PTC limits?

Tag

I have a PS from 2006 which I love everything about except for a mistake I made when I ordered it. Back on BAM, the words chambered and semi hollow were used as one and the same. I found out the hard way they are not. I ordered a PS which i wanted to be semi hollow, but used the word chambered on the spec sheet not knowing there was any difference. After waiting 2.5 years for the guitar to show up, I found out there is. The guitar is off the charts in every way, except I always wanted the thicker and true semi hollow body. Would the PTC be able to take my guitar, remove the chambered Mahogany body and put on a semi hollow one? A refin is fine as well. I know it would be quite a job, but the top, brazzy neck fingerboard and everything else about the guitar is absolutely perfect. Would either the PTC or the PS department do this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Man I dont know, thats a hell of a job! My brain says no but my heart says yes so I can't wait to hear the official word on this. If I were a betting man I would bet no because of the possible damage the woods may inccur during the separation processes.

MLor70P.gif

Whoa! Really? Seems like a new Private Stock would be cheaper if the could do it at all. My money says no.

I would think it's physically possible...financially possible would be the bigger question.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;91697 said:
Whoa! Really? Seems like a new Private Stock would be cheaper if the could do it at all. My money says no.

I dont think woods like this would be easy to find anymore. I specifically asked for woods that were as good as anything they had ever had, or would ever see, and they delivered. :eek: Thats why it was 2.5 years for it to be finished. They did not feel the woods they had up untl that point would be good enough! Pretty amazing actually. I honestly do not feel I could find anything as nice. I have posted lots of pics of it, but these are at the dealer the day I picked it up. The thicker semi hollow body is one of the main reasons I ordered it! :( It sounds unreal, but the little added depth of the semi VS chambered really makes a difference when going for that big hollow body tone on the neck pup which is where I live 90% of the time. It would really be making this guitar what I thought I was ordering to begin with! (Which again was totally my fault! PRS was unreal in saying they would build me another even though it was my mistake! Look at that thing though. Could you walk out without it due to around 1/4" in body depth? I couldnt! )

Does anyone here know? How do I get in touch with someone from PRS to find out? Thanks again!

314604256.jpg

405723164.jpg

214213004.jpg

Braz neck.

214212981.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. Just tried. No one home. Just got the answering machine. Where is Paul when you really need him? :(

:laugh:

I would not change anything with that and instead, if money allow, will just order another PS. I have seen many top on this forum that is equal, or even better, than that these days!

I would not change anything with that and instead, if money allow, will just order another PS. I have seen many top on this forum that is equal, or even better, than that these days!

Tops are really all personal taste, but lets look again. :tongue: The quality and depth in the quilt along with the almost perfect book matching are fantastic! Its my personal favorite PRS top, although I do think my Buscarino exceeds it. (below) However, its that top, with that Brazzy neck, fingerboard and headstock overlay that just speak to ME. Its fairly beat up, so it may be a hard sell without a refin, and if I go through that, it may as well have the body I wanted added. Neck resets are very common, so I dont think it would be THAT hard. Yank the neck and cut and plane off the existing back. A big job for sure, but certainly doable. The problem is that with the thinner body, I am playing my other PSs (that have the deep body I want) all the time instead, and this is the most beautiful of all for my taste.

406589203.jpg

383718511.jpg

401778839.jpg

404383969.jpg

Last edited:
Tops are really all personal taste, but lets look again. :tongue: The quality and depth in the quilt along with the almost perfect book matching are fantastic! Its my personal favorite PRS top, although I do think my Buscarino exceeds it. (below) However, its that top, with that Brazzy neck, fingerboard and headstock overlay that just speak to ME. Its fairly beat up, so it may be a hard sell without a refin, and if I go through that, it may as well have the body I wanted added. Neck resets are very common, so I dont think it would be THAT hard. Yank the neck and cut and plane off the existing back. A big job for sure, but certainly doable. The problem is that with the thinner body, I am playing my other PSs (that have the deep body I want) all the time instead, and this is the most beautiful of all for my taste.

406589203.jpg

383718511.jpg

401778839.jpg

404383969.jpg

I did not mean that the top was not good on this one, it truly is amazing top and among the best for sure. I mean that the top like that are not that hard to find (seems to be, judging from the post I saw in this forum, especially the Private Stock Friday thread). It seems so tragedy for me to see the new guitar just returned to the factory for a complete "surgery" of that magnitude...

