PTC - Recommended Setup and a Simple Question

DickBanks

I've had my PRS S2 Custom 24 for about 6 weeks, and I absolutely LOVE it, now.

But when I got it, it was in need of a setup. Mainly, the frets weren't level, 4 of them, so I couldn't adjust the action where I liked it to be (4/64"). Did a fret level, crown and polish, myself, and now it's great!

Caveat:
Bought it used, but there was no evidence that anything had been touched, setup-wise.

I did some research, and when players had this issue in the past, folks on this forum recommended sending the guitar to PTC for a setup. "You'll be glad you did," said one poster.

Really? Send the guitar back to PRS, and pay additional fee for a proper setup that they should have done in the first place?

My experience with other guitars:

Gibson: US-made 2016 LP and 2016 ES-335--the LP got a plek in the factory, not sure about the 335, frets come dead level in both guitars, and the rest was great also. Plug in and play.

Fender: I own 1 USA Strat, and just like the Gibsons, it required no setup, and I have owned 3 MIM strats that all required EXTENSIVE setup (rough fret ends, frets not level, replace bridge so the trem would stay in tune, file nut properly), and of course the required pickup change out from ceramics.

I guess I'm just saying that US-built guitars should be setup in the factory.

I wouldn't send it for a setup personally. I would send it back if you want other work done.

Buying anything used there's always that risk of something being tweaked.

I wouldn't send it for a setup personally. I would send it back if you want other work done.

Buying anything used there's always that risk of something being tweaked.
Right, but someone intentionally does something that causes uneven frets?

And BTW, I would NEVER send this guitar back for this, it plays too well!

Really? Send the guitar back to PRS, and pay additional fee for a proper setup that they should have done in the first place?

Well.

That’s really not the purpose of the PTC, nor are you being fair to PRS.

If you’d bought the guitar new and it was not utterly perfect, PRS would never charge you to make it perfect. They’d make it perfect for free under the lifetime warranty, and that would certainly include fret leveling if they were uneven, and a setup. And they’d do it happily to make things right, no issues, no arguments, no BS.

You can take that to the bank, Dick.

I’ll also mention that a good dealer (mine’s Northeast Music, Jack Gretz’ shop) will send a prepaid UPS label for shipping the guitar, and you won’t be charged for return shipping, either. That’s service. So there’s no need for you to knock PRS as you’re doing.

You bought a used guitar. Point is, you’re guessing as to the setup when it left the factory, because you didn’t receive it from the factory. To make things more unfair, you’ve ignored the fact that PRS has the best warranty service in the business. Or maybe you just don’t know about it. In any case, PRS doesn’t deserve your poking a stick in their eye as you’ve tried to do.

PTC does incredible setups. You may not need that, since you appear to be handy. They also refinish, make repairs, do custom mods to factory standards, etc. The work I’ve had done there was truly superb, on a much higher level than even very fine local techs have ever done on any of my guitars.

Speaking only for myself, over the past 27 years I’ve bought an awful lot of new PRSes, both special orders and from dealer stock, and every one of them came from the factory perfectly set up to PRS’ specs and played beautifully.

Last edited:
PRS does indeed have killer customer service in and out of warranty.
I've only had two issues (1 Amp , 1 Guitar ) both fixed better than new ( both were out of warranty "used" )
I only paid one way shipping and it was worth every cent and more !!!!
Sorry you had a setup issue with you new guitar and glad you got it sorted
Now lets see the pictures or its a Hello Kitty :)

Well.

That’s really not the purpose of the PTC, nor are you being fair to PRS.

If you’d bought the guitar new and it was not utterly perfect, PRS would never charge you to make it perfect. They’d make it perfect for free under the lifetime warranty, and that would certainly include fret leveling if they were uneven, and a setup. And they’d do it happily to make things right, no issues, no arguments, no BS.

You can take that to the bank, Dick.

I’ll also mention that a good dealer (mine’s Northeast Music, Jack Gretz’ shop) will send a prepaid UPS label for shipping the guitar, and you won’t be charged for return shipping, either. That’s service. So there’s no need for you to knock PRS as you’re doing.

You bought a used guitar. Point is, you’re guessing as to the setup when it left the factory, because you didn’t receive it from the factory. To make things more unfair, you’ve ignored the fact that PRS has the best warranty service in the business. Or maybe you just don’t know about it. In any case, PRS doesn’t deserve your poking a stick in their eye as you’ve tried to do.

PTC does incredible setups. You may not need that, since you appear to be handy. They also refinish, make repairs, do custom mods to factory standards, etc. The work I’ve had done there was truly superb, on a much higher level than even very fine local techs have ever done on any of my guitars.

Speaking only for myself, over the past 27 years I’ve bought an awful lot of new PRSes, both special orders and from dealer stock, and every one of them came from the factory perfectly set up to PRS’ specs and played beautifully.
Points taken, and I stand corrected. I had no idea that the PTC service and Lifetime Warranty were married to the point of making any PRS guitar good at such a low (or NO) cost.

And the honest truth is that I was secretly happy that I had to do the fret level and polish--since I love doing it anyway. After reading your post, it occurred to me that a previous owner may have done a fret level without insuring the neck was dead straight, which would explain the uneven frets.

