Public Service Announcement: Trolls

Not that it's at all relevant to this thread, but I did music for Epcot Center several years ago.

I'm pretty sure my music's not there anymore, but they actually had me flown in to hear the idiosyncrasies of the venue's acoustics so I'd know how to do the mix. I thought that was pretty cool attention to detail.

Plus, you know, fun!

Then I'm sure I heard your stuff Les, we hit WDW pretty much every year between 2000 and 2012. Any particular pavilion or location?

Then I'm sure I heard your stuff Les, we hit WDW pretty much every year between 2000 and 2012. Any particular pavilion or location?

There was a ride with a test track, and in the pavilion they had videos running of cars on racetracks, 4x4s in forests, stuff on the desert, etc. I scored the videos.

Next you'll tell us that places like Sweden and Norway actually exists.

They definitely don't exist. And as far as that goes, ask Albrecht if the Czech Republic exists. It doesn't, either.

There is a Check Republic, but it's in Iowa. The Plaid Republic is part of Oregon.

Last edited:
I think that ride is called Test Track. Sounds like you scored the pre-show videos, which I've experienced many, many times. Nice!

You-Are-Here-Earth.png

But then who took the picture?

I smell a conspiracy!!!

Scandinavia... Cold but I 'd like to visit some time... Not sure why... :iamconfused:

hot-scandinavian-girls-15.jpg

Not that it's at all relevant to this thread, but I did music for Epcot Center several years ago.

I'm pretty sure my music's not there anymore, but they actually had me flown in to hear the idiosyncrasies of the venue's acoustics so I'd know how to do the mix. I thought that was pretty cool attention to detail.

Plus, you know, fun!

You didn't by any chance know a drummer named Harvey Lang, did you?

Briefly in Orlando while he was working at Disney World.

I was in and out in a day, so I only got to meet a couple of the folks there. All of my work on the project was done in Michigan, and my audio CDs were shipped down via courier.

I did get to see/tour the underground world below the sidewalks and buildings...it is amazing!

I'm still a work in progress, as I hope we all are. I'm sharing a few little internet epiphanies just because. As a reader, you probably already know this stuff. No one should feel lectured by the following, it is not intended as such. And no one should feel attacked, as no attacks are intended.

The first thing I'll share is that having to start with the above disclaimers is onerous. The internet contains just enough bad actors that such assurances are de rigueur.

Which leads me to point 2. Text is not speech. Without inflection (or emoticons), misinterpretation of meaning or intent is all too easy. It may not seem like it from responses I have made, but I really do try to read other people's posts objectively and try not to make assumptions about what they are trying to say.

But this thread is about trolls and that is what I want to get to. We see that Han's description earlier in this thread of one of the ways to recognize a troll is all too accurate. I'm talking about how a troll will repeat objectionable or emotional content, bumping a thread to keep the hurt going. This is actually the essential feature of a troll.

It has been a most desperate personal struggle not to respond to trolling. I see objectionable prose and it rankles me. More on that in a minute. But the only way to kill a troll is to stop feeding it. I do think it is a PSA to label a thread or response a troll, but I have to even remind myself not to argue with a troll about whether of not they are in fact a troll. So, a single post labeling a thread or post may be useful, but that must be followed by total silence, no matter how inciteful the posts may be after that.

Related to the above - tactless, rude and inflammatory posts, and those laced with profanity and name calling should similarly by challenged -once. The poster needs to know that they have overstepped the boundaries of our community conversation. For me, the conversation ends with this kind of discourse and I won't re-engage the offender until they acknowledge that they are out of line an apologize.

We should not be faceless on this forum. Hiding behind the anonymity of the internet should not be an excuse to engage in conversations that would in person get you a busted nose or law suit. I have always tried to converse with others as though we were standing face to face.

So, 2 basic new rules for me that I will try very hard to follow:
1. A troll thread or post gets a label and then complete silence.
2. Objectionable language gets the same.

There are plenty of other entertaining, funny, useful and informative threads to choose from instead.

Last edited:
Good read Ruger.
I too try to keep things civil on all forums I am on, and I am a firm believer that what I type is the same thing I would say face to face.
What I witnessed yesterday was appalling.
If someone spoke to me that way in person, they would be cleaning teeth out of their toilet the next morning.

Here's the rub, Bill - trolls are "fishing for someone to take the bait". It's simple human nature. Once there is drama, the thread becomes interesting. Calling out a troll for his behavior is exactly what he wants. Why would you willingly become a pawn?

Recognizing and ignoring (while reporting) a troll is the only way forward.

Let the thread sink. Every time a troll bumps their own thread, it removes doubt for the mods.

Which leads me to point 2. Text is not speech. Without inflection (or emoticons), misinterpretation of meaning or intent is all too easy. It may not seem like it from responses I have made, but I really do try to read other people's posts objectively and try not to make assumptions about what they are trying to say.

And text is not writing. Writing does convey emotion and intent if done properly and if people can read, but both are dying skills in the world of thumb typing and trying to be witty within a 143 character size restriction. :)

Hans is right. The thing a troll wants least is crickets.

My problem is that sometimes I'm not sure if someone just wants to make interesting conversation, or is a true troll. I guess when in doubt, leave it alone.

Side note: Not everyone is a troll. Some people point out things that need to be (or should be) said but they do it in hostile ways. Either they do it for the purposes of belittling and embarrassing others or because they're socially inept (I mean that literally, not as a slam). Everyone benefits from constructive criticism. Even PRS. The trick is to be constructive.

When people come out swinging, the value of their post is destroyed by their lust for blood or inability to communicate in a polite community. When we respond in kind, it appears as though we are taking issue with what they said instead of how they said it.

Like it or not, there are social norms in every community and those who are overtly belligerent (because they "should be allowed to speak their mind") will always get pushback from the most vocal among us. The offending party will usually write it off as typical fanboy behavior whether it's true or not. And sometimes, it is. But we all have friends and we like to protect them. I make no apologies for that.

Report posts when you think people are trolling. Mods can evaluate their profile, look at their contributions as a whole, etc. Trolls almost always use fake names, new email addresses, and/or IP masks that cannot be traced because they are, quite often, cowards.

Last edited:
Back