PSR SE Custom 24 - Losing tune when using tremolo

godoy.rafa

Hi,

My PRS SE Custom 24 gets out of tune when I use my tremolo bar, but after a few bends it goes back. That said, I am assuming that the problem is not with the tuners, it is with the floating bridge.
I read somewhere that I should add the 5th spring to the bridge, and this would fix my problem.

Could you guys confirm that to me?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, Nut Sauce.
Bought some of that a few months back, next string change I will add a small amount.

A friend told me to use a sharpened pencil, as graffiti is a good "luber"... What do you think?

A friend told me to use a sharpened pencil, as graffiti is a good "luber"... What do you think?

You don't want to go anywhere near your guitar with Graffiti, lol!

Joking aside, pencil graphite is what I use to good effect, but the other products mentioned will also do the trick.

Hopefully just a bit of lube in the slots is all you'll need but you may still need to have the slots looked at or a new nut.

Make sure you stretch the strings in once you've changed them too! :)

kkk sorry about the mispelling, I am brazilian!

No problem :)

The pencil method works well. You only need a little in the slot... Just enough so you have a coating of the graphite. With the treble slots, particularly the B and Highe E, you may need to use a sharp knife to make a fine edge on the pencil tip to get it into the slots.

Just got the SE custom 24, I cannot for the life of me get it to stay in tune when using tremelo. Checked all factory adjustments and they are fine. Tried pencil in the nut, didin;t work. What about vaseline or 3 in 1 oil? Havewnt tried those yet, honestly, my bridge is creaking and I think that is the problem. I put a bit of 3 and 1 on the bridge screws like it recommends at prs, didn;t work.

Last edited:
Just got the SE custom 24, I cannot for the life of me get it to stay in tune when using tremelo. Checked all factory adjustments and they are fine. Tried pencil in the nut, didin;t work. What about vaseline or 3 in 1 oil? Havewnt tried those yet, honestly, my bridge is creaking and I think that is the problem. I put a bit of 3 and 1 on the bridge screws like it recommends at prs, didn;t work.

See my reply in the "tech center" thread, but basically the SE CU24 is setup with 9s from the factory. If you've put 10s on it the strings may be binding in the nut slots and I don't think lubing will help.

I replaced the tuners on my Santana SE with Grover 406N's. I filed the nut slots and lubed them: No luck, the tuning problems continued. Adding the locking Grovers fixed the tuning problem instantly.

Did you put larger strings on your guitar. Comes with .009. If you put 10s or larger on could have binding at nut. Also check to see if the trem is floating correctly. Pitching too far forward or backward.

Did you put larger strings on your guitar. Comes with .009. If you put 10s or larger on could have binding at nut. Also check to see if the trem is floating correctly. Pitching too far forward or backward.

I put 10's on mine after I put the new tuners on it.

Back