If I impugned the PRS brand in any way, that was not my intention--really I was just asking, and I'll gladly take my beating here to be proven otherwise.

My original plan was to buy this S2 Custom 24 used as a test to see if the PRS experience would be "all that and a bag of chips" for me, prior to considering trading up to a Core Series instrument. It definitely has made a believer out of me, but as for trading-up, I don't know. The Core models would have to really impress to make me give up this one. I don't know if they all sound as good as this one--if they do, I'm definitely hooked.

My original plan was to buy this S2 Custom 24 used as a test to see if the PRS experience would be "all that and a bag of chips" for me, prior to considering trading up to a Core Series instrument. It definitely has made a believer out of me, but as for trading-up, I don't know. The Core models would have to really impress to make me give up this one. I don't know if they all sound as good as this one--if they do, I'm definitely hooked.

I did this. After a few SE guitars I got a an S2. Then another. I sold the SE guitars. The S2s blew me away to the point where I moved to a Core. Then another. Then another. Now I have 9 Core and 3 S2 guitars.

They ALL sound as good as "this one". Some are different flavors - like my Brent Mason. That was a "slow burn". It took me several weeks to appreciate that guitar. Now I love it. Some, like pretty much anything with22 frets, covered 57/08s and a wide/fat neck, are instantly perfect. Anything (for me) with HFS/Vintage Bass pickups is a strict "no-no".....but the guitars themselves are still amazing.

I see what you did there.

I’m that guy who can’t resist a pun.

Here’s the thing about Core vs S2 - there are differences in features, pickups, hardware, and little details (plus the obvious appearance stuff), but they’re subtle when you’re playing, and until you get some playing time under your fingers and familiarize yourself with the tones/feel on tap you may or may not even notice the features and extra time spent on the Core builds.

You might find that you don’t need the Core, because the S2s are really excellent! On the other hand, guitar lust being what it is... ;)

Another part of the equation is there’s no “better,” there’s different; it’s all a question of what works for you, and helps you find your bliss.

Of course, the standard forum answer would be, “Get both!”

tenor.gif

I hate agreeing with Les... well anybody really but he's spot on. One invisible thing you're buying with PRS is customer service that's second to none. Honestly some of the best I've dealt with from any company.

I only own a core model but bought an S2 for a friend last Christmas. We were both really impressed with everything about it. Ready to play out of the box, setup was perfect and tuning only a few cents off. I was almost jealous, owning a core model and seeing how playable the S2s are.

I'd never trade my 594 for one, but functionally the S2s are really impressive guitars that are well worth the money, especially since really good deals can be found on them. Highly underrated guitar that does pretty much everything well IMO :)

I bought an S2 custom 24 used from Dave’s last month, with a katalox fretboard. My son and one of his buds liked it so much they went out and bought an 06 CE 24, and an SAS used. Each was set up like a Strat and played HORRIBLY. So the twits that sold them thought they were duds. Both boys got great bargains and great guitars. It took 8 hours to get my son’s guitar right and 4 to get his friends. People seem to buy these sometimes, think it’s an F or a G, pull the truss rod end out and then do God knows what for reasons not known to mankind. Your story doesn’t surprise me.

Back in the day, pre-PRS, anyone who came from the F or G camps had to become fairly proficient in, a.) identifying annoying playability issues AND, b.) correcting them (or open your wallet and pitch patience to the wind...few techs/luthiers are quick). Fret leveling takes patience and available time to do a meticulous job, which, since I had a day job, neither were in large supply. Everything else, I did. Having several SE, S2, and core models, I’ve found that I have to do less tweaking and adjusting as I go up in the line, but a tiny fraction of the work I’ve done to my Strats and Les Pauls. If any one guitar has a major problem, I’d bet good $$ that it was a previous owner. Morons abound and chop jobs are a plenty.

We all hate to hear stories of problems. Where G and F have had typical failures, PRS simply doesn’t. That’s why we are here celebrating the craftmanship. It’s also why people here snap at the implication to the contrary. This is just a different brand...a much better quality brand.

Points taken, and I stand corrected. I had no idea that the PTC service and Lifetime Warranty were married to the point of making any PRS guitar good at such a low (or NO) cost.

And the honest truth is that I was secretly happy that I had to do the fret level and polish--since I love doing it anyway. After reading your post, it occurred to me that a previous owner may have done a fret level without insuring the neck was dead straight, which would explain the uneven frets.

If I impugned the PRS brand in any way, that was not my intention--really I was just asking, and I'll gladly take my beating here to be proven otherwise.

Nice recovery :)

I sometimes wish I had social skills. The core models definitely impress and the variation is endless meaning quite a few unique one off production units. The Private Stock experience must be awesome, but one I can't afford it and two I really like being able to choose mine from a bunch of guitars that are available.

There are a lot of Wood Library and Artist Package guitars that nearly rival PS in my eyes. I've seen some drool worthy PS but I've seen a lot more that over indulge in directions I personally wouldn't. I've always been a minimal art kind of guy and much prefer understated class to over the top bling. I've seen many AP and WL that look very Private Stock-ish, but at half the cost.

One thing you get with a core model is the feeling of having a REALLY nice guitar in your hands and that's something that definitely adds enjoyment to the overall playing experience :)

Back