideas???

Last edited:
Bummer.

The good news is that I read the word eBay in your thread, which means you're never left on the hook as the buyer. Just open a dispute and you'll get your money back no matter what.

Either one or both, depending on your level of anxiety at the moment. You'll be good, buddy. Just ride it out.

You're set. If the damage was caused by shipping, as the seller claims, it was their responsibility to insure the item and get it to you unmolested.

Well it was packed VERY well. He's not claiming it happened it shipping. He basically said I must have done the damage on purpose.which is crazy.

The seller is obviously a jerk. This is why I don't buy on ebay. Make him eat the sale.

The noise could simply be a preamp tube. Hard to say.

Sounds like a tube or filter cap issue, both easy fixes but not things I would pay for unless it was sold with the issues known to all parties. Dispute it through eBay and get it back to the seller.

OK, even though I think the seller is a complete putz for not telling you about the chip (who knows about the possible repair issue because an argument can be made about potential transit damage), and even though I said he should eat the sale, since the amp was made for PRS Experience, and is probably a pretty great amp when it's running right, it might be worth hanging onto, assuming that like any amp, a noise issue can be fixed.

My PRS DG30 amp was made for Experience, too (it's one of the "first 20" with NOS tubes installed at the factory), and it's an incredible amp.

I'd have a conversation with the folks at PRS about it anyway.

Here's the amp being used for an ad for 2012 exp amps

Here's the back at 2013 exp .. Guess it hung around PRS for a while..

It seems like a pretty special amp. Maybe it would be worthwhile to have it repaired? Of course, there is the issue of the ugly chip...if you were really into saving the amp, you could probably have the head's wood panel refinished. Although, you would probably spend a few bucks to accomplish the complete rehab.

If the price was right, I'd apply a couple of drops of super glue on those dings and revel in the score of a great amp. Again, for the right price. I'd then send it to PRS and bring it back to new condition.

Last edited:
If the price was right, I'd apply a couple of drops of super glue on those dings and revel in the score of a great amp. Again, for the right price. I'd then send it to PRS and bring it back to new condition.
+1 on this. You scored a sweet piece of gear. If it were me, I'd hang onto it and send it in for a little TLC. Granted, I speak crazy talk most of the time!

Back