That PS acoustic is so unreal!!! Man, I wish I am in USA and could go to MD to pick out the wood for my first PS. I could not imagine myself order my first PS over e-mail.....

Damn that guitar is great looking!

I think routing off the back without damaging the neck and trying to save just the top will be pretty pretty tough. Once the top is off, it'll be reexposed to air on a side that has been glued tight for years, and gone who knows where to what other climate. All wood starts to move, even the really great stuff. So lets say they get that top off, and get it right back on a semihollow body, glued up with the top still not moving or separating, they still have to put the body back on a CNC part way through a machining process, so that might still take out the top.
Getting the neck out would be the easy part, aside from the epoxy holding it in.

I think when people recommend just a new Private Stock, they aren't saying sell this one - I think they are estimating that you might as well buy a new one [and keep this one] for the amount of money you'd spend to basically have a different guitar with a reused neck and MAYBE top. If you're spending similar money, why not have 2 PS instead of 1 chopped up one. I have no doubt the Private Stock will find you wood just as nice - except for the Brazzy neck perhaps.

Damn that guitar is great looking!

I think routing off the back without damaging the neck and trying to save just the top will be pretty pretty tough. Once the top is off, it'll be reexposed to air on a side that has been glued tight for years, and gone who knows where to what other climate. All wood starts to move, even the really great stuff. So lets say they get that top off, and get it right back on a semihollow body, glued up with the top still not moving or separating, they still have to put the body back on a CNC part way through a machining process, so that might still take out the top.
Getting the neck out would be the easy part, aside from the epoxy holding it in.

I think when people recommend just a new Private Stock, they aren't saying sell this one - I think they are estimating that you might as well buy a new one [and keep this one] for the amount of money you'd spend to basically have a different guitar with a reused neck and MAYBE top. If you're spending similar money, why not have 2 PS instead of 1 chopped up one. I have no doubt the Private Stock will find you wood just as nice - except for the Brazzy neck perhaps.

I honestly am very confident they can do it, and it would be WAY cheaper than getting another. Look at that neck, and the birds are pau with 14 K outlines as is the bird. Also, I have ordered and bought 2 other private stocks and sent in a picture of this top as a sample, and stated to at the least equal it.. Neither guitar has come close. All 3 PSs I own are off the charts. This one has it all and then some however. If not, I would just order another. I left a mesaage at the PTC, so I will find out soon enough. (Crossing fingers and holding breath!)

Last edited:
I honestly am very confident they can do it

Yeah they're the best in the business - no question about that. But they are also safe when it comes to minimizing risks, just like how Private Stock won't let you use your own wood. Either way keep us updated!

Yeah they're the best in the business - no question about that. But they are also safe when it comes to minimizing risks, just like how Private Stock won't let you use your own wood. Either way keep us updated!

I left them a message late this afternoon. I will probably hear from them tomorrow and explain my situation. We will see what happens!

Does anyone know the last name of the person I need to get in touch with, so I can page them on the PRS answering system? I cant seem to get through to anyone.
Thanks in advance!

I don't know the answer--Shawn would of course. My thinking is that they could do it--they can do anything, its the factory of course, but they may not due to the charter of the PTC. For example, they will not do neck replacements (repair yes), based on guidelines PRSh set for the PTC. Whether and how the fact that this is a PS factors in is also unknown. Agree that it would not be cheap in any event. I know how you feel Tag, in trying to get that "perfect feel". Good luck!

OK!!! Got a call from Matt today. A heck of a nice guy. He listened to my long drawn out story without trying to rush me off the phone in any way. being in the service industry myself, I know how VERY hard that can be. Especially with a long winded person like myself. :redface: He said it would be a job for the PS department, but he is going to see what he can do, and pull any strings he can. I explained to him how I have ordered and own 2 other PS that are the depth that I want, but how this PS was my first, and to me and for what I like, the most beautiful of any I have seen. :) (Yes I know it is totally subjective!!) I have owned many guitars, and besides my first really nice guitar (An original, first year BC Rich Mockingbird which I had for over 15 years) this has been with me the longest, (7 years and counting) and the guitar I have felt the most connection with. :proud: So now I am waiting for an answer, and am a bundle of nerves. To have that extra body depth for my style makes a huge difference, and to actually be able to have the guita that way, the way I orginnaly wanted is SOO exciting!!! Please keep those fingers crossed for me!

Back