PTC Scratch Repair

jimbo

Just picked up a PS Howard Leese Golden Eagle. On closer inspection, what I thought was a little scuff mark (which would likely polish out), turned out to be a little scratch/dig in the nitro clear coat on the mahogany body band. Fortunately, It didn't get deep enough to get to the wood. I just sent PTC an RFQ for the repair, thinking it's likely a spot repair and should be relatively inexpensive.

I realize over time, it won't stay minty forever (unless I stick it in the closet and never play it). But I'm still in the honeymoon phase and having just got the guitar, it bothers me. Part of me thinks I should just let it ride...I mean, the Anvil case is relic'd. And it's not like the top got scratched or dinged.

Should I just ignore it and move on or get it fixed? Thoughts?

It's way more subversive to treat that guitar with less care.

I say leave it an' buy another PRS.

I don't have an opinion, yet. I really need to see it to properly address the question. Maybe even hold it. THEN, I'll let you know. :vroam:

I had a spot repair done to my Cu24 last year and posted the results here: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?5385-Spot-repair-results

The cost was not insignificant, but it was worth it to me. Honestly, a refin would have been more cost-effective (more expensive than the spot repair, but more bang for the buck)... but I didn't want to mess with the mojo of the guitar. In your case, the wood isn't damaged and the finish is nitro instead of the acrylic on mine, so it may cost less to repair. Is it worth it? Depends on how it looks, I'd say. My guitar has some little specks here and there that I didn't bother to fix because they weren't as unsightly. If it's not something super noticeable then I'd say whatevs, but if it's going to bug the hell out of you every time you pick it up, then yes, get it fixed.

Another question: How long does it take for PTC to respond to request for quotes? Still waiting to hear back from them...

PTC responded to my request today. Just emailed Matt the photos so they can get me a repair estimate.

I replied with photos to Matt on 1/29...still nothing from PTC. :(

Interesting response from Matt: He says the scratch in my nitro finished guitar will require a re-finish of the entire guitar. I thought spot repairs on nitro finishes were easier than polyurethane finished guitars (which they've spot repaired on a forumite's CU22). Am I missing something?

So, I got a local luthier to look at the photos I sent to PRS and he says a spot repair on the scratch/ding is absolutely doable. So, I'm getting my local luthier to do the spot repair.

I'm definitely not having PTC do a re-finish of the entire guitar...not for a scratch/ding.

Having had two pieces of equipment damaged by the PTC and returned to me damaged, I would stay away from the PTC for repairs. My CE-22, which I sent for a neck-pocket repair (the wood was pulling away from the neck due to the wood of the guitar body shrinking) was returned with a new scuff mark and a scratch; I was going to have it fixed by the PTC, necessitating sending the guitar back to MD again, but when I saw the job they did on the finish of my HB II -the finish was flaking off of the neck/fretboard join when I received the guitar- I am pretty sure I am not going to be sending anything to be "fixed" by the PTC again. My case also came back with the handle half hanging off, only attached on one side. I have to say, they made that right by sending me a brand-new case (thanks, Shawn!)... but why would they send the original case back to me broken in the first place?

I suppose my experience is atypical, since they get glowing reports in general... but I am very leery of sending them anything at all ever again. 3 incidents of damage done by the PTC in 2 repair jobs is a big "you're out!" from me.

A full refin on nitro for a scratch would be preposterous, at least this way you get to keep it closer. Sorry to hear about the scratches in your Eagle. I got a pretty rough scratch in mine the other day and I nearly **** the bed. And mine is far from mint, so I imagine your heart must've jumped out your throat. That said, I feel even more comfortable with the guitar now that I put my first scratch into it.

A full refin on nitro for a scratch would be preposterous, at least this way you get to keep it closer. Sorry to hear about the scratches in your Eagle. I got a pretty rough scratch in mine the other day and I nearly **** the bed. And mine is far from mint, so I imagine your heart must've jumped out your throat. That said, I feel even more comfortable with the guitar now that I put my first scratch into it.

Actually, the scratch/ding is small (it's on the mahogany side near the jack). Can't really see it unless you're looking for it. But in all honesty, given that the case is relic'd and the parts are already aging with patina (like the unplated tremelo), I'm kinda getting over it...quickly. I'm where you are right now...kinda don't care anymore. Still love her though!

Having had two pieces of equipment damaged by the PTC and returned to me damaged, I would stay away from the PTC for repairs. My CE-22, which I sent for a neck-pocket repair (the wood was pulling away from the neck due to the wood of the guitar body shrinking) was returned with a new scuff mark and a scratch; I was going to have it fixed by the PTC, necessitating sending the guitar back to MD again, but when I saw the job they did on the finish of my HB II -the finish was flaking off of the neck/fretboard join when I received the guitar- I am pretty sure I am not going to be sending anything to be "fixed" by the PTC again. My case also came back with the handle half hanging off, only attached on one side. I have to say, they made that right by sending me a brand-new case (thanks, Shawn!)... but why would they send the original case back to me broken in the first place?

I suppose my experience is atypical, since they get glowing reports in general... but I am very leery of sending them anything at all ever again. 3 incidents of damage done by the PTC in 2 repair jobs is a big "you're out!" from me.

Yeah, given this and the whole PS saga currently playing out on VRF, I'm with you on this. There appears to be a lapse in quality control in-house at PRS and PRSh needs to address this ASAP, before it hurts his business. That, and I'm not re-finishing my guitar for a scratch...

Interesting response from Matt: He says the scratch in my nitro finished guitar will require a re-finish of the entire guitar. I thought spot repairs on nitro finishes were easier than polyurethane finished guitars (which they've spot repaired on a forumite's CU22). Am I missing something?

I just had the same response last month on a V12 finished guitar.

I had a few slight bubbles pop up on the neck of my Paul's Guitar. When I sent it back I was a little supprised that it required a total refin but all came out beautiful, no issues at all with the PTC in that regard.

Bad thing was that when I got it back, someone asked about the thickness of a P's G so I held it up next to my CU24, bumped the two together and dinged the body right around the input jack. It's a tiny ding but I was really mad at myself for being so careless. BTW: The P's G is McThick!

Originally posted by altoidman: "I just had the same response last month on a V12 finished guitar."

My Hollowbody II is a V-12-finished guitar and when I got it finish was literally flaking off of it (on the neck where the fretboard and the neck proper meet); I am certain it was not fully refinished as the spots where the finish had flaked off are now, on my "fixed" guitar, lighter than the surrounding areas.

The point being, my V-12 finished guitar was not completely refinished (for an admittedly different issue)... but perhaps it should have been.

Last edited:
Echoing what Bob said - Ive had tons of work done by the PTC and would never think twice. Ive listerally had instruments completely built into new instruments by them and others changed so dramatically appearance wise youd never recognize them and ever time has been a pure pleasure. When they quote you things its because they believe it is whats best for the instrument because at the end of the day, it CANNOT leave the work bench without looking like a new PRS. Their standards are high so why it may seem like they are trying to have a larger job done instead of a spot repair, theyre actually doing it for QC reasons. There are plenty of qualified repair techs and luthiers out there so dont ever feel like PTC is the only option, but know that when they do work - they freakin' nail.

Back