Public Service Announcement: Trolls

All good points and good advice. Like I said, I'm still a work in progress.
I wasn't aiming that at you in particular as I'm guilty of lousy writing more often than not. It's just kind of funny that forums rely on good writing skills for users to make their points and it's usually the first thing we toss out while trying to quickly make a point. We're all works in progress anyway. :)

My problem is that sometimes I'm not sure if someone just wants to make interesting conversation, or is a true troll. I guess when in doubt, leave it alone.

Well if someone is a really good troll you'll never realize it until people are arguing and you notice that they haven't posted anything since the first page of a 53 page thread. A good trolling is subtle and plays on a group who has set in stone opposing views. Sometimes a trolling will backfire and will turn into a great discussion.
When someone starts name calling that's not a troll, just bad manners. I don't think a certain recent thread was a troll, just bad manners.

Well if someone is a really good troll you'll never realize it until people are arguing and you notice that they haven't posted anything since the first page of a 53 page thread. A good trolling is subtle and plays on a group who has set in stone opposing views.

Thanks for finally noticing! It feels good to be recognized. :tongue:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;157247 said:
Side note: Not everyone is a troll. Some people point out things that need to be (or should be) said but they do it in hostile ways. Either they do it for the purposes of belittling and embarrassing others or because they're socially inept (I mean hat literally, not as a slam). Everyone benefits from constructive criticism. Even PRS. The trick is to be constructive.

When people come out swinging, the value of their post is destroyed by their lust for blood or inability to communicate in a polite community. When we respond in kind, it appears as though we are taking issue with what they said instead of how they said it.

Like it or not, there are social norms in every community and those who are overtly belligerent (because they "should be allowed to speak their mind") will always get pushback from the most vocal among us. The offending party will usually write it off as typical fanboy behavior whether it's true or not. And sometimes, it is. But we all have friends and we like to protect them. I make no apologies for that.

Report posts when you think people are trolling. Mods can evaluate their profile, look at their contributions as a whole, etc. Trolls almost always use fake names, new email addresses, and/or IP masks that cannot be traced because they are, quite often, cowards.

That was kinda my second point. Inflammatory language detracts from what might otherwise be a valid and useful discussion.

I wasn't aiming that at you in particular as I'm guilty of lousy writing more often than not. It's just kind of funny that forums rely on good writing skills for users to make their points and it's usually the first thing we toss out while trying to quickly make a point. We're all works in progress anyway. :)

We're cool. I took your post constructively since I try to write, not just text, and use real English.

I see objectionable prose and it rankles me.

Alright, already! I get the point - I'll shut up!!! :bawling:

So, 2 basic new rules for me that I will try very hard to follow:
1. A troll thread or post gets a label and then complete silence.
2. Objectionable language gets the same.

Yeah - #$^@ that! :evil:

my cousins aliases on internet is notrollnogain. I believe to some degree, hes right :rofl:

Back