PTC Rosewood Treatment of somethingorother...

LJD

Can someone explain this PTC rosewood neck treatment ? I'm guessing it smoothes out the neck surface, but does it take away or add stuff to the neck?

The "Rosewood Treatment of Extreme Awesomeness" is a PTC service that makes your Brazilian Rosewood neck ultra smooth. It isn't a paint or a coating.

I don't know if they do it for East IRW necks too. I would assume so.

Click the pics to enlarge.

RTOEA_zps6f3f5148.jpg

If you look at the glare on this neck and compare it to the back of the headstock you'll get a sense of it.

RTOEA_2_zpsd4b98a28.jpg

I wish all Rosewood necks would be treated like this as a standard before shipping out of the factory...

Living in Bangkok, I only could wish for mine to have this treatment done....

But hey, there are many "treatments of really, extremely, extreme awesomeness" available in Bangkok, but that is totally different story :wink:

I haven't tried it yet, but my green ME1 is getting it done as we speak. I can't wait to get her back.

I'd love to feel one of these. I have a BRW and an IRW that feel awesome already, and another IRW that's a notch below. I'd consider doing that one first.

HOLY CRAP!!!! My green ME1 returned home today with a neck of "extreme awesomeness". I loved that guitar before. I'm not kidding, that treatment is frickin' fantastic. The name was very well-selected. Even "She who must be obeyed" raved about it. Her words were "It's so soft. I want furniture that nice." I honestly don't know what they did to it. Perhaps sanded it with ultra fine steel wool? I'm absolutely sending some of my others into the PTC. If anyone is around Cincinnati, give me a shout, and you can check it out. It feels amazing.

HOLY CRAP!!!! My green ME1 returned home today with a neck of "extreme awesomeness". I loved that guitar before. I'm not kidding, that treatment is frickin' fantastic. The name was very well-selected. Even "She who must be obeyed" raved about it. Her words were "It's so soft. I want furniture that nice." I honestly don't know what they did to it. Perhaps sanded it with ultra fine steel wool? I'm absolutely sending some of my others into the PTC. If anyone is around Cincinnati, give me a shout, and you can check it out. It feels amazing.

Road trip!

Bumping this very old thread...My 2000 IRW McCarty is now in the PTC for 'The Treatment'. Fedex reports it was delivered to them on 11/8. They stated a 2-3 week turnaround. We'll post pictures and report after it's returned.

Bumping this very old thread...My 2000 IRW McCarty is now in the PTC for 'The Treatment'. Fedex reports it was delivered to them on 11/8. They stated a 2-3 week turnaround. We'll post pictures and report after it's returned.

Love to hear your thoughts once it's back.

Bump...Sent an email to check the status, guitar will be completed and ready to ship back sometime next week. But while the guitar is already there, I approved a fret level/crown as they recommended; why not, it's a 17 year old guitar...Will update when I have the guitar back home.

Last edited:
One way in which this finish could be achieved, is for the natural pores of the rosewood to be flooded with superglue and rosewood dust to be used as a filler, matching the rosewood that the neck is constructed from.

A natural grain filler if you will.

This method is used by luthiers for fretboard inlays.

Or it could be done by unicorns using magic!!

Is the extreme awesomeness not standard on RW necks from the factory these days? Only "regular" awesomeness?
Can I ask how much more is it to become extreme?
My EIRW SC594 is getting neck envy!

Would be interested in the follow ups to this very cool service as I am about to dive into the Brazilian rosewood neck world. To the ones that had this done years ago, does the neck still look like this and feel like it did when you got it?

Thanks in advance

PRS received the guitar on Nov 8th and I just got it back today Dec 15th.

Report: The neck treatment was worth every penny. It doesn't feel as 'dry' as before and about 50% slicker. The fret work was worth the wait too...frets leveled and crowned: That's a BIG improvement. This one has the Mann Made saddle bridge: now perfect intonation. And a new head stock logo and truss rod cover.

Bottom line: It plays like a brand new 17 year old guitar. Well done PTC~!

(A rosewood control cover is on order now...can't stand the black plastic one)

And one more thing: removed the amber lampshade knobs and put the original speed knobs back on...

Last edited:
Finally got around to posting the results of 'the treatment' and though these pictures were taken months apart, different lighting, angles, etc...you can clearly see(and I can clearly feel) the 'after' and 'before'. And that after 17 years the neck WAS dried out and needed professional(PTC) help.

ukCtTUI.jpg

uF3bEyW.jpg

Kcj18te.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to posting the results of 'the treatment' and though these pictures were taken months apart, different lighting, angles, etc...you can clearly see(and I can clearly feel) the 'after' and 'before'. And that after 17 years the neck WAS dried out and needed professional(PTC) help.

How does the neck feel now? Does this treatment leave the neck feeling oily that could transfer to your hands? Interested in having this done on my 04 McCarty, but it's hard to find any info on it. Thanks!

How does the neck feel now? Does this treatment leave the neck feeling oily that could transfer to your hands? Interested in having this done on my 04 McCarty, but it's hard to find any info on it. Thanks!

It's at least 50% smoother in feel than before the treatment. There is absolutely NO oily feeling, that would be a disaster; it's dry, smooth and not glossy either. I don't know what 'conditioner' the PTC rubs into the neck, what kind of application cloth they use and/or how long it takes to do. I didn't ask and none of that was revealed to me either, but I really don't mind because it feels like a new rosewood neck to me. Best to contact Customer Support before you fill out the online web form for a PTC Return Number to ask them any questions(process, price, and especially turnaround time...)

Reminder: I made the decision to ship the guitar to the PTC worth the time and money and not only for this rosewood neck treatment. We also had: 1) A new head stock logo because the old one had been partially rubbed off by the previous owner. 2) Frets leveled and crowned because they were worn after down after 17 years.

Last edited:
Back