PS build questions

stratlanta

How do brushstroke birds fly?
Sorry if this is off topic - I can ask elsewhere if more appropriate - but what's the PS ordering process like? I've read the details on the PRS site but I'm wondering what turn around times are like, if it's worth it for something that isn't wildly outrageous in terms of spec, etc? I'm not in a hurry. If I did it it would be something that would be worth waiting for, so I'm more curious than anything else. Wanted to get a feel for it before reaching out to a dealer.

Sorry if this is off topic - I can ask elsewhere if more appropriate - but what's the PS ordering process like? I've read the details on the PRS site but I'm wondering what turn around times are like, if it's worth it for something that isn't wildly outrageous in terms of spec, etc? I'm not in a hurry. If I did it it would be something that would be worth waiting for, so I'm more curious than anything else. Wanted to get a feel for it before reaching out to a dealer.

Your best bet is to ask those questions to your dealer...while the process is basically the same, how often they go and when the next trip to the vault is occurring will have an impact on the time factor.

Your best bet is to ask those questions to your dealer...while the process is basically the same, how often they go and when the next trip to the vault is occurring will have an impact on the time factor.
ahh interesting... thanks

I think the minimum I've seen is 6 months, but it's more like 9-12 these days. Yes, even with something non-fancy, because they start from scratch. And yes, the experience is slightly different from dealer to dealer, so you definitely want to ask your dealer, or the dealer you plan on going through.

If it's that non-fancy, you may consider an artist package or even a wood library run. You can order any of the options of the guitar you want from the artist package specs portion of the model's page, including hardware. You'd still have to go through a dealer, though, to get a quote.

Your going to absolutely love it. I had one made a couple years ago right after the SE's came out and it was announced that the wonderful Private stock team would make a replica of his. Your right, it wasn't cheap, but I'll never regret it.
Mine is PS #3536 Manufacture date of 9-29-2011
So cool to see another Mahoney mega fan. Enjoy !!!!!
I'm looking at quoting a PS Mahoney. I'd love to hear about your experience went.

will you get different price quotes for the same PS build from different PS vendors? Or will it be the same from one to another? Should you shop your build around?

will you get different price quotes for the same PS build from different PS vendors? Or will it be the same from one to another? Should you shop your build around?

Considering that it's a no-holds-barred kind of build, the important question is whether you should find a dealer who's experienced and knowledgeable, and who has a great relationship with PRS.

Being guided through the process is a big deal, as is communication both with you and PRS.

I don't know, and I don't think anyone's done that. I doubt it'd be much, if at all.

Yeah I just put in a deposit for a PS build. In the end I went with a dealer who had a good reputation, had a lot of experience with PS builds and who I'd worked with before. Those things all seemed more important than a few dollars here or there. Based on research I think I got a fair price but I really wanted someone who could guide me through the process.

Yeah I just put in a deposit for a PS build. In the end I went with a dealer who had a good reputation, had a lot of experience with PS builds and who I'd worked with before. Those things all seemed more important than a few dollars here or there. Based on research I think I got a fair price but I really wanted someone who could guide me through the process.

If you went with the guy who spec'd the guitar pictured in your avatar...you made a great choice.

A PS will exceed your expectations in every way.

I think the minimum I've seen is 6 months, but it's more like 9-12 these days. Yes, even with something non-fancy, because they start from scratch. And yes, the experience is slightly different from dealer to dealer, so you definitely want to ask your dealer, or the dealer you plan on going through.

If it's that non-fancy, you may consider an artist package or even a wood library run. You can order any of the options of the guitar you want from the artist package specs portion of the model's page, including hardware. You'd still have to go through a dealer, though, to get a quote.

Wood Library runs have a minimum quantity of 10 now though, so you need to be working with a dealer in advance of an intended run in order to get what you want if it's a little bit off the beaten path. Not impossible in the US as there seem to be a few dealers who do them on a regular basis.

Back