PTC Response Times...

jimbo

Requested a quote back from PTC on 1/26. Got a response from Matt King on 1/29 requesting pictures. I sent pictures as requested back on 1/29. I still haven't received a quote from PTC.

I even left Matt King a voicemail message Wednesday inquiring on the status of my quote...and still no response. Just left him another voicemail message today.

Is this the typical wait time for a quote from PTC? Seems slow to me...

As soon as I posted this, Matt finally responded to my quote request. His response: "In order to make the finish damage go away would require a complete refinish of the guitar. Spot repairs would not be possible as the finish could not be blended properly.".

I was always under the impression that nitro finishes could be spot repaired more easily than polyurethane finishes.

I'll say this: I'm not having my guitar completely refinished just for a scratch/ding.

Sorry- how long is the wait time once PTC receives your guitar?

Yea they got my guitar Monday so was giving them some time just curious thanks

It depends on what they are doing to it. It also depends on how backed up they are. They refinished one of mine a couple of years ago. They told me it was going to take a while. I guess my idea of a while is longer than theirs. It was on it's way back to me in just under 3 weeks.

It has two chips on the edge of the body and someone relic the maple fret board - I sent pics but they said they need to see it first- I can live with the body but the neck relic not sure

I’ve had them refinish two of mine, one early this year and one last year. Each time they quoted me 4-6 weeks. The first one back in 21’ took about 6 weeks, I bought it off Reverb and it had a lot of dents and dings that had to be repaired so that made sense. That and I had them do other work to it as well. The second one only took 4 weeks. When you send it in, you won’t get much if any coorespondance from them. You’ll just get a call or an email to confirm your shipping address and to let you know it’s coming back your way. Their work is incredible, you won’t be let down.

Waiting to hear the response because he said they had to see it

I'm waiting for over two weeks for a quote. I will probably send them a reminder

Last edited:
Like others have said, it's going to vary. I have sent two in for complete refinishes (I wanted different color schemes). I was quoted 16 weeks on both. The first one took every bit of 16 weeks (also had new pickups installed, and a couple of mini-toggles added). The second one was back to me in 3 weeks. I also sent one in for warranty work due to the V12 finish peeling at a couple of spots where the fret board meets the neck. If I remember right, I was quoted 6 week. I got it back in 4.

Everytime I hear about people getting refinished guitars from PTC I'm still amazed that PRS does this at all. Lucky us!

AFAIR they stopped refinishing guitars around covid. They must started doing this again as the first advice I got was to refinishing a whole guitar - which I don't want to do. My issue is the Phase 1 tuner holes after a phase 3 upgrade.

